OK Coach Dickey Here Is Your Chance

adman

So Vince Young is going pro. Texas will have a new QB and no matter how good he is he won't be able to single handedly win games the way VY could.

So here is your chance to beat the national champs, in their house, first game of the season. There will be tremendous pub going into this game simply because it's the first of the season and all the media outlets will overlook poor little ol'North Texas.

The table is set. And you have an opportunity to serve four courses of football the likes of which no one has seen. Will it be easy. No. Does Texas have better facilities? Yep. More money? Absolutely. Better athletes? Indeed. So the question is do they have a better coach? Prove they don't. Spend every waking moment from now until September devising such an ingenious game plan people will swear you either sold your soul to the devil or paid the opposing team to take a dive.

It's all up to you.

One of my good soccer buddies is a UT alum and has season tix. Last year at a game we asked where the wife was and he said Austin with their season tickets. He decided not to go because he didn't want to travel 4 hours to see ULL. Here's hoping he has the same opinion about UNT next year, so I can get a free ticket. That's the only way you'll see me there, that and really really drunk.

For this dream to occur, the first step is to get JT healthy and in freshman year shape. A couple of first half breakaways could at least keep us in the game. Also, DD better make sure that the OL bunks in the weight room for the next 8 months. Just a couple of the dozen or so things that need to happen for us to pull it off.

Stranger things have happend. If J-MO gets into playing shape. QB issues resolve. I don't see an upset but more like a good game. If we play our offensive game and not play that hand off to keep the clock moving deal that we always seem to do then who knows.

Here is your Game Plan: 9 in the box. Make a Frosh pass like crazy! Get them in 3rd and (anything) long prefered!

Yes they will hit some big pass plays but will wear them down!

On offense! put in a 9 person protect and run 25 yd patterns to J. Quinn. I mean 25 yard ins. Not the deep ball but controlled passing.

Am I making sense or what?

UT 48

UNT 14

GO UNT

And yes I will be there no matter what the score!

My dream come true to knock off Texas and as the defending National Champions would make it twice as tasty. I also expect to win Lotto Texas Wednesday night.

Most coaches would see this as a great opportunity!

If UNT wanted the most media ever for beating Texas, this would be the year to do it. Hint: don't bet your house.

The table is set. And you have an opportunity to serve four courses of football the likes of which no one has seen.  Will it be easy.  No.  Does Texas have better facilities?  Yep.   More money?  Absolutely.  Better athletes? Indeed.  So the question is do they have a better coach?  Prove they don't.  Spend every waking moment from now until September devising such an ingenious game plan people will swear you either sold your soul to the devil or paid the opposing team to take a dive. 

It's all up to you.

This sets up this question in which I am interested hearing your feedback.

IF, I mean IF, DD devises the game plan that knocks off UT, would it suffice to say that same game plan could pretty much do it for the rest of our games?

If the answer is yes ... then I'd be spending every minute doing so.

But seriously, our defense still doesn't match well at all. Can our corners or safeties cover that 6'5 WR named Snead or Sweed or something like that? He'd just have to put his hands in the air above his head to catch the ball over our leaping 5'10 guy. Nice to have those targets as a freshman QB without any pressure coming at him from the DL. If I remember correctly, their 2nd and 3rd string players were walking up and down the field on us last time. This would make those guys the juniors/seniors now?

BUT, it would be sweet justice for FFR and some others that suffered through the '88 fiasco for UT to eat some humble pie next September. I just want to see our guys go out fighting and keep fighting with the coach giving them their best shot. I will not be able to handle another 65-0 loss.

Edited by FireFightnJoey

Guest UNTMike81*

If UNT wanted the most media ever for beating Texas, this would be the year to do it.  Hint: don't bet your house.

This brings to mind 1988. I was in the hopital having eye surgury, so I was about 2 inches away form the TV all game long. lucky I don't have brain cancer from being so close to the TV. Anyway, we were robbed by the SWC officals in Austin that day. This was the best game I've ever seen UNT play in my life. One of UT's WR's caught a touchdown pass at the end of the 4th quarter a full two yards out of bounds in the endzone. Yes, he did catch the ball a full two year out of the back of the Texas end zone.

UT won the national championship with VY's knee down, but back in 88 a blind man literally saw a UT WR catch a ball for a Touchdown way out of bounds.It's hard for me to believe the ref's that day were more blind than I was.

Texa must have a lot of college football ref's on their payroll. I bet they've spent more money over the years on the ref's than SMU used to spend on recruites.

If DD and the our team stays in next years game and actually has a shot at the win, don't be surprised if you see a replay of 88. I don't which would hurt more. Staying close at the end while leading the game, and have the magic ref. penalty, or getting blown out again by a wide margin. I've learned both hurt equally the same.

Go Mean Green!!

GO MEAN GREEN.

He's got an opportunity to nail the national champs again. This time, UT and not OU.

As for the 88 game, I guess you'd have to see the players on each team to see what the matchups were. Maybe someone from around that time knows the height/weight matchups at each position to see if maybe that had something to do with it. It also may have been a matter of coaching, and if so, here's where Dickey really shows us his stuff.

Stranger things have happend. If J-MO gets into playing shape. QB issues resolve. I don't see an upset but more like a good game. If we play our offensive game and not play that hand off to keep the clock moving deal that we always seem to do then who knows.

Here is your Game Plan: 9 in the box. Make a Frosh pass like crazy! Get them in 3rd and (anything) long prefered!

Yes they will hit some big pass plays but will wear them down!

On offense! put in a 9 person protect and run 25 yd patterns to J. Quinn. I mean 25 yard ins. Not the deep ball but controlled passing.

Am I making sense or what?

UT 48

UNT 14

GO UNT

And yes I will be there no matter what the score!

And please, please, please let the cornerbacks play up in closer coverage with the UT wide receivers. Don't show them a 10 yeard cushion to keep from giving up the deep pass - you end up getting nickeled and dimed all the way down the field. Oh, and please get the defense some practice with the dummies this off season and discuss the advantages to wrapping up the players in a tackle.

I was just reading these, and thinking to myself "Good Grief I wish Spring Practice would get started." I know people on this board will go watch practices, I try to make a few of them myself. What if we got a big sign that says something like "UNT Top 25" or "Nothing less than Top 25" or how about "Dickey - Give us 25". Maybe it would help our players and coaches better understand what our expectations and demands are.

Do you remember when Mark Cuban hung up the signs about how bad our defense was in the Post Season to motivate the players to step up their game? Maybe we should do something like that.

Good idea? Or less than Good idea?

So Vince Young is going pro.  Texas will have a new QB and no matter how good he is he won't be able to single handedly win games the way VY could. 

So here is your chance to beat the national champs, in their house, first game of the season.  There will be tremendous pub going into this game simply because it's the first of the season and all the media outlets will overlook poor little ol'North Texas. 

The table is set. And you have an opportunity to serve four courses of football the likes of which no one has seen.  Will it be easy.  No.  Does Texas have better facilities?  Yep.  More money?  Absolutely.  Better athletes? Indeed.  So the question is do they have a better coach?  Prove they don't.  Spend every waking moment from now until September devising such an ingenious game plan people will swear you either sold your soul to the devil or paid the opposing team to take a dive. 

It's all up to you.

That's a nice attitude and all but I will be astonished if we can stay within 35 of UT.

We can only hope; however, only when some place that is really hot freezes over biggrin.gif

You mean Hell, Michigan?

But a scenario like adman would be a great selling point to some 4 or 5 star recruits. Especially those who have had say, an uphill battle though life and who like a challenge. ph34r.gif

But a scenario like adman would be a great selling point to some 4 or 5 star recruits.  Especially those who have had say, an uphill battle though life and who like a challenge.  ph34r.gif

I actually agree with you Rudy! haha

I think they should play this angle all the time with what we are building here. Some people like to go to well established programs where its already all been done, and all you have to do is play your part. Others like to step out a little and do something different, take a chance and help it BECOME something great. I think we probably have a lot for guys like that already, but Id love to see us bring in some more.

All of you are crazy!  Don't let the fact that Vince is no longer a Longhorn get you thinking for 2 seconds that we have a CHANCE at beating Texas.

If you honestly think that we have a chance at beating Texas you are sadly mistaking!

I mean seriously!

Whether or not we have a chance is not what matters. What is, is the attitude it takes to be a winner. If you approach any game with "We don't have a chance" then you will enter that game with a self fulfilling prophecy. If you believe you don't have a chance then you will not try. You are a defeatist. That is simply not good attitude. I would hope that any coach would attempt to instill the proper attitude in his players and devise a game plan that fortifies the will to win.

Edited by UNTBill

Whether or not we have a chance is not what matters.  What is, is the attitude it takes to be a winner.  If you approach any game with "We don't have a chance" then you will enter that game with a self fulling prophecy.  If you believe you don't have a chance then you will not try.  You are a defeatist.  That is simply not good attitude.  I would hope that any coach would attempt to instill the proper attitude in his players and devise a game plan that fortifies the will to win.

apparently Coach Dickey has not gotten that memo when dealing with OOC games. dry.gif

All of you are crazy!  Don't let the fact that Vince is no longer a Longhorn get you thinking for 2 seconds that we have a CHANCE at beating Texas.

If you honestly think that we have a chance at beating Texas you are sadly mistaking!

I mean seriously!

Sure we have a chance and that chance is 50 - 50. We either will or we won't.

But my point is considering they have "better" athletes, better facilities, more money, more fans, etc, etc, etc the only way we will win is by better coaching, better game planning and that's soley up to Dickey. He has roughly 8 months to prepare and prove to the world he is a better coach than Mack Brown.

texas is going to pay the piper this coming year now that the stud is gone.

They are going to lose at least 3 games in Austin and Mack will be receiving luggage tags for Christmas - mark it.

All of those thrashings are going to get unleashed on the horns in '06 and the list to stand in is long!

North Texas has every right to still be stewing in humiliation from that 65-0 game. I hope the entire staff still stings and preps to leave it on the field Labor Day weekend.

the orange demise is going to be fun to watch - punches from

North Texas, OSU, CU, Kansas, Okie State (next year's Big 12 champion Sooners), getting gunned up in Lubbock. It is going to be a great year of college football and I am confident with the scrutiny on Dickey's OOC record our team is going to show up and play with some heart.

Time to pay the piper!

Looking forward to the texas tumble!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are going to lose at least 3 games in Austin and Mack will be receiving luggage tags for Christmas - mark it.

All of those thrashings are going to get unleashed on the horns in '06 and the list to stand in is long!

North Texas has every right to still be stewing in humiliation from that 65-0 game.  I hope the entire staff still stings and preps to leave it on the field Labor Day weekend. 

North Texas, OSU, CU, Kansas, Okie State (next year's Big 12 champion Sooners), getting gunned up in Lubbock.  It is going to be a great year of college football and I am confident with the scrutiny on Dickey's OOC record our team is going to show up and play with some heart. 

Time to pay the piper! 

Umm... I don't know about all of that. I just hope we go in there and play smart hardnosed football and who knows what could happen.

It will take a mistake free game. I'm excited about it.

Edited by ipEAGLE

North Texas has every right to still be stewing in humiliation from that 65-0 game.  I hope the entire staff still stings and preps to leave it on the field Labor Day weekend. 

North Texas, OSU, CU, Kansas, Okie State (next year's Big 12 champion Sooners), getting gunned up in Lubbock.  It is going to be a great year of college football and I am confident with the scrutiny on Dickey's OOC record our team is going to show up and play with some heart. 

Time to pay the piper! 

hahahahaha

riiiight...

What is tech bringing to the big12? they have to replace their QB and their best RB in years. I could see OU winning the Big12 next year though.

Oh and before Vince, Texas wasnt't winning 9-10 games a year. Before Vince they weren't blowing people out at home openers....

Oh wait, they were. Our best effort in a decade+ netted us a 27-0 loss. Impressive. They still have a killer defense. They have an O-line that will allow all four of those RB's to eat us alive. If I were DD, I would blitz all day long from every angle. Make whoever the new QB is beat us with his arm, and make sure he is NEVER comfortable back there.

Our only chance to win this game comes from having a solid defense, and I have seen nothing to indicate our defense will be much improved by next year. Hope I am wrong. It would also help to have the JT from freshmen year again

Edited by Eagle1855