Fort Worth Star Telegram reporting

eulesseagle

Guest JohnDenver

I do not have the link but I have met several K-State alum and they all state that DD's dad was an icon and they all love DD when he was at K-State.

I have always heard they hated DD when he was there. He had a losing record and was terrible at throwing the ball. He had the reputation that he only started because his dad was the coach. That is always the impression I get from Dickey himself.

Posted on Wed, Nov. 16, 2005

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

DARRELL DICKEY

More photos

Patterson, Dickey have ties to KSU

By WENDELL BARNHOUSE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

As soon as Bill Snyder announced Tuesday that he would retire as Kansas State's coach after Saturday's 2005 season finale with Missouri, the speculation regarding his successor stirred considerable dust along the I-35 corridor.

TCU coach Gary Patterson, North Texas coach Darrell Dickey and Oklahoma assistants Brent Venables and Chuck Long were some of the first names to pop up on the list of potential candidates.

Patterson, who played at Kansas State and was a graduate assistant there in 1982, before the Snyder era, is expected to be considered.

On the Mountain West football coaches' teleconference Tuesday, Patterson was noncommittal but admitted that "everyone dreams about going back to their alma mater."

Dickey, who played quarterback at Kansas State from 1979-82, didn't shy away from showing his interest.

"It's a BCS school; it's in the Big 12 Conference," he said. "I would be lying if I said it wasn't an interest of mine, but right now my focus is on trying to beat Louisiana-Monroe."

Venables, Oklahoma's co-defensive coordinator, is a former Kansas State player and was an assistant under Snyder from 1993-98.

"There's a lot to be said for people who have gone through the process [here]," Snyder said during his news conference Tuesday. "That doesn't mean somebody from the outside couldn't fit that bill. There are some unique traits that would be necessary."

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who was an assistant on Snyder's staff from 1989-95, said Venables would be a good successor.

"That's a natural thought process. ... ," Stoops said. "Brent is an excellent coach. ... Absolutely, he would be a great fit."

Venables said said that, if Kansas State wanted to talk to him, he would definitely listen.

Long, Oklahoma's offensive coordinator, played at Iowa and finished as Heisman Trophy runner-up with Snyder as his offensive coordinator.

SMU coach Phil Bennett, who was Snyder's defensive coordinator for three seasons before taking the Mustangs' job in 2001, is likely to be considered.

Current Kansas State defensive coordinator Bob Elliott also could be on the list of possible replacements.

Edited by OldTimer

I have always heard they hated DD when he was there. He had a losing record and was terrible at throwing the ball. He had the reputation that he only started because his dad was the coach.  That is always the impression I get from Dickey himself.

That's not what I've heard from some friends who were there at the time.

He did lead them to their first ever bowl. And I'm not sure about his being "terrible at throwing the ball" since for a while he was their all time leading passer.

Obviously, the team had a winning record the year they went to their first ever bowl.

Just think about it - till DD was the QB at K State, NT had been to more bowl games than K State!

Edited by VideoEagle

So, if all the speculation around here comes true, we could lose DD and RF in one offseason?

I know the Hallelujah chorus would begin for some of you but I just hope the old "careful what you wish for" adage doesn't start echoing around Denton. You may not like one/both of them but at a time when recruiting and continuity are at a premium this would be a heavy pill to swallow.

So, if all the speculation around here comes true, we could lose DD and RF in one offseason?

I know the Hallelujah chorus would begin for some of you but I just hope the old "careful what you wish for" adage doesn't start echoing around Denton.  You may not like one/both of them but at a time when recruiting and continuity are at a premium this would be a heavy pill to swallow.

Agreed. While I have been a proponent for us moving forward without DD, there is some anxiety in who we could bring in. That is why I have said that for us to jump to the next level, the university has to be willing to go for it and bring in the right person, even if it costs a little more, otherwise this is a waste of time. With DD, at least we know what we get.

Its definately a roll of the dice, but sometimes teams come up big, and I think we could. We have created an environment where someone could really thrive.

Of course, there are teams you could point out that support and contradict this. Syracuse, Nebraska, A&M etc... they are probably scratching heads right now. Texas, UTEP, OU, TCU, etc have done well since hiring their new coaches.

How bout bringing in ole Rick Neuheisel? haha, wouldn't that be fun... what is it they say, any PR is good PR?

Scary, huh? They reported this on 103.3 ESPN, too.

I'd take aim at the TCU coach or the OSU assistants before I look at DD. He'd be a great fit and he'd be able to recruit kids for KState, but I don't know about much more than that. Maybe the fans will like him at KState more than he feels he's liked here.

I'm certain that if KState pays the pony, DD will probably move to KState.

So-those of us who really want that new coach, who do you look at? Let's see some names and background!

maybe DD could the OC job at KSU if the new copach decides to overhaul the staff, apparrently he might make just as much and of course get away from all of us UNT fans who bitch and moan b/c we know absolute squat about coaching football and 6-5 or 5-6 every year is ok. rolleyes.gif

I think its quite plausible for dickey to get the job. His dad was well thought of. Dickey is young, he's barely 40 and has a track record of building a strong program from the ground up. He's a good recruiter and has strong ties in texas. Dickey has the reputation as a players coach and I believe you need that at k-state. They don't get the cream of the crop recruits and have to bring in jucos to compete. I think this season will be overshadowed by what dickey accomplished in the last 4.

I think its quite plausible for dickey to get the job.  His dad was well thought of.  Dickey is young, he's barely 40 and has a track record of building a strong program from the ground up.  He's a good recruiter and has strong ties in texas.  Dickey has the reputation as a players coach and I believe you need that at k-state.  They don't get the cream of the crop recruits and have to bring in jucos to compete.  I think this season will be overshadowed by what dickey accomplished in the last 4.

I hate being a bearer of bad news but winning the 4 Conference Titles probably will not mean squat to most bigger schools. His TX ties obviously are great, but honestly I think they will find someone with a much stronger 1-A background, if Bennett and Dickey are on a list why not Blakely from Troy, he has shown he can take an underdog team into hostile stadiums and win.

I do agree DD has done great on rebuilding the program, but the test would be if he can do it at the next level. Yes the players might be better,, but do we really feel the players at KSU are 50 points better than the players we have. Better yet is Appalachian State a much stronger team than we are??

QUOTE(emmitt01 @ Nov 16 2005, 11:30 AM)

I know the Hallelujah chorus would begin for some of you but I just hope the old "careful what you wish for" adage doesn't start echoing around Denton.  You may not like one/both of them but at a time when recruiting and continuity are at a premium this would be a heavy pill to swallow.

Although I do not think this will happen for Dickey, I almost want it to so the DD-haters will realize that life without DD will not be all peaches and cream.

Rather than make that realization to you haters out there, I would rather keep him and laugh at all the ridiculous DD bashing.

Although I do not think this will happen for Dickey, I almost want it to so the DD-haters will realize that life without DD will not be all peaches and cream.

Rather than make that realization to you haters out there, I would rather keep him and laugh at all the ridiculous DD bashing.

You might be correct if UNT does a half-ass job selecting coaches like similar to the Helwig era, but I think if/when DD decides to step aside I think we will have a smart search for a name candidate to help with attendance and what not. I would be estatic if we could do something similar to what Ohio did in hiring Solich.

Edited by untbowler

Please defend DD or respond to what I consider the problems with DD:

1. Constantly bad mouths the fans/supporters.

2. Constantly bad mouths the facilities

3. States that "we still have the most difficult situation to overcome of anyone in the conference.....I know, I work here EVERYday" -DD

4. Runs and undisciplined program.

Please defend DD or respond to what I consider the problems with DD:

1.  Constantly bad mouths the fans/supporters.

2.  Constantly bad mouths the facilities

3.  States that "we still have the most difficult situation to overcome of anyone in the conference.....I know, I work here EVERYday" -DD

4.  Runs and undisciplined program.

While I certainly don't agree with everything DD does,

1. I've both heard and read a lot of positives DD has said about the fans. Some on this hyper sensitive to any critique. When they heard a criticism a "some" of the fans it is interpreted as a major insult to all fans.

2. Yes he does say the stadium need to be improved. You are seriously disagreeing with this are you? He has also commented on how great the new facilities are.

3. Yes he does.

4. I'm not sure it is all that much more undisciplined that many of our previous coaches. I know at least one year we lead the Big West in penalties. I vividly remember screaming in the stands back when Hayden's teams jumped off sides. Yes, we have way to many penaties and this needs to be fixed.

If DD gets this job, then all i have to say to him is i hope he goes up there and continues the success that K-State has had with Snyder.

Now i will throw out one name that i would like to see NT try and bring in here with this scenero happens.

This coach has great Texas ties, has coached at big name programs, and is currently unemployed in the coaching profession.

BOB DAVIE

3.  States that "we still have the most difficult situation to overcome of anyone in the conference.....I know, I work here EVERYday" -DD

3. Yes he does.

How does he have the hardest job in the conference, it wasn't like DD had to start the football program from scratch...

DD has a tough job, as does every coach in the 'belt. I suspect that some of the other coaches in the belt would be very envious of what DD has to work with.