All-Time QB's at North Texas

UNTLifer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what was the name of that goofy kid that threw for 500 yards against Alabama?

Well....you must be talking about Josh Gulley in '95. Josh played well in that Bama game (we only lost 38-19; very respectable)....but he threw for 183 yards, not 500.

The next week, however, he did throw for 422 yards against UNLV.

Is that who you're thinking of?????

http://www.unt.edu/50yearsofprogress/athle...ges/206_jpg.htm

Ken Washington Jr. was clearly the best quarterback ever at N Texas. (since 1975) Jordan Case comes in a close second. Washington was every bit the player his OU All-American brother and NFL star RB Joe Washington was. Washington's only flaw was his 5-10 - 5-11 height at the QB position. Jordan Case went on to have a very good CFL career after NT. Case, however, could not break the starting lineup until after Washington graduated. In a past interview, years ago, Hayden Fry sung high praises for both QB's, but gave the nod to K Wash as his best. Washington was an even greater person.

In my opinion, every other QB to suit up for the Mean Green since, have been at least 1-2 plateau's below these two.

Case, Washington, Ramsey, the two Scott's, and Mitch. Since they played in different situations, it's kind of difficult to differentiate between the group. Drew had a lot of potential, but unfortunately he didn't play long enough to join the all-time group IMO. Also, I think that Hall deserves much more credit than some people seem willing to give him.

Of course I'm totally biased, but I would have to go with Bron Beal..... errr, Scott Davis! wink.gif Scott had a cannon for an arm, and could run that funky wish 'n shoot to perfection. The mental image of him faking a pitch and cutting it up the field, usually to the end zone, always brings a smile to my face!

BTW, Bron, if you're out there, just kiddin' bud!! biggrin.gif

There is really no question in my mind, Steve Ramsey is far and away the best NT QB I have seen.  He also had a successful pro career.  Ramsey was a great quarterball.  IMO Mitch Maher, Scott Davis, Jordan Case and Ken Washington were very good QB's but not in Ramsey's class.

ALL RAMSEY'S RECORDS WERE SET IN 3 YEARS NOT FOUR. NOT ONLY THE BEST NT QB EVER, BUT ONE OF THE BEST PURE PASSERS I HAVE EVER WITNESSED. IMHO FOR NT QB IT'S RAMSEY AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST WITH ANY OTHER NT QB.

Seeing how I have seen only 3 QBs (Richard Bridges, Scott Hall and Andrew Smith) play any significant time in order for me form any basis on, my choices are limited. But, my favorite QB is Scott Hall. He may not have posted the best numbers in NT history, but he showed true grit and leadership in his years with the Mean Green (both on and off the field). He will certainly be missed come August.

ALL RAMSEY'S RECORDS WERE SET IN 3 YEARS NOT FOUR. NOT ONLY THE BEST NT QB EVER, BUT ONE OF THE BEST PURE PASSERS I HAVE EVER WITNESSED. IMHO FOR NT QB IT'S RAMSEY AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST WITH ANY OTHER NT QB.

---The fact that players graduating before 1980 only played three years is often overlooked. Freshman played on freshman teams before the late 70's.--- The fact that Ced Benson passed Earl Campbell in rushing yards is not as big deal when you look at it that way, Earl had more yards per year. I don't think anyone is close to Ramsey as QB. None of the others had a decent NFL career and he started for Denver several years (replaced by Craig Morten) and was successful at NT besides.

Thanks - BTW - that quote is incorrect as well. I didn't know it when I asked you to tone it down; but I saw this post over on Voy and did a little research to see if it had any merit (it ended up to be true)... The quote is one of those urban legends that has grown on the internet. Unfortunately, it was never said by Reagan; just said TO him by someone... and then repeated by Bush. Here is the post about it from the Voy board (check the link afterwards for substantiation, that site is dedicated to finding whether or not internet information is fact or fodder, your particular quote happens to be fodder)... So if you want to keep the quote because you like it and believe in it, you might just want to take the "Ronald Reagan" attribute from it; because he never said it. Heck, it can be your own quote if you believe strongly in it; just don't pin it on one of my heroes (Reagan) please, he never actually said it.

Here is the post and the link that backs it up:

Actually that signature line has a couple of things wrong with it

1) It's a misquote. The text of the quote is wrong

2) It never happened. It's another one of those 'urban legend' quotes that was never said, and has recently morphed into GW Bush supposedly saying it.

3) Even the urban legend doesn't have Reagan saying the quote, It supposedly was said to him

Check it out on http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp

I don't really care about it as much as smaller thinking people do. Amazing, though, how folks can't deal with people who don't agree with them 100% of the time. Sad.

Guest JohnDenver

I don't really care about it as much as smaller thinking people do.  Amazing, though, how folks can't deal with people who don't agree with them 100% of the time.  Sad.

..or how 'small thinking' people want to force hot topics on to other people with troll-like tactics blink.gif

Sad indeed.

I don't really care about it as much as smaller thinking people do. Amazing, though, how folks can't deal with people who don't agree with them 100% of the time. Sad.

Well if you believe strongly in it then put it back in your sig line by all means. Just don't try to pass it off as a quote by one of my heroes, Ronald Reagan... because he never said it. Heck, you can sign it as your own saying/belief since there is no person that it is attributed to. I am not offended by your quote; I am a moderate conservative as well.

To lighten up this conversation a little; I have a server that works for me that was doing his check-out after his shift last night. He is very liberal and very vocal about being liberal - we always joke around with each other about it and both take each others' comments in good fun. There was a small ant crawling across my desk so I grabbed a notebook and killed it. He was absolutely astounded that I would kill a living being. I then asked him if he was pro-choice or pro-life (knowing fair well that he was a liberal "Pro-choice" type of guy)... as he was practically crying over my cruelty, I asked him, "So why does that ant have a right to life yet you believe a mother can terminate a human life?" Stumped him... he just smiled and said, "well, I was adopted so I guess I see things different"... My point: we all have our own set of beliefs and sometimes they contradict one another (it is called a double standard). This doesn't mean that we can't have a civilized conversation without resorting to name calling. If you believe in your (deleted) signature, simply make it your own - sign it off as your own saying. There is no other person claiming it; and you seem to believe in it - so back it up and put your name as the writer/quoted. Just don't try to pass it off on good old Ronnie, he never said it. By the way, I am Pro-Green biggrin.gif

It never ceases to astound me about the journey that some of these threads take.

Silly me! I thought this thread was about North Texas QB's. blink.gif

I've never seen so many easily-distractable-ADHD-people in my whole life.  ohmy.gif

Sorry Silver, it is my first day off from work in about 2 weeks and I have missed my GoMeanGreen discussions (on all levels) so I might be a little spastic today as I am pumped to be able to relax and chime in on things. Damn those Intranet firewalls that keep me off the board at work! I am sure that there are many on here that appreciate them though wink.giflaugh.gif

Edited by stebo

Ramsey's records were also set in seasons when FEWER games were played. 1967 (9 games 7-1-1 record), 1968 (10 games 8-2 record), 1969 (10 games 7-3 record).

Most of us who are old enough sad.gif (I even saw Zeke Martin play !) to have seen Steve play agree with Dallas that he's NT's greatest every quarterback.

Edited by MeanGreen61

That was it! Josh Gulley! Guy started a couple of games, had a little success, transfers to a bigger program b/c his parents thought they had a future NFL star on their hands. Ended up his fine career at S. Miss as a 2nd string receiver. Gotta love it when these guys get the big head and screw themselves. laugh.gif

What happened to Steve Ramsey and Scott Davis, by the way?

I believe that Ramsey died young, but I've never heard what happened to him.

I never saw Ramsey play, but I did see Scott Davis play, and he was pure inspiration. I also like Maher and Hall, too.

I know he'd never make anyone's list of top quarterback, but I once saw

Jason Mills turn in a top performance against Texas Tech which I felt I should mention. That was an incredible game. I believe he won Big West player of the week or offensive player of the week which he well deserved. The Lubbock newspaper was so complimentary of his performance, also. It was a highlight in an otherwise dismal season.

Guest JohnDenver

What happened to Steve Ramsey and Scott Davis, by the way?

I believe that Ramsey died young, but I've never heard what happened to him.

I never saw Ramsey play, but I did see Scott Davis play, and he was pure inspiration.  I also like Maher and Hall, too. 

I know he'd never make anyone's list of top  quarterback, but I once saw

Jason Mills turn in a top performance against Texas Tech which I felt I should mention. That was an incredible game. I believe he won Big West player of the week or offensive player of the week which he well deserved. The Lubbock newspaper was so complimentary of his performance, also. It was a highlight in an otherwise dismal season.

Cemetery Record

• 2 months later...

Hey Mean Green Fans,

I'm not sure how to work this thing, so I'll just quote Stebo here:

Mitch was at the last NT/ASU game that I went to in Jonesboro. Not only did he sit on the ASU side; but he refused to tell Jub-Jub who he was rooting for during the half-time interview. I would certainly expect him to "fit in" at his new location (especially due to his job) - but to openly cheer for the opposing team against your own alma mater (where you are a Hall of Famer - didn't know that) is just a terrible thing. Surely his flock could understand his love for the school that paid his way for college and allowed him to be inthe position that he is in today. If they are so backwards that they can't be understanding of his situation for one friggin game than Mitch needs to work on his preaching about compassion and tolerance skills. To me, it is unforgivable unless he asks for forgiveness. I have yet to see him acknowledge that he did anything wrong. He let down his own team that day; along with fans like me that idolized him back in the early to mid 90's.

Gracious! Yes, my wife and I sat on the ASU side that day. We walked into the stadium and found the seat marked on our tickets. I remember it being a difficult day for me... my wonderful alma mater in town playing against the local team my wife and I had begun to follow that year (it was my pleasure to meet all the coaches and many of the players that year... some of whom came to our church weekly). So, it was weird. I strongly disagree with Stebo's assessment of my cheering that day... it was not for ASU. Honestly, my demeanor for that game was a quiet pride in watching the Mean Green play so well. No doubt my Jonesboro friends (whom Stebo was sitting next to I believe... I think I remember you now) were ferociously cheering for the Indians and were giving me quite a hard time all day for my unwillingness to do the same.

I remember the interview with George Dunham (whom I consider a friend... he came over and visited with my wife, little girl, and me at my office when they were in Jonesboro this year). I do remember being a little vague in my answer, and for that I am sorry. Again it was the struggle of remaining true to the Mean Green and yet enjoying the genuine friendships I had made with so many of the coaches and players at ASU.

Anyway, Stebo, I'm sorry to have let you down. I sure didn't mean to. Hope you'll forgive me, as well as any other Mean Green fan who may think I'm a turncoat ASU fan.

And, for the record: (1) the wonderful people here in Jonesboro are not "backwards" as Stebo says. They are great people who have welcomed us to town with open arms, and (2) somebody out there said I was a Mean Green supporter at the $500 level... that's not true. No doubt I need to be, but I just haven't been. Sorry about that, too. As the money situation improves over the years, maybe that will change.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Mitch - you are such a class act and have no reason or need to defend your actions to us.

I can honestly say that what you did for our program back in 1994 basically got me involved in this program! What an unbelievable year that was. That game at SFA still gives me chills. Your performance and leadership helped us to meet the attendance goals that eventually led to our move to IA in 1995. 4 bowls, a USA Today front page and unprecedented National exposure makes that move look like a pretty good one in my book.

You have and always will be one of the most impresive and positive people I have ever come across. So glad to see you've found a happy home with your family in Jonesboro.

Of course now if you ever were called to serve in Denton or the DFW area we wouldn't complain :-)!

Seriously, we wish you and your family the best. You are one of those special players who made such a positive impact on the program. We owe you for that. Take care and God Bless!

Harry

I will forgive all you youngsters. But there is no doubt who was the best QB at NT, the great Steve Ramsey. Steve at one time had about 9 ncaa records, not conference, not yearly leader, but all time records. He was also a successful pro qb for many years. NT has been blessed to have a number of very good QB's but there have been done close to Ramsey. I understand most of you never saw those great NT teams but just look at the record book and remember freshman were not eligible in those days, so Steve only had three years.

Just a glance at the NT records.

Ramsey has 4 of the 10 highest passing yards in a game. No one else has over one. He has the record for most passing yards in a game, 495 yards.

A threeway tie exist for most td passes in a game, 5. Oh by way, the tie is between Ramsey, Ramsey and Ramsey. He is the only NT player to pass for five tds and he did it three times.

Maher does own a lot of the season and career records with Ramsey usually second. The MVC was not the strongest in the world but I do think it was much better than the 1-aa Southland. Ramsey does still have the NT record for TD passes, 69 in three years. Second place, Maher had 67 in four years.

Where did I first hear about North Texas football?

Alvord High School (about 45 minutes outside of Denton) had a guest speaker..........Mitch Maher. I can still remember your speech and the props you brought in (A cd and other new items that will replace the CD). Your message was a great one and one that I have indeed listened too.

Afterwards you invited us to come out to Denton to cheer on North Texas. It amazes me to think about you coming out that far to that little remote town in the middle of nowhere. 10 years later I can say.........thanks for dropping by.