Katrina

Baby Arm!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/29/hurr...rina/index.html

Katrina's floodwaters inundating Gulf Coast

Mississippi coast like 'hell on earth;' New Orleans pumps fail

Monday, August 29, 2005; Posted: 11:14 a.m. EDT (15:14 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Parts of New Orleans are flooded with up to six feet of water Monday after some of the pumps that protect the low-lying city failed under the onslaught from Hurricane Katrina, Mayor Ray Nagin said.

Nagin said the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans, on the east side of the city, was under five to six feet of rising water after three pumps failed.

WGNO, reporter Susan Roesgen, who is with the mayor at the Hyatt hotel, said New Orleans police had received more than 100 calls about people in the area trapped on their roofs.

. . .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnDenver

Again, the news is hell bent on being alarmist... GET THOSE RATINGS UP!

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmP...&props=livenoad

I am watching this live. The Sheriff just said "We have heard reports of the levee breaking, but we have no confirmation of that. We don't think it has happened."

From wwltv.com(New Orleans CBS affiliate):

http://www.wwltv.com/

Apartment building on Wright Avenue in Terrytown has collapsed with people inside, according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee. Rescue crews have not been able to get to the scene as of 9:30 a.m.

Karen Swensen says there is 3 feet of water downtown near the Hyatt. She reports several office windows coming out whole from buildings.

Two holes ripped in Superdome roof, visible from facility floor, according to Associated Press reports.

.. A LEVEE BREACH OCCURRED ALONG THE INDUSTRIAL CANAL AT TENNESSE STREET. 3 TO 8 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED DUE TO THE BREACH...LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO ARABI AND 9TH WARD OF NEW ORLEANS.

St. Bernard Parish spokesman Larry Ingargiola says the parish's two shelters at Chalmette High and St. Bernard High are suffering major damage. He said Chalmette High shelter is losing its roof, and St. Bernard High has plenty of broken windows and glass. He estimates 300-plus refugees at the two sites.

Entergy says 317,000 customers were without power as of 6 a.m. Cleco reported 40,000 without power in St. Tammany Parish.

St. Bernard Parish officials say most of the parish has no power.

Guest JohnDenver

I am not saying that isn't bad (BTW). I am saying the the media is deplorable at doing its job. I would rather not speculate and say stuff like "hopefully there will be survivors.." I would rather hear, "Let' hope that people remained safe and casualties are few and fare between.."

There is a difference. It does make a difference.

Guest JohnDenver

That link for the live news cast is being filmed from the LSU campus. They said the hit was substainial ... QUOTE, "Driving over here this morning across campus, there was a blanket of leaves on the ground. Stay inside at all costs."

I am not kidding.

Sounds like there will be a game this weekend. They had a guy standing outside the stadium filming live ... His baseball cap was staying on without holding it. They said they are on the edge of the storm -- thankfully.

user posted image

Katrina batters roof of Superdome

Monday, August 29, 2005; Posted: 12:34 p.m. EDT (16:34 GMT)

Thousands of people try to find a place to rest at the Louisiana Superdome on Sunday night.

Katrina bears down on Mississippi

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- The Louisiana Superdome, where about 10,000 people have taken refuge from Hurricane Katrina, reportedly began leaking Monday as winds damaged the roof, letting daylight and rainwater in the darkened arena.

"I can see daylight straight up from inside the Superdome," said Ed Reams of WDSU-TV in New Orleans, reporting from inside the Superdome.

"This is only going to get bigger," Reams said. "We have another two hours before the worst of the storm gets to us." (Watch Ed Reams' report from the Superdome)

But Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco insisted the structure "is not in any dangerous situation," according to The Associated Press.

Katrina made landfall Monday between Grand Isle, south of New Orleans, and the mouth of the Mississippi River with 140-mph winds at about 7 a.m. ET. The worst of the storm hit the Crescent City less than three hours later.

Inside the home of the New Orleans Saints, the National Guard moved people to the other side of the dome, while others were relocated beneath concrete-reinforced seats on the terrace level.

Reams reported people were not panicked. "I would describe it as concern for their neighbors," he said. "They've been here all night. This is where they've got to be whether the roof comes off or not."

He said the problem started with a leak and grew larger until sounds of the roof banging could be heard.

Authorities cannot fix the problem in the middle of the storm, said Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana, but the command center is on stand-by with resources.

"It's going to be very terrifying for a lot of people, but the command center is fully aware of what is going on," Landrieu said.

I just spoke with Asst AD Brian Bethea who is from Chalmette which is just east of N.O. The eye went directly over it. He said the good news for his family is that his parents were in New York and are currently trying to get back. The bad news is that they didn't get a chance to prepare their home, so Brian may have to head back and meet them there to help pick up the pieces. He said he had heard there is a lot of water standing and they are expecting the worse. Asst AD Paul Batchelder has family in Mississippi so I'm hoping for the best for them as well.

We are all keeping both families in our prayers.

Rick

This one is for you, John Denver...

Katrina Belts New Orleans: Journalists Hardest Hit

by Scott Ott

(2005-08-29) -- As one of history's most powerful hurricanes made landfall in Louisiana and Mississippi this morning, the thoughts and prayers of a nation were directed toward the safety of hundreds of TV reporters trapped in three-star hotels in the path of deadly Katrina.

While federal agencies warned that the Category 4 storm, packing 140 m.p.h. winds, could leave one million people homeless and cause billions of dollars in property damage, those hardest hit so far have been TV news reporters stranded without room service or air conditioning for hours on end as they shout over the wind to keep citizens up to date on the latest flying debris.

Access to cosmetics and hair-stabilizers has been severely restricted in Katrina's path, and the major news networks have appealed to the American public to contribute truckloads of these essential commodities for the media victims of this natural disaster.

"It's hard to a see a silver lining behind these grey clouds," said one CNN executive. "But if injury and loss of life are the price of sensational ratings, then the sacrifice of these TV reporters will not have been in vain."

Edited by Baby Arm!

Just to let some of you know who are following this thread... downtown isn't flooded at all and there is no mention of any levee breaches. 9th ward is bad right now and I hear the westbank is bad. Might take a month to get power back.

My uncle works for the power company and last we heard from him, he said it was bad as far as power for people is concerned. Mississippi and Alabama took more abuse than New Orleans.

Put an attachment for those who know the mid-city/city park area that doesn't look too good.

from TP.

[attachmentid=170]

Mayor of NO just had a news conference. 20 buildings have collapsed, one an apartment bldg. Bodies floating in various areas. 200 people on roofs awaiting rescue; 20 NO police officers. Cannot get to them. 50" water main has burst, location unknown. Boil order in effect. 1 block breech in levy. Must rescue in boats. Cannot start rescues for another hour. One hospital in trouble. From WWLTV. They are back on line with an audio feed thru CBS.

Mayor told people of NO who left that they cannot come back for at least 2 days or more.

9th Ward, Jackson Barracks major flooding. Hyatt Hotel all windows blown out on one side. Was where the mayor and other officials are staying.

Jefferson parish under boil order. Lost all water pressure there.

700,000 in NO without power; worst outage ever.

NO east worst hit where floating bodies spotted.

20 NO police officers were at their homes waiting to relive those on duty already

Just wanted to update those LSU guys and others about what I have last heard.

The boot on LA and the coast of MS(around Gulport) are where we'll see the worst Katrina had. The Weather Channel(not prone to hysterics) reported a storm surge well over 20 feet in Gulfport. Tommorrow when they can get choppers up we'll get a look.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html

New Orleans levee breaks

Water poured into New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain after a two-block-long breach opened overnight in a section of a levee that protects the low-lying city.

Nagin had said that about 80 percent of the city was flooded and that some areas were under 20 feet of water.

"My heart is heavy tonight," Nagin said in the interview on CNN affiliate WWL-TV. "I don't have any good news to share."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katr...eans/index.html

New Orleans mayor: 'Significant' number of deaths

'It's almost like a nightmare, that I hope we wake up from'

Tuesday, August 30, 2005; Posted: 9:24 a.m. EDT (13:24 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin warned of a "significant" death toll as the exact scope of Hurricane Katrina's wrath remained unknown in the Crescent City.

"The city of New Orleans is in a state of devastation," Nagin told WWL TV on Monday night. "We probably have 80 percent of our city underwater, with some sections of our city, the water is as deep as 20 feet." (Watch emotional account of devastation)

Katrina came ashore early Monday as a Category 4 hurricane, strafing New Orleans with 120 mph winds. (Full story)

New Orleans, a city of nearly half a million with a metropolitan area population of 1.3 million, was under a mandatory evacuation order over the weekend. However, many people defied that order and remained in homes and shelters. Thousands were shielded from the storm in the city's Louisiana Superdome. (Full story)

The city's French Quarter weathered the storm in its unique style. (Full story)

"My heart is heavy tonight," Nagin said. "I don't have any good news to share."

"We're going to have a significant amount of loss of life in the city," he said, citing reports coming in from fire, police and National Guard sources.

Louisiana officials have released no death toll, but Nagin predicted eastern New Orleans and the city's 9th Ward would be the hardest hit, noting the National Guard would be setting up temporary morgues.

Nagin said bodies have been seen floating in flood waters.

"It's not a pretty picture."

Nagin said both both New Orleans airports are underwater and there would be no electricity in the city for four to six weeks. Natural gas leaks have been reported throughout town, he said.

"Now is not the time to return to the city," Nagin said to those who had evacuated ahead of Katrina, saying they would have to wait weeks, if not months.

"It's almost like a nightmare, that I hope we wake up from," Nagin said.

Nagin confirmed reports that a two-block-long part of a levee has given way to Lake Pontchartrain at the city's 17th Street Canal -- near the city's center. (See video on how the levee broke)

"There's a serious leak and it's causing the water to continue to rise," he said.

The New Orleans Fire Department said the break was about 200-feet long.

Bryan Vernon, who lives in the neighborhood, told The Associated Press he had been on his roof for three hours calling for someone to help him and his fiancee from the rising water. (Watch dramatic rooftop rescue)

"I've never encountered anything like it in my life," Vernon told AP. "It just kept rising and rising and rising."

Along a street that had turned into a river filled with garbage cans and refuse, a woman leaned from the second-story window of a brick home and begged to be rescued, AP reported.

"There are three kids in here," the woman told AP. "Can you help us?"

In New Orleans' central business district, Karen Troyer Caraway, vice president of Tulane University Hospital, said water at the facility was initially rising at the rate of a foot an hour and had already reached the top of the first floor.

"It's dumping all the lake water in Orleans Parish," Caraway said. "It's essentially running down Canal Street. We have whitecaps on Canal Street."

"We now are completely surrounded by 6 feet of water, and are about to get on the phone with FEMA to start talking about evacuation plans," Caraway said. "The water is rising so fast, I can't even begin to describe how fast it is rising."

Caraway said she didn't know whether any pumps had been turned on to pump the water, but said, "they're not going to be able to compete with Lake Pontchartrain."

Tulane hospital has moved its emergency room to the second floor, Caraway said. It has been on emergency generator power for the last 24 hours, but if water continued rising rapidly, that power will be lost, swamping the power source.

Other hurricane damage Nagin reported included flooding in the city north of Interstate 10, the destruction by fire of the Southern Yacht Club and a leaking oil tanker that has run aground.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katr...eans/index.html

"It's dumping all the lake water in Orleans Parish," Caraway said. "It's essentially running down Canal Street. We have whitecaps on Canal Street."

ohmy.gifsad.gif Our thoughts and prayers are with the emergency teams attempting to rescue those still stranded. I hope NO can rebuild and this time, do a little more to save the city in the even of a hurricane.

My heart breaks for New Orleans as it is where my girlfriend(now my Aggie wife) took our first vacation together for the 2003 New Orleans Bowl. We have alot of fond memories of Nawlins and I am saddened to see the city in the state it is in. I fear that the death toll will be high and we may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg now. sad.gif

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

Break in 17th Street Canal Levee is now 200 feet wide and slowly flooding the City of New Orleans. Huge sand bags are being airlifted to try to stem the rush of water in that area. The expectations are that the water will not stop until it reaches lake level.

LSU becoming a major staging area for injured and evacuees. Campus allowing families of students to house with them. Making facilities available as "community responsibility" according to Chancellor Sean O'Keefe.