DDickey is not a good coach

tonyhuntoon

1. Can't beat OOC opponents.

2. If he was good, another opportunity would have already pulled him away.

3. Has two, TWO rushing champs but can't seem to get them on the field at the same time. In fact, the rushing situation has gotten worse as the season has progressed.

4. ULL, 1st down and goal. They are obviously going to get to run all 4 downs, well over 2 minutes left. You are left with 2 timeouts. WHY NOT USE THEM THERE? They score and you have PLENTY of time left to put together a drive!!!!! If they don't score it doesn't matter either way. You run out the clock. THE FREAKING IDIOT just lets ULL sit there and run out the clock while they score the go ahead touchdown. Personally I didn't get it!!!!!!!! mad.gif

As an afterthought, what's Corky Nelson doing these days. I know when we were getting beat back in those days he would be on the sideline blowing a fuse. DD looks like he is day dreaming on the sideline. What's up with this guy?

4. ULL, 1st down and goal. They are obviously going to get to run all 4 downs, well over 2 minutes left. You are left with 2 timeouts. WHY NOT USE THEM THERE? They score and you have PLENTY of time left to put together a drive!!!!! If they don't score it doesn't matter either way. You run out the clock. THE FREAKING IDIOT just lets ULL sit there and run out the clock while they score the go ahead touchdown. Personally I didn't get it!!!!!!!!  mad.gif 

I wondered the exact same thing. Once it was 1st and goal it came down to 4 downs (excluding any penaties of course). Half joking I said outloud to no one in particular, "you use your timeouts here, don't you?" Everyone around me seemed to agree. I guess we were saving ours for getting the play in from the sidelines mad.gif .

Keith

Another thing I haven't seen brought up yet, but why did we run the ball 3 times near the end of the 1st half when we only had about 1:20 on the clock starting the drive from around our 30. This drive resulted in the missed field goal from about 42, but in my opinion it was pretty poor time management.

Or how about an onside kick that followed a UNT score that narrowed the gap to 14-7. All momentum in the half escaped and ULaLa scored again = 21-7.

Our team is undisciplined. The clock management was terrible. And while a lot of the play calling was terrible, I can't say the onside kick was. If it works, the coach made a great move and it is only a bad call if it doesn't. Can't complain about "trying not to lose" and then complain about taking risks.

Especially when there was so, so many other things to complain about!

Our team is undisciplined. The clock management was terrible. And while a lot of the play calling was terrible, I can't say the onside kick was. If it works, the coach made a great move and it is only a bad call if it doesn't. Can't complain about "trying not to lose" and then complain about taking risks.

Especially when there was so, so many other things to complain about!

Agreed. We needed the momentum...the TD to make it 14-7 helped, but we didn't stop ULL all night long......did anyone else not notice the that ULL almost doubled us up on time of possession?? ...that and we doubled up Babb's 2005 season rushing stats! It is sad, but we have become "stat day" for most teams these days....

Another thing I haven't seen brought up yet, but why did we run the ball 3 times near the end of the 1st half when we only had about 1:20 on the clock starting the drive from around our 30. This drive resulted in the missed field goal from about 42, but in my opinion it was pretty poor time management.

Yeah this bothered me as well, but its nothing new with Dickey & Co.

Tonyhuntoon--

1. What I understand is that Cobbs and Thomas have been bothered by hamstrings etc during the season. I wonder if this is why they are both not in the game at the same time. Naturally, everyone's expectations was to have both in the same backfield with all of last year's OL. That would have been great. Appears DD has been hampered with two partially injured RBs, a Redshirt Frosh as QB, not a good OL and a porous DL.

2. I am in agreement with the majority of the posters of the OC's play calling/game plan. IMHO after a couple of games you would think that creative offensive adjustments(i.e. play calling/new plays) would HAVE to be made for the lack of defense.

3. Personally, I am chalking this year as a growing year for the team. Meager is getting better!!

4. Personally, I would like to see RF begin to develop with another college team after this season with UNT. This is not the first time that he has lost his temper with the fans. Did not he do something similar during the Tulsa game??

5. Most of the OOC games were against Major BCS teams (Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, Oklahoma, K-State etc). However, we had the personnel to win most of the Mid-Major games.

6. I thought the onside kick was pretty cool. If it worked DD would have been a hero but it did not work. You do have to give DD credit for trying it early in the game.

7. I think next year we will see more of a balance offence than what we have ever seen under the DD era. DD is letting Meager pass more. We do have the wide receivers to compliment this.

8. Let us not pull the plug on DD. What we need are plays that compliment the players we have and not what we do not have.

Isn't it his responsibility to recruit? This is the team he recruited! ohmy.gif

Besides, at some point over the last EIGHT years he needed to start beating some OOC opponents. I know we don't have a chance against the LSUs of the world, but how about some of these other losses, like Tulsa, UAB, Memphis, etc. ?

Edited by tonyhuntoon

If it works, the coach made a great move and it is only a bad call if it doesn't.

That's the problem. How often does an onsides kick work? 10% of the time? So, instead of giving the defense an entire field to work with, you give them 45 yards to go? Taking chances is one thing, but giving up 30-40 yards to an offense that already has your number, is as safe as betting on snake-eyes.

GangGreen---

You just mentioned the Catch-22 of DD.

The majority of posters wanted to see innovation in play calling from the "almost" ever predictable DD and his staff. When the innovative plays happen and do not work then you blame DD. If they work then ..... wow.....

Posters, all year, have been screaming for innovative plays. How about that on-side kick. DD did the onside kick against MTSU and it worked. It did not work against La-La. (50%).

The Shotgun is becoming more popular & I for one am glad to see it incorporated in our scheme of plays. Too bad it has taken this long to see this good change. With our line still being stacked this should give us plenty of 1-1 coverage.

I have not counted DD out. IMHO he is trying to become more innovative and trying to get away from the 3 yards and a cloud of dust plays.

That's the problem. How often does an onsides kick work? 10% of the time? So, instead of giving the defense an entire field to work with, you give them 45 yards to go? Taking chances is one thing, but giving up 30-40 yards to an offense that already has your number, is as safe as betting on snake-eyes.

Actually, surprise onside kicks work a LOT more often. It's the ones at the end of a game that everyone knows are coming that work less than 10% of the time.

I agree with both tony and euless. I used to absolutely love dickey, but this last year ive been wondering whats goin on in his head, play calling, the j-mo cobbs in the same backfield issue, and just plain on some calls.

-j-mo and cobbs are not at 100% health, BUT theyre both playing so why the hell not in the same backfield.

-RAMON FLANAGAN SHOULD BE GONE! this is unexcusable! and not the first time. Made us look like a circus show. im sure it had everybody laughing.

-also about the 2 minutes to go fiasco. yall said it best.

-i think its a bit political, like high school football. why not try some younger guys going into the spring??? kellen haynes threw for 4000 yards and 40 tds at a 4A high school in his senior season! hell give SOMEBODY a chance so you know what youve got to work on in the spring.

my 2 cents

thanks

The onside kick was a good call and almost worked, I liked it.

We got good things on the way, Dickey has done okay his few years here, if in the next two years he cant make this great, then he can be let go, one bad season, and everyone jumps on the fire-dickey bandwagon, I think it's a bit ridiculous.

I know you burst onto the scene in 04, but most people on the fire-dickey bandwagon have been riding it for quite some time - several years in many cases.

Amazing how every crappy outcome keeps getting spun into a wait until next year - I've been waiting for the big leap "next year" since 2003.

"Wait til we get OOC opponents on our level - like La Tech and Tulsa."

- I waited.

"Wait til we get a crack at SMU..."

-Hopefully the soccer team will go ahead and take care of them because I have no faith in the fighting Dickeys to pull it off - would be so nice if they did though.