How is this season not a failure?

shaft

we are young and can look forward to next year  rolleyes.gif  blink.gif

The only way we can salvage something from this year is if we empty the benches in the next three games and figure out who can play and who can't. It will be a total waste if we go into Spring drills not having a clue about who can compete at the corners, fullback, backup running back, tight end, linebackers and most importantly, both lines.

I kept wondering were all this young team stuff comes from. Check the lineups of other Belt teams and see who has the young team. NT is starting on offense, 2 seniors, 7jrs, and two rs freshmen. The defense is 4seniors, 4 juniors, and 3 sophs. Yes, most of the team that at best will be 5-6 will be back, but I fail to see a great team being developed.

The team that just beat NT starts on offense; 4 srs, 2jrs, 2 sos, and 3 fm. On defense; 4 srs, 5jrs, 1 so, and 1 fm. The team we play this week starts on offense; 2 srs, 4 jrs, 3 sos, and 2 fm. On defense; 3 srs, 0 jrs, 3 sos, and 5 fm.

Edited by GrandGreen

all I have been hearing is that we have a ton of studs waiting in the wings.

Hopefully Raymond gets his grades together, I assume Isaac Thomas will be given a medical red-shirt or has he played this year??

Ajani Banks, Gilmore is coming around, Washington.

Also what do we do with Byerly??? I say put him at FB or TE also 3rd string QB.

I kept wondering were all this young team stuff comes from.  Check the lineups of other Belt teams and see who has the young team.  NT is starting on offense, 2 seniors, 7jrs, and two rs freshmen.  The defense is 4seniors, 4 juniors, and 3 sophs.  Yes most of the team that at best will be 5-6 will be back, but I fail to see a great team being developed.

Well, we have a bunch of freshmen being redshirted this year. Reportedly most of them have some athletic ability. Now whether that will translate into them being good football players is another question. I guess we'll see who makes noise out of that large (12...counting invited walk-ons...I've been told) group in the Spring.

This season is a failure. Some will see it differently but in my opinion, it is simply a failure. Now we can make all the excuses that we want but the facts are the facts. The question is where do we go from here? RF should be gone. I don't care if he does karate in the stands, he sucks as an offensive coordinator and should be fired for that alone. DD needs to be shown the door also. He probally will be here for another year and we will see the same lack luster effort next year too. Most of you will probally say that we need to give him another year after that too because hey you never know, maybe he could win District 13-3A or the Sun Belt (which one is harder, I don't know)...Thing is though, RV doesn't have the leverage to fire any of them. I think that after this season it will be either DD or RV. One of them will be gone. As a fan, I think that you have to decide who you believe can take us to the next level and then let your voice be heard to the BOR, President and Chancellor. These two guys won't stay together much longer. I'm with RV

Next year will be tough. All of these redshirt freshman that everyone is talking about still will not have game experience (see FAU this year). At best, all you can hope for is a 2001 like season....but I don't see it without major improvements on both lines.

The thing I will not be able to live with is looking forward to the 2006 Fouts game against SMU. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach. I am just thankful that we don't play them this year.....we'd get drubbed....and that's more than I can take.

This season IS NOT a failure.

1. If you look at our current record.......yes, I guess with only2 wins because of our high expectations all throughout the summer with everyone predicting loosing 1 or 2 games.

2. If you look at the development of our players........no it is not a failure.

3. If you look at the newer types of plays we have been running....no not a failure.

4. I think this year has been a wake up call to our coaching staff but I would not dare say they failed us. The coaching staff can not make our players jump off sides or commit other penalties on crucial downs.

5. This is not the time to be critical on DD because FB season is not over. I am anxious to see what the Mean Green will do for the remainder of the year. If they lay down and die for the last 3 games then that is coaching.....if they go out and give it 100% and grow that is coaching too.

6. Sorry that FFR got singled out with his son there......but now.....FFR will always be a UNT sports icon being associated with Tortilla-Gate.....lol.

7. Sorry that RF "lost it" with a fan, again. UNT does not need that type of behavior from anyone, especially a coach. I have heard some complimentary comments about him before and always held him in high esteem. The guy must be under incredible pressure to "snap" like that. We have all lost our cool at one time or another......believe me......I am not defending him......I have lost my cool too which has gotten me into trouble with my boss, my wife, my friends etc..

----perhaps this is the time, now, to go on and bury the hatchet and shake hands with RF and at least say we have appreciated what he has done up to this point.

This season IS NOT a failure.

1.  If you look at our current record.......yes, I guess with only2 wins  because of our high expectations all throughout the summer with everyone predicting loosing 1 or 2 games.

I figured we'd lose one or two Sun Belt games, nothing unexpected there, but we haven't been competitive against any of our OOC opponents. LaTech and Tulsa should have both been winnable games.

2.  If you look at the development of our players........no it is not a failure.

3.  If you look at the newer types of plays we have been running....no not a failure.

We haven't run that many new plays.

4.  I think this year has been a wake up call to our coaching staff but I would not dare say they failed us.  The coaching staff can not make our players jump off sides or commit other penalties on crucial downs.

Someone needs to either get a better secretary or an answering machine that doesn't delete messages. We've never played a style of game that allows us to come from behind when we're down by more the more then 2 TDs. As people have stated, we've always been able to "out-score our mistakes" but haven't been able to do so this time around. We must instill some discipline into the team and stop the silly, drive stopping (or extending, depending on which side of the ball we're on) penalties.

5.  This is not the time to be critical on DD because FB season is not over.  I am anxious to see what the Mean Green will do for the remainder of the year.  If they lay down and die for the last 3 games then that is coaching.....if they go out and give it 100% and grow that is coaching too.

6.  Sorry that FFR got singled out with his son there......but now.....FFR will always be a UNT sports icon being associated with Tortilla-Gate.....lol.

FFR will always be known for more then what happened this past Saturday. It will make for some funny chit-chat at future tailgates I suspect.

7.  Sorry that RF "lost it" with a fan, again.  UNT does not need that type of behavior from anyone, especially a coach.  I have heard some complimentary comments about him before and always held him in high esteem.  The guy must be under incredible pressure to "snap" like that.  We have all lost our cool at one time or another......believe me......I am not defending him......I have lost my cool too which has gotten me into trouble with my boss, my wife, my friends etc..

----perhaps this is the time, now, to go on and bury the hatchet and shake hands with RF and at least say we have appreciated what he has done up to this point.

I work in customer service and have to deal with exceptionally rude people at times. If I charged a customer and threatened physical harm, I would surely lose my job that day or the next, regardless of the circumstances, because who's to say I might not lose my cool like that again? Plus, what company wants to have a lose cannon that leaves an opening for a lawsuit/PR nightmare?

Edited by UNTFan23

UNTFan23--

I appreciate your "subjective comments."

Evidently we disagree on the raw numbers......how many new plays etc.....etc....

I for one do not want to see this RF thing get way out of hand......

Granted RF has no business doing what he did no matter what was directly stated to him......I hope that our posted alum is not going to file suit on RF and I hope each find time to get together and shake hands and put this behind them just as I would expect everyone else would do. Why make attorneys rich for self gratification. If we are ALL in this together then let us all act as a team and allow our fellow Mean Green Brothers to make occasional mistakes. We can show everyone on this board who reads these comments that we, as a group can band together and FORGIVE and FORGET pettiness.

Like I said RF must be under incredible pressure to snap like that. Time to say I forgive ya and lets move on..........

We are in this together, but what RF did was beyond, "lets get together and shake" kind of thing. It needs to be dealt with. We don't have to know every detail, but he is a public employee. Our tax dollars etc go to pay his salary. He is under much pressure, but that is not an excuse. If someone had that on tape and it was being shown he would be gone today. He best leverage right now is the he said/she said angle. Many people have tempers, but he lost control of himself. Most people who saw that knows that he snapped and did something inappropriate. We are all responsible for our actions. Even if we are extremely sorry for them afterwards.

Why are people dodging the issue.

This year's team has failed at every prs-season objective!

Crowd antics, staff-fan interaction, and stadium security are the not the issues.

We have a win over an off-shore team and the Muts. Plese show me the light at the end of the tunnel?

Besides the fact we'll hire A&M's coach Fran the day after the dump him.