Which player makes or breaks the 2006 season?

Harry

The purpose of this poll is to identify the player that you think can raise the level of play of the entire team. It's not an easy question, however the good news is there are several possibilities that make this a tough decision.

I'm going with Issac Thomas. If this guy can play at the level he's capable of it will change the face of the defense. The linebackers will get more tackles and it will take pressure off of the safeties to protect the middle of the field. I also think strong play from Ike will make the 3-4 a much more viable defense.

I think there are arguements that can be made for all of these guys as being huge keys to a successful season this year however and I look forward to some of your thoughts. I just believe that a strong athletic nosetackle could turn this defense back into what it was before, when #92 roamed the field.

Also, feel free to add names to the list and I will get them in the poll. GMG!

This is a hard one, especially at QB. I can't pick a specific QB, but whoever gets the role 

will be a big factor in the team's success. At RB, if Jamario were to go down, there are a number of guys that are chomping at the bit to get the ball, and I don't doubt their abilities. Deavin Cox, anyone?

There might be some chomping at the bit, but they are unproven, while JT has shown he is a gamebreaker. Guessing time will tell, but RB will be a huge factor on how well our QB plays.

I picked Banks, because I think an improved OL is the key to the season, and we know what Lineberry brings to the table. A close second was Thomas, but I think we have the depth in the event something happened to him.

JT was another possibility, but if his hamstring acts up, I believe Mitchell and Cox are more than adequate to take over this running game, a running game that will rely on improved OL play.

Isaac Thomas.

There were at least 3 games last year that if the DL can buckle up and make a stop, game over. Troy's backfield gashed the MG last year and gave me a frowny face.

Actually line play is the biggest factor this year on both sides of the ball, IMO. QB is second. mellow.gif

Isaac Thomas.

There were at least 3 games last year that if the DL can buckle up and make a stop, game over.  Troy's backfield gashed the MG last year and gave me a frowny face. 

Actually line play is the biggest factor this year on both sides of the ball, IMO.  QB is second.  mellow.gif

Agreed. Also, where is Chad Rose(or whoever our projected Center is) on this list?

I voted Jamario with strong consideration for Issac Thomas and Matt Phillips. I am truly looking forward to a healthy Jamario this season getting a majority of the carries like he did a couple of years ago. I know that the offensive line needs some improvement as well...but Jamario is such a talent/gamebreaker that he can be a real difference even behind a mediocre offensive line. Establishing a strong running game again early next year will be of great importance in getting the offense back on track (at least by NT standards).

As LongJim stated...Issac Thomas will be a huge difference maker on defense if he stays healthy and plays to his potential. We were gashed on the defensive line all last year (even by mediocre running teams) and when we got into conference play, this was the difference between winning and losing several of those games.

The purpose of this poll is to identify the player that you think can raise the level of play of the entire team.  It's not an easy question, however the good news is there are several possibilities that make this a tough decision.

I'm going with Issac Thomas.  If this guy can play at the level he's capable of it will change the face of the defense.  The linebackers will get more tackles and it will take pressure off of the safeties to protect the middle of the field.  I also think strong play from Ike will make the 3-4 a much more viable defense.

I think there are arguements that can be made for all of these guys as being huge keys to a successful season this year however and I look forward to some of your thoughts.  I just believe that a strong athletic nosetackle could turn this defense back into what it was before, when #92 roamed the field.

Also, feel free to add names to the list and I will get them in the poll.  GMG!

Have to agree with you and LongJim. Improved DL play last year would have been the difference in at least a couple of games......if not more. So my vote goes for Ike.

I would have voted Jamario because we really need a solid running game, but we also need to have a breakout year on the O-line in order to establish any sort of running game. I voted for Chad Rose because if he can step up his game, maybe the rest of the O-line can step up and do well. Jamario has the talent to run wild provided that his O-line blocks for him and provides him holes to run through. (Although we really REALLY REALLY need a dependable QB!!) Come on Chad, don't disappoint me!

Jamario = #1 Remember how you felt when he broke that first run against Colorado in '04?

Isaac Thomas = #1A Remember how it felt to know that nobody could run on us up the middle, and every defensive down was a potential sack?

The right answer, however, is probably Matt Phillips. I just haven't been a Mean Green fan long enough to know what it is to have a passing game.

Edited by pollock

Guest GrayEagleOne

This would be easier if divided into two questions: Who will be the offensive MVP and who will be the defensive MVP?

The offense needs the most improvement and that improvement must come from the quarterback. Our offense was #116 last year. We can only drop three lower than that. Patrick had a pretty decent year running last year so even if Jamario returns to form, he'll be hard-pressed to elevate us that much. On the other hand if the quarterback is effective and we can have a more balanced attack, then they can't key on Thomas all of the time. I think that Phillips is the key here because he seems to be making better decisions, is the better passer and seems to be a leader. Wilson has more spped, better running ability and raw talent but he'll only get a chance if Phillips can't deliver. My vote....Phillips.

The defense didn't fare much better, coming in at #103, with the rushing defense the worst part of that. Since we'll run the 3-4 a lot this year, the nose tackle becomes a crucial position in the defense, much like the quarterback on offense. If Isaac Thomas can sustain for a full season what we have seen in flashes, then he is the answer. Apparently, it can't be the safety because Aaron Weathers had about as good a year as can be had at that position and, although he saved us numerous times, it wasn't enough.

Everyone listed is important. They all need to improve their level of play. Some had good years last year but this year needs to be even better. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Jamario being healthy makes or breaks our year I think. We are a run team, plain and simple.. Isaac Thomas will tell the defensive story, and in the spring he showed why we were so serious about that guy. We have a guy like that last year and we dont lose a couple of games.. wouldnt make much difference on last years team. This year will be a different story. Jamario is back, and we will have a QB who either throws downfield bullets, or runs like one.

I feel good about our upcoming team. I still think J-Mo makes us or breaks us, but at least Quinn, B-Jacks and company have a shot at making plays.

8-4, and a conference title... I could live with that for this year. Just PLEASE beat SMU at home.

GMG!!!