AAC vs MWC

This really isn't a versus scenario. But since moving to the west coast I have caught 10x more games out here on TV than years past. MWC administrators have figured it out. They POUR into basketball. Heavily. I caught a lot more MWC football, too. Their football attendance is meh and the energy in the stadium is meh, similar to the AAC. But their basketball is next level. And it has been for some time. And not just the level of play, but the fan commitment to just showing up. It's phenomenal, to be honest. The energy and environment rivals any conference, any. 

What did they do that we, as a basketball conference, can emulate? 

If I'm the commissioner of the AAC I'm scheduling a summer meeting with their commish. Same for AD'S and pro sport presidents. Sit down and pick the brain of their peers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This really isn't a versus scenario. But since moving to the west coast I have caught 10x more games out here on TV than years past. MWC administrators have figured it out. They POUR into basketball. Heavily. I caught a lot more MWC football, too. Their football attendance is meh and the energy in the stadium is meh, similar to the AAC. But their basketball is next level. And it has been for some time. And not just the level of play, but the fan commitment to just showing up. It's phenomenal, to be honest. The energy and environment rivals any conference, any. 

What did they do that we, as a basketball conference, can emulate? 

If I'm the commissioner of the AAC I'm scheduling a summer meeting with their commish. Same for AD'S and pro sport presidents. Sit down and pick the brain of their peers.

They know its easier to get eyeballs on their schools through NCAA tourney and NIT so they pour into basketball instead of football (except Boise State).

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

They know it’s easier to get eyeballs on their schools through NCAA tourney and NIT so they pour into basketball instead of football (except Boise State).

Fresnos football attendance is 10x that of basketball. Wyoming also favors football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love the mountain west. League games are a blast. Their markets are big supporters, huge supporters in the case of Albuquerque and San Diego. UNLV rocks when they are good. Boise CSU Nevada and Utah State have figured out to get good. 

I feel this coming in the AAC. Brought on believe it or not by the former CUSA members. We had a nice turnout in Fort Worth tonight. When UTSA figures it out they will bring a nice contingent to Cowtown. Charlotte UAB and FAU need to keep building. Wichita State and Memphis need consistency. 

Tonight I tasted a bit of our future in this league. It was fun. 

Beat FAU

GMG

• Upvote 2

I discussed it in the Realignment Forum, but I am on Team MWC. We need to keep informed of the development between the 2-Pac and MWC. If we can join in on a new Pac 12-18 in a package deal with UTSA, Rice, and UTEP, I think that'd be ideal. The divisions could be set up like:

Pacific Conference
Boise State
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
Oregon State
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Washington State

Mountain Conference
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
North Texas
Rice
Utah State
UTEP
UTSA
Wyoming

This would put a majority of our opponents only one time zone behind us at worst. Not sure who gets the boot if the MWC/2-Pac merger doesn't want all the MWC teams. Hawai'i/SJSU? Wyoming?

This would be a strong football conference with lots of known brands. With it projected to get 6-7 bids in the NCAA Tournament, the MWC is also a more respected basketball conference, even if a lot of teams burn out in the first round.

The American is a lot more vulnerable to continue getting poached from. Memphis, Tulane, and USF will continue to get looked at if the ACC or Big XII falls apart. This MWC/2-Pac merger would be the major confernece in the Western United States and in my opinion would be safer from poaching.

Additionally, while the American is a solid basketball league, I don't think there's generally much pride in being a part of it. Similar to CUSA, we are a random assortment of schools, I don't see any big rivalries in this conference. 

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I discussed it in the Realignment Forum, but I am on Team MWC. We need to keep informed of the development between the 2-Pac and MWC. If we can join in on a new Pac 12-18 in a package deal with UTSA, Rice, and UTEP, I think that'd be ideal. The divisions could be set up like:

Pacific Conference
Boise State
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
Oregon State
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Washington State

Mountain Conference
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
North Texas
Rice
Utah State
UTEP
UTSA
Wyoming

This would put a majority of our opponents only one time zone behind us at worst. Not sure who gets the boot if the MWC/2-Pac merger doesn't want all the MWC teams. Hawai'i/SJSU? Wyoming?

This would be a strong football conference with lots of known brands. With it projected to get 6-7 bids in the NCAA Tournament, the MWC is also a more respected basketball conference, even if a lot of teams burn out in the first round.

The American is a lot more vulnerable to continue getting poached from. Memphis, Tulane, and USF will continue to get looked at if the ACC or Big XII falls apart. This MWC/2-Pac merger would be the major confernece in the Western United States and in my opinion would be safer from poaching.

Additionally, while the American is a solid basketball league, I don't think there's generally much pride in being a part of it. Similar to CUSA, we are a random assortment of schools, I don't see any big rivalries in this conference. 

The American is losing it's biggest ambassador in Commissioner Mike Aresco.  His replacement will be critical in keeping the momentum alive and moving forward or not.  Also, when the ACC prisoners start leaving that could be a turning point for the AAC in future defections or a merger.

Your proposal with the MWC/PAC has merit.  The problem will be the PAC-2 won't want all those schools to split their pie with.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

The American is losing it's biggest ambassador in Commissioner Mike Aresco.  His replacement will be critical in keeping the momentum alive and moving forward or not.  Also, when the ACC prisoners start leaving that could be a turning point for the AAC in future defections or a merger.

Your proposal with the MWC/PAC has merit.  The problem will be the PAC-2 won't want all those schools to split their pie with.

And crickets on his replacement.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

I’m wondering if the philosophy will change in the type of programs that could be invited to the AAC with the new Commish. If so, you would think App State La Tech Coastal Texas State JMU and USA could be possibilities. 

I still think San Diego State Oregon State and Washington State could still end up in the 12 and that will make for some really juicy targets for the American. 

Right now, separate, build the American.

GMG

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Pacific Conference
Boise State
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
Oregon State
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Washington State

Mountain Conference
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
North Texas
Rice
Utah State
UTEP
UTSA
Wyoming

Everything you are saying is right, but unless this conference gets a monumental media rights deal there is just no way.  The mw tv deal is less than the aac and there is no way that Oregon state and Washington state are moving the needle enough to drastically increase that. If they were, they wouldn’t be where they are now.  

I apologize because I do not know you, but you also must not have been around during the big west days.  Because sharing a conference with west coast schools SUCKS for trying to build your brand in this time zone.  The games are so late that most people in our time zone never see them.  

now I would be on board with a merger where you take the pac-2 and the top 6 programs from the MW or top 8, and do the same with the aac.  That might be interesting.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Everything you are saying is right, but unless this conference gets a monumental media rights deal there is just no way.  The mw tv deal is less than the aac and there is no way that Oregon state and Washington state are moving the needle enough to drastically increase that. If they were, they wouldn’t be where they are now.  

I apologize because I do not know you, but you also must not have been around during the big west days.  Because sharing a conference with west coast schools SUCKS for trying to build your brand in this time zone.  The games are so late that most people in our time zone never see them.  

now I would be on board with a merger where you take the pac-2 and the top 6 programs from the MW or top 8, and do the same with the aac.  That might be interesting.  

As far as brand identity, keeping regionality intact as you can, and having an ultra competitive leauge... this would be ideal. 

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Maybe we could get Judy McLeod to replace Aresco.  Great idea?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:23 AM, untlynchka1 said:

The AAC got lucky by getting its $7 million per school for 12 years until 2031, before Houston, UCF, Cincy, and SMU left. There could be more out the door, too. Meanwhile the MWC is getting $4 million from what I could find? The Pac-12 without USC and UCLA was getting offered $23 million per school by Apple TV so logically the MWC/2-Pac should be between those numbers when the MWC deal is up in 2026. If the conference continues being a solid basketball (and football too) conference I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a better payout per school than the AAC. And in 2031 I wouldn't be surprised to see what's left of the AAC get less.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:23 AM, untlynchka1 said:

You are correct, I am one of the youngest on this board so I am learning everyday and have not experienced nearly as much sports pain as those here. From looking into the Big West those four years though, it looks like all the teams even in our division were far away (USU, Boise, Idaho, Nevada). Only NMSU was somewhat close. If all MWC teams survive the merger and we get a Texas package deal like I proposed, we wouldn't have too many extremely late games, at worst 8pm local starts. The biggest problem IMO would a good media payout but having games on a streaming-exclusive platform.

• Upvote 2

I posted this in another thread but a conference challenge would be good vs the MWC, like the ACC vs Big Ten or Big12 vs Big East. Use conference rankings at the end of the year to seed the match ups for next year.

2024 would be:

USF vs Utah State

FAU vs Nevada

Clt vs Boise St.

UAB vs UNLV

Memphis vs SDSU

UNT vs NM

ECU vs CSU

Tulsa vs Wyoming

Tulane vs Fresno

Temple vs SJSU

WSU vs AF