Bad news guys,

hope24

This fall has been exceptionally dry and today the Denton County Fire Marshall decided to extend the burn ban, meaning that we cannot have bonfire this year. We had been told previously that we would simply have to reduce the size of the bonfire to 25'x25'x25' instead of 40'x40'x25' but that was before the burn ban got extended. There will still be the Yell Like Hell competition but we will not be doing Bon Light like we did a few years ago when the burn ban was in effect. As far as we (Talons) know, there are no plans this year for any "alternative" to bonfire (like bon light).

Edited by hope24

I thought I heard something about a laser light show if the bonfire did not happen?

I don't know about that. At the Talons meeting tonight the question was asked if there would be an alternative, and as of now, there will not be one. A few years ago when the burn ban was in place, the idea of a laser show was brought up along with the bon light idea, and a vote was taken (by University people, not Talons I believe) and the laser idea was shot down. My guess would be that it might be a bit difficult to get a laser show together by the time the idea is brought up, discussed, and voted upon by whomever decides these things.

I too am disappointed that THE bonfire has been cancelled. I am not surprised though, we all had an idea that THE bonfire could be endangered this year by a county wide burn ban.

Well, there are still other options. There is a home basketball game the night before the Homecoming football game. Why not have the Talons use the finances intended for THE bonfire on renting Sky-Trackers for outside the Super Pit, and get the whole Green Brigade to play at the basketball game. (Isn't there a mens-womens double header that night?)

4 Sky Tracker trailers with 1 placed at each corner of The Pit would make the campus, as well as the entire city of Denton know that something was going on.

user posted image

user posted image

Put a Budweiser/Coors/Miller $1 Beer Hospitality Zone right outside The Pit and the event will start getting talked about.

Promote the party atmosphere and the event will be a success.

I like that idea. The problem is that there's the usual Homecoming stuff the same night at the usual site. I really think the school should've rerouted that to the basketball games. Do the contests and whatnot between games and also funnel students for some great BB attendance.

Can you even imagine the kind of money and manpower it would take to tell people to not go to the bonfire spot and instead head to the Pit?

(That is sarcasm)

Can you even imagine the kind of money and manpower it would take to tell people to not go to the bonfire spot and instead head to the Pit?

(That is sarcasm)

I find using the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags work best at properly notating sarcasm in posts. tongue.gif

Floor, meet Talons face.

Seriously folks, if someone REALLY wanted to do it then an event for the basketball game could be pulled off. And, no, it wouldn't require waiting until next Wednesday to commune the Talons Mensa club. Just an industrious student or two and a few visits to the proper admin folks.

Or, we could just say the hell with it because only a "spirit" organization would go to such great lengths.

This fall has been exceptionally dry and today the Denton County Fire Marshall decided to extend the burn ban, meaning that we cannot have bonfire this year.  We had been told previously that we would simply have to reduce the size of the bonfire to 25'x25'x25' instead of 40'x40'x25' but that was before the burn ban got extended.  There will still be the Yell Like Hell competition but we will not be doing Bon Light like we did a few years ago when the burn ban was in effect.  As far as we (Talons) know, there are no plans this year for any "alternative" to bonfire (like bon light).

The bonfire isn't in the county, it's in the city, where it has always been illegal to have open fires. And in order to do so, you have to get a special permit, just as the university has done for who knows how long. If you want to do professional tar roofing or commercial welding or whatever other potentially dangerous work that requires a fire, you got to get a permit. The bonfire is just as controlled as the rest. The university pay's the city good money for professional fire protection, which is all we need for 12 hours, and really not even that long since the pallets burn down so quickly.

Oh well, one less night I have to travel and spend money for food and gas in Denton.

Rick

Well - I will not advocate breaking the law - but does anyone have some land? Surely a loophole could be found to let the tradition go on; even if it wasn't a gigantic stack of wood... but rather a smaller fire. Bonfire has been cancelled in the past from what I understand... but has always "taken place" in some form or fashion - on private property... even if only 50 or so people witnessed it. Like the aTm bonfire, this could be done privately - and then the tradition would stand - and many of the members of this board could attend. I know that the burn ban is for the county - but exceptions can probably be made as long as adequate fire support is around. I think that the University probably doesn't want the liability; but maybe someone with some land doesn't worry too much about it. Just a thought. If this is already being planned, please PM me, if I am not working then I would like to attend.

No offense-

But I'm plain bloody sick of fireworks! It really irks me that they STILL fire them off after we lose. I mean, we might as well advertise that we shoot them off for the opposing team as a welcome and a thank you for winning. GRR, I'll stab myself the game is a NT loss and they fire those (insert deity here)-forsaken fireworks.

No offense-

But I'm plain bloody sick of fireworks! It really irks me that they STILL fire them off after we lose. I mean, we might as well advertise that we shoot them off for the opposing team as a welcome and a thank you for winning. GRR, I'll stab myself the game is a NT loss and they fire those (insert deity here)-forsaken fireworks.

Yeah that really bugs me too when they shoot off fireworks after a loss. It's just strange. I guess the idea is that little kids will beg their parents to stay to the end of the game instead of fleeing at halftime?

Yeah that really bugs me too when they shoot off fireworks after a loss.  It's just strange.  I guess the idea is that little kids will beg their parents to stay to the end of the game instead of fleeing at halftime?

Isn't that just a family atmosphere thing - no one ever pegs it as a celebration.

Most of the kids who want fireworks are not moping about the outcome - they just want to see fireworks.

Yeah that really bugs me too when they shoot off fireworks after a loss.  It's just strange.  I guess the idea is that little kids will beg their parents to stay to the end of the game instead of fleeing at halftime?

Which brings up the question of, how in $#$#@$# hell do you get a permit to fire off fire works which are within I'd say 5 to 600 feet from an apartment complex as well as other shingled structures during a burn ban, yet you can't obtain one for bonfire?

I know no one is interested in this subject at this time, but I just got some information from a source that gives me reason to believe the university just decided to lay down on bonfire and not do it. There has been a county wide burn ban all season yet we have had a fireworks display every game. I find that....odd.

Rick

Which brings up the question of, how in $#$#@$# hell do you get a permit to fire off fire works which are within I'd say 5 to 600 feet from an apartment complex as well as other shingled structures during a burn ban,  yet you can't obtain one for bonfire?

I know no one is interested in this subject at this time, but I just got some information from a source that gives me reason to believe the university just decided to lay down on bonfire and not do it.  There has been a county wide burn ban all season yet we have had a fireworks display every game.  I find that....odd.

Rick

Kinda reminds me of something else this fall. dry.gif