(Free) Breaking: Brian Odom Set To Be New Linebacker Coach

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to (Free) Breaking: Brian Odom Set To Be New Linebacker Coach

If he was a LBs coach at top collegiate programs, it makes you wonder why he would come to a G5 program in the same capacity. Could he be a potential DC replacement if Craponi sucks it up? It’s not like they’re oozing talent at LB that a coach is drooling to coach these players. I’m thinking there’s more to it

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

30 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

If he was a LBs coach at top collegiate programs, it makes you wonder why he would come to a G5 program in the same capacity. Could he be a potential DC replacement if Craponi sucks it up? It’s not like they’re oozing talent at LB that a coach is drooling to coach these players. I’m thinking there’s more to it

I've thought this.  Maybe a backup plan at DC in case we have to make an emergency decision mid-season.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Why can he not be considered as a DC candidate now?  I think he could do better than the other guy. 

Until our HC changes his AirRaid defense thinking (a reference to Leach's defenses) and decides to place an emphasis on the defensive side of the ball and focus recruiting efforts there, it might not matter who is DC.

PS - Yes, I am ticked that we had the worst Defense in FBS, and Morris made a lackluster effort to improve it.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Until our HC changes his AirRaid defense thinking (a reference to Leach's defenses) and decides to place an emphasis on the defensive side of the ball and focus recruiting efforts there, it might not matter who is DC.

PS - Yes, I am ticked that we had the worst Defense in FBS, and Morris made a lackluster effort to improve it.

How involved does the HC have to be on defense for it to be good? I always thought this varied from staff to staff, and it could absolutely work for the HC to leave said side of the ball to the DC.

Absolutely get that the Leach tree has a history of bad defenses, but I don't buy the idea that they are offensive gurus AND sabotaging the DC's efforts.

I would love more insight into how this is managed by Coach Morris.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

How involved does the HC have to be on defense for it to be good? I always thought this varied from staff to staff, and it could absolutely work for the HC to leave said side of the ball to the DC.

Absolutely get that the Leach tree has a history of bad defenses, but I don't buy the idea that they are offensive gurus AND sabotaging the DC's efforts.

I would love more insight into how this is managed by Coach Morris.

Good points. I am not saying he is sabotaging, but if we can get the interest from P5 O-linemen, we should have better luck with D-linemen.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...