RIP former UNT Head Football Coach Bob Tyler

The only thing that I remember about Bob Tyler was when he was interviewed after the Oklahoma State game, and he voiced some very relevant, and accurate observations about North Texas.

"This is a large institution of higher learning with an excellent academic reputation. They have a very large alumni base in the metroplex. They have probably the best Band in the South/Southwest part of America. Yet they can't get people to show up to football games.......what the hell is wrong with these people? .......indeed.

However, he left out the best part. Our administration's lack of good sense and/or competence by hiring a coach with (as the British would say) a dodgy reputation. AFTER they had been advised by multiple people in the know, not to do so.

RIP Coach Tyler. Condolences to your family.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The only thing that I remember about Bob Tyler was when he was interviewed after the Oklahoma State game, and he voiced some very relevant, and accurate observations about North Texas.

"This is a large institution of higher learning with an excellent academic reputation. They have a very large alumni base in the metroplex. They have probably the best Band in the South/Southwest part of America. Yet they can't get people to show up to football games.......what the hell is wrong with these people? .......indeed.

However, he left out the best part. Our administration's lack of good sense and/or competence by hiring a coach with (as the British would say) a dodgy reputation. AFTER they had been advised by multiple people in the know, not to do so.

He saw it in 1981. Nothing has changed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

sounds the same as today unfortunately

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

Yes and they are both deceased

Sadly. I actually worked with Louis Haynes when he died due to ALS. Great guy and so very sad to watch him go through that horrible disease. 

I didn’t realize Tony Elliot had passed until I looked him up.  Equally sad but for other reasons. He overcame a lot to accomplish what he did. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Sadly. I actually worked with Louis Haynes when he died due to ALS. Great guy and so very sad to watch him go through that horrible disease. 

I didn’t realize Tony Elliot had passed until I looked him up.  Equally sad but for other reasons. He overcame a lot to accomplish what he did. 

Mark Witte was also drafted....

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Sadly, I think Bob Tyler was the worst football coach NT ever had.  2-9 in 1981; only beat NMSU and ULM in his only season.  Yes, worse than Dodge!

I met him on campus.  About as inspirational as a:

Tree Stump Images - Free Download on Freepik

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

There is a Mark Witte that works at Wells Fargo with my mom.  I wonder if he is the same guy.

Mark was a tall blonde guy....probably about 6'3"...he played TE. And he'd be in his 60s by now. 

• Upvote 2