Katrina

Baby Arm!

Just thinking about the people going into the Super Dome. What kind of emergency power does that facility have and will it work through the onslaught? The whole area is going to loose power. Can you imagine how dark and hot it will be in there if/when power goes?

If you were going to ride it out in the Super Dome, where would you want to be...upper level, lower level, on the field? Man that cannot be a fun place to be. They may be there for days.

Keith

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking about the people going into the Super Dome.  What kind of emergency power does that facility have and will it work through the onslaught?  The whole area is going to loose power.  Can you imagine how dark and hot it will be in there if/when power goes?

If you were going to ride it out in the Super Dome, where would you want to be...upper level, lower level, on the field?  Man that cannot be a fun place to be.  They may be there for days.

Keith

If the city loses power the dome will too. The mayor or n.o. came on and said if you have a way of leaving you better do it becuase the superdome is gonna be crowded and HOT.

And when they open it up like this you can only stay on the ground levels and not go up into the seats.

LAST I heard there was 30,000 people seeking refuge.

It's so hard to imagine. I've been watching news coverage that showed the refugees walking up the ramp outside the Super Dome, and I keep thinking "I was there", "on that very ramp". Those people are the same folks we saw when we were down there. Been thinking about them all day. Hope everyone makes it out OK. God be with them.

Ditto Campbell - also this thing hits so close to home with all the time we've spent in New Orleans the past 4 years. Prayers out to all in New Orleans and all of the area that are in the wake of this terrible storm.

35 feet above sea level and the surronding area is the same. It was built that way to act as an ark for people to go with a flood. Evrything else will be underwater except for that area.

I think that I remember hearing that the dome is some 22 ft above sea level.

I just heard them say it is predicted by the corp of engineers that it could take up to six months pump out the city if it completely floods, then the rebuilding.

The Super-dome, the guy from FEMA announced it has some kind of emergency power. And it is a tall building, even if the field floods there is still plenty of room higher up to.

i am sure this has ben posted, but this is from the national weather service

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS. ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!

A couple of years ago we had a freak wind storm come through our town with 92 to 100 mile an hour straight winds. We had to yell at each other to be heard over the noise of the wind. You could hear trees cracking and falling and it was something I will never forget. After the storm, our neighborhood looked like a war zone. Already knowing what damage these kinds of winds can cause, I am greatly concerned for all in the path of Katrina.

The Air National Guard is being activated here in Oklahoma and several organizations here are already on their way to Louisania with food, water, etc. I'm sure all the neighboring states are preparing to help out as well.

Should the game not be cancelled, may I suggest that those who still plan on attending, pack a few extra survival items such as non-perishable foods, water, toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, etc. to leave with the victims of the hurricane.

A couple of years ago we had a freak wind storm come through our town with 92 to 100 mile an hour straight winds.  We had to yell at each other to be heard over the noise of the wind.  You could hear trees cracking and falling and it was something I will never forget.  After the storm, our neighborhood looked like a war zone.  Already knowing what damage these kinds of winds can cause, I am greatly concerned for all in the path of Katrina. 

The Air National Guard is being activated here in Oklahoma and several organizations here are already on their way to Louisania with food, water, etc.  I'm sure all the neighboring states are preparing to help out as well. 

Should the game not be cancelled, may I suggest that those who still plan on attending, pack a few extra survival items such as non-perishable foods, water, toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, etc. to leave with the victims of the hurricane.

Very good idea in the the last paragraph of your post, posiesivy.

I know many of us will give to some of the groups that help in these relief efforts such as Savation Army, Goodwill (for clothing assistance), Texas Baptist Men (you cannot believe what this group does and has even received CNN mention---BTW, one of our GoMeanGreen.com's posters has been part of that group's relief efforts and since I haven't seen him post, he may be in Louisiana now), Catholic Charities (designated gifts, most mainline church denominations relief groups, designated Katrina assistance 1-800 numbers we'll see on TV, etc, etc, etc,.

As of 7:08 AM Katrina may be taking a northeastern turn which may possibly be a Divine turn for New Orleans. Still too early to tell on that, though, according to CNN. Hang in there, Louisiana, we're all praying for ya'.

It is 0723 and after pulling staff duty all day yesrterday and all last night. I was able to watch the storm coverage all night.

And while New Orleans will not take the hit that originally thought we are not out of the woods yet. The eye should be making its way past N.O sometime between 8 and 9 this morning.

At that time the winds will be blowing from the north on Lake Ponch. and this is where they are worried about the levees breaking down and flooding the city.

BR seems to be just fine having only gotten alittle wind and some rain.

I'm gonna try to sleep for about an hour and get up and let y'all know more as to what is going on.

One of my co-workers was wondering why anyone would take refuge in

the Superdome. The people who are there are mostly the poorest

who have nowhere else to go and no way to get there. There are a lot

of small children and people who had to use walkers and canes and wheelchairs

to get there. I know they must be so frightened and they are in my prayers

right now.

It's 9AM and CNN is reporting that the SuperDome is leaking and starting to take on some water due to that hole in the top the wind ripped off.

From the way CNN is reporting, doesn't sound like Baton Rouge is going to be that safe a place either. The fear is not from the winds, but from the storm surge. Forecasters are predicting up to a 25-foot storm surge that will move up the Mississippi (aided by waves from Ponchartrain) and hit Baton Rouge with a whole wall of water.

My thoughts and prayers are with those battling Katrina....

Levee has broken in the french quarter.

The pumps have shutdown.

The water is already up to the curbs on the streets of the French Quarter.

The Superdome is leaking but only because the outer shel has peeled off the structure is still fine.

A buliding has colapssed with people in it somewhere in the Garden District.

And the thing is it want as bad as it could have been.

Power is out in B.R. and from my brother, they have gotten alot of strong gust and some rain.

People, if you pray - start praying now... to whoever/whatever GOD that your pray to. The breaking of the levee is a very bad thing. Let me put it this way, before the levee system erected in the 70's, the river would flood and it would overflow into the streets a LITTLE but mostly into the wetlands, presding the silt and minerals that those areas badly needed for nourishment to plant and animal life. That was when New Orleans was located at Sea Level for the most part. Then they built the levee system and tried to "tame" the river. It had great short term effects. It lowered the city for expansion, it stopped the river from flooding the city after a bad rain, and the tree huggers just had to deal with the lack of silt distributed. But what has happened is over the years - the levees keep getting built up more and more every year. They have been reinforcing them for the most part; but they always add to them as well. Now, the worst case scenario has happened - the levee has broken in several places sending the only drainage pass through the city. The very levees that have protected them from the water all of these year will now keep the water inside of it. If this was just fresh water it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is nasty stuff. God bless the souls of those in New Orleans. Bless Adler's family that decided to fight it out in their house. God bless the people in the Superdome that wait in uncertainty. This whole thing has me scared and choked up. I feel like I am in a movie because it is so surreal; yet this is as real as can be.

Guest JohnDenver

Come on everyone. Don't panic. This isn't doom and gloom. It is BAD, yes, but this is not one of the four horns sounding.

I watched Fox News lastnight and couldnt' believe their coverage.

They showed the deadliest hurricanes sinec 1900. Said New Orleans may not be livable for 6 months because it will be under water. Gave a story about how if the death rate is bad enough there will not be enough body bags for everyone.

Then I turned to MSNBC and it wasn't much better.

It is bad, yes, but I can't recall as much overstating. Wait till the facts come in ... I haven't read anything abou the levy system breaking. My coworker said that the roof was torn off the Superdome and they were forced to move everyone into the inner workings of the convention area because of flooding. He was under the impression that the arc was flooding ... then I read an article sayind metal strips were torn off the roof that created a six foot hole in the ceiling. They had to move people out of 5 rows because of the drips.

This isn't time for hysteria. That is all I am saying...

Come on everyone. Don't panic. This isn't doom and gloom. It is BAD, yes, but this is not one of the four horns sounding.

I watched Fox News lastnight and couldnt' believe their coverage.

They showed the deadliest hurricanes sinec 1900. Said New Orleans may not be livable for 6 months because it will be under water. Gave a story about how if the death rate is bad enough there will not be enough body bags for everyone.

Then I turned to MSNBC and it wasn't much better.

It is bad, yes, but I can't recall as much overstating. Wait till the facts come in ... I haven't read anything abou the levy system breaking. My coworker said that the roof was torn off the Superdome and they were forced to move everyone into the inner workings of the convention area because of flooding. He was under the impression that the arc was flooding ... then I read an article sayind metal strips were torn off the roof that created a six foot hole in the ceiling. They had to move people out of 5 rows because of the drips.

This isn't time for hysteria. That is all I am saying...

The levee has broken in the French Quarter. And while it isnt all doom and gloom this is the WORSE disaster to hit New Orleans in modern times.

From wwltv.com(New Orleans CBS affiliate):

http://www.wwltv.com/

Apartment building on Wright Avenue in Terrytown has collapsed with people inside, according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee. Rescue crews have not been able to get to the scene as of 9:30 a.m.

Karen Swensen says there is 3 feet of water downtown near the Hyatt. She reports several office windows coming out whole from buildings.

Two holes ripped in Superdome roof, visible from facility floor, according to Associated Press reports.

.. A LEVEE BREACH OCCURRED ALONG THE INDUSTRIAL CANAL AT TENNESSE STREET. 3 TO 8 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED DUE TO THE BREACH...LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO ARABI AND 9TH WARD OF NEW ORLEANS.

St. Bernard Parish spokesman Larry Ingargiola says the parish's two shelters at Chalmette High and St. Bernard High are suffering major damage. He said Chalmette High shelter is losing its roof, and St. Bernard High has plenty of broken windows and glass. He estimates 300-plus refugees at the two sites.

Entergy says 317,000 customers were without power as of 6 a.m. Cleco reported 40,000 without power in St. Tammany Parish.

St. Bernard Parish officials say most of the parish has no power.

heard on KRLD that the levee at Lake Ponchitrain has also been breached but no other details. This is not as bad as the new stations were making it but it is very bad and NO could be down for weeks or months, unless they magically get those pumps working overtime. I would now be worried for everyone along the MS coast and Mobile area of AL since the eye will basically be moving over them in the next few hours.