Famous Alumni? Cool Stats? Rankings?

WIFE2HOT4U

Famous Alumni? Cool Stats? Rankings?

Not just Sports…

Music, $, Politics, Departments, etc.

Anyone?

I have a couple of older guys here @ work and their kids will be going to UNT.

I want to be able to throw some Names, stats, etc @ them.

I’ll start – “Mean Joe Green”

Norah Jones

Larry McMurtry

Dr. Phil

Phyllis George

Roy Orbison

Peter Weller

Also, the North Texas Journalism department has 7 Pulitzer Prize winners, the NT 1 O'Clock Lab Band is the only (I think) collegiate band to win a Grammy.

North Texas is doing cutting-edge research in neurobiology and plant biology. We also have the only atom smasher in the state. Our MBA program was just named one of the top 25 best buys for an MBA program in the country, and we have one of the most wired campuses in the nation.

Norah Jones

Larry McMurtry

Dr. Phil

Phyllis George

Roy Orbison

Peter Weller

Also, the North Texas Journalism department has 7 Pulitzer Prize winners, the NT 1 O'Clock Lab Band is the only (I think) collegiate band to win a Grammy.

North Texas is doing cutting-edge research in neurobiology and plant biology. We also have the only atom smasher in the state. Our MBA program was just named one of the top 25 best buys for an MBA program in the country, and we have one of the most wired campuses in the nation.

When I was 17, my momma told me not to get a tatoo of Roy Orbison on my right butt cheek.

But what momma doesn't know won't hurt her.

NCMeangreen...

Just kidding! Seriously, though, I will also add the fact that some good bands/musicians originate from NT. Faktion, Brave Combo, The Eagles (Don Henley), Deep Blue Something <Breakfast at Tiffany's group>(are they still a group?), Mingo Fishtrap, Riddle Me This?...I am sure some other music lovers can come up with soem more.

Then there is he guy who wrote the screenplay for "Brokeback Mountain"...

OK, what about "Stonecold" Steve Austin, Peter Weller, Brian Waters, Patrick Cobbs, Abner Haynes, Dr. Phil, Pat Boon, Thomas Hayden Church (Wings actor), Joe Don Baker (actor), Phyllis George, Ray Renfro

Look at this website: Famous NT Alumni

I heard singer Michael Martin Murphey (of "Wildfire" fame) went to NT for a while.

Meat Loaf.

And Morgan Fairchild. She was a Zeta.

Also, Eric Pegram.

Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey isn't an alumn, but he taught at NT before his election to Congress.

Ann Sheridan, an actress from the 1940s; she played on the women's basketball team.

Bill Moyers.

All I can think of right now.

Guest JohnDenver

Thomas Haden Church

Firsts:

* First jazz studies program in the U.S., which is consistently ranked the nation's best.

* First emergency administration and disaster prevention program in the U.S.

* First peace studies program in the Southwest.

* First oil and petroleum accounting program in the U.S.

* First patent for silicon-based ultra-sensitive chemical sensor for use in integrated circuit fabrication.

* First business computer information systems program in the U.S.

* First PhD program in art education in the U.S.

* First bachelor's degree in electronic merchandising in the U.S.

* First online school library preparation program in the U.S.

* First accredited counseling program in the U.S., which still ranks among the nation's best.

* First school in the country to offer a degree in Mechanical and Energy Engineering

* First college in the South to integrate; Class of 1956 was first integrated graduating class.

Edited by JohnDenver

i am pretty sure Norah never graduated, that makes her an ex-student, not an alum... and as a recent alum (of one week) i don't think its right to give a celebrity alum status because of their status

anyone second that?

i dont know how thats any different than awarding someone an honorary degree for some great acheivement. she's won several grammys after she got her start at NT. good enough for me. I'll claim her.

i am pretty sure Norah never graduated, that makes her an ex-student, not an alum... and as a recent alum (of one week) i don't think its right to give a celebrity alum status because of their status

anyone second that?

To decide you have to ask yourself one simple question... "Is she hot?"

in this case yes, so she passes the litmus test.