FLLANIGAN TO LEAVE NT, DON'T KNOW IF NOW

OldTimer

http://www.footballscoop.com/scoop.htm

The above link is to footballscoop. Previously it had the coach at Buffalo as being firing but having lost his job. The latest scoup has flanigan, the OC at NT being named to Buffalo. I would believe as head coach but not 100 % sure , but scan down below Flanigan to the original scoup...which showed the job opportunity to be sure. I didn't want to go back another time to look at the earlier job posting.

Rumors are he didn't do much recruiting last year....certaintly didn't get anyone from Dallas ISD.

Bruce Bell the recruiting coordinator at NT is leaving after the season...don't know if he will stay through recruiting but doubt it.

That leaves two Assistant Coaching positions. so recruiting could be hurting. Depends upon who is hired to replace them and when they come on board and how familar they are with Texas and OK coaches.

I know a lot of us didn't like his play calling, but realistically he suggested a two or 3 plays and DD chose the play....so game plan won't change when he leaves.

Interesting that Sagain ratings have Buffalo at 179 and NT at 102.

Edited by OldTimer

Beleive it or not, I think Flanigan really was never given a chance as an OC here. Dickey's offensive philosophy is run, run, run, & run some more. He was only doing what he was told to do.

We all know RF was pretty damn good passing QB in college. So he has the experience to use as a coach. I have a feeling Buffalo will not be a predictable, one dimensional offense under Flanigan.

Personally, I wish RF the best of luck and hope he succeeds. I wish no ill will towards him, although I never agreed with his play-calling. Then again, I think that is more DD than RF.

Recruiting has me concerned. Bruce Bell will be sorely missed. His presence in the Houston area allowed us to sign some good recruits from that area.

I don't know who I would go after for OC. I would like someone that runs a balanced pro-style attack, but that also is willing to adapt to the talent he has. I also want someone with close ties to the HS coaching community in Texas.

Buffalo News article on coaches ouster.

UB dismisses Hofher

Coach of winless football team will leave at end of current season

By RODNEY MCKISSIC

News Sports Reporter

11/8/2005

Jim Hofher, whose University at Buffalo football team is one of four winless teams in the nation this season, was fired Monday after five consecutive losing seasons.

UB has scheduled a news conference for this morning to officially announce the firing. Hofher had a season remaining on his contract, which pays him $149,000 annually in salary and compensation.

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.ubfan.com/install/ftopict-3096.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

Buffalo AD can't afford a mistake in selecting new football coach.

Doubtless Manuel has replacements in mind, as hopefully would any AD who hails from the football factory that is the University of Michigan. Fred Jackson, the Wolverines' associate head coach and running backs coach, is a logical candidate if he aspires to his own program. So is offensive line coach Andy Moeller, son of former Michigan coach Gary Moeller. That'll be another sales job for Manuel, convincing someone of repute that UB truly plans to get serious about establishing football.

What's clear is that Manuel hasn't the luxury of a misstep. This hiring had best produce results, must move the program substantially forward, because without football UB is unwelcome in the MAC, and without results there's no justification in the financial fuel it'll burn.

ARTICLE

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051109/1051055.asp

I'm not going to comment on any of the rumors about this. I DO want to comment on the "what ifs".

Let's assume that RF IS going to Buffalo.

Now, IF RF's role as OC is what everyone says it's been, then I would be VERY concerned.

And what I would be concerned about is this. What credible coach out there would be willing to step in and take his place? Especially if he REALLY ISN'T RUNNING THE OFFENSE.

If, and it is a big IF, Flanigan leaves to be the head coach at Buffalo(it is just speculation right now) it really won't make that much of a difference as far as our offense is concerned. RF may be named the OC but we all know that DD has final say so on the plays that go into the huddle. It works much the same way that the Tuna has override privelages with Payton in Dallas. We are not going to see a balanced attack, spread, west coast, wing-T, triple option, run-and-shoot, or any other offense then the one we have been running since 1998. The offense will remain the same and the new OC will be basically a new quartebacks coach. We will probably hire a low paid college position coach who will see this move as being a promotion to a D1A coordinator and possible stepping stone to more money or a head coaching job elsewhere as RF has apparently parlayed his time in Denton into.

Edited by Eagle-96

What ..."credible coach".... out there would be willing to step in and take his place?  Especially if he REALLY ISN'T RUNNING THE OFFENSE.

I think you answered your own question. No "credible" coach would take the OC job for just the title "if" there's no actual authority along with it. I believe RF does call the plays, but DD has the option to over ride or change it, thus the constant delay of game penalties getting some plays in.

Beleive it or not, I think Flanigan really was never given a chance as an OC here. Dickey's offensive philosophy is run, run, run, & run some more. He was only doing what he was told to do.

We all know RF was pretty damn good passing QB in college. So he has the experience to use as a coach. I have a feeling Buffalo will not be a predictable, one dimensional offense under Flanigan.

I would say you are right, except that until Snyder's 2nd or 3rd year, the all time pasing leader at K State was Darrell Dickey!

Both of them Quarterbacks. Both of them threw a lot. Darrell passed K State to it's first Bowl game ever in the early 80's - the Independence Bowl. Ramon actually lead the Southwest Conference in passing one year. Yet we still go by Darrell Royal's "When you throw the ball only four things can happen and three of them are bad."

I just don't understand.

RF's name is just "in the mix". He has not been named the coach. The entry states:

Buffalo names: North Texas OC Ramon Flanigan

If you look at today's Kansas State entry it says:

Kansas State names: USF head coach Jim Leavitt, Arizona's Mike Stoops, Brent Venables and Chuck Long of OU.

These are just names being considered. I don't think RF is going anywhere.