FAU (1/28/24)

Big Z

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Not in the least.

Agree with CMJ here. There were some very bad calls, but we didn't manage the game well. Sloppy passing at crucial times, and poor management let the game get away from us. After re-watching Buggs' shot they would have had about 8 seconds left, and I do think we should have worked it around to drain the clock, but I don't think it was a bad choice. We just needed to make it to put the pressure on them.

• Upvote 2

I knew this would come down to the end, and it doesn't surprise me at all that Davis hits that shot.  Dude is a baller.

We nearly sent it to OT, too.

Amazing game.  Love it when these two play, and I know we are this close to getting them.  It'll happen.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I can understand Buggs' thought process, but he should have pulled it out.

As soon as he let if fly, my brain if he makes this I'll be so happy, but if he misses it I'll wish he pulled it down and took a late shot clock shot to limit their options.  If I am shooting the way Buggs has shot the last two games I probably let it fly 100 times out of 100 in that situation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

Agree with CMJ here. There were some very bad calls, but we didn't manage the game well. Sloppy passing at crucial times, and poor management let the game get away from us. After re-watching Buggs' shot they would have had about 8 seconds left, and I do think we should have worked it around to drain the clock, but I don't think it was a bad choice. We just needed to make it to put the pressure on them.

8 seconds? I thought there was about 20secs once we got the offensive board?

• Upvote 1

Just now, GMG24 said:

As soon as he let if fly, my brain if he makes this I'll be so happy, but if he misses it I'll wish he pulled it down and took a late shot clock shot to limit their options.  If I am shooting the way Buggs has shot the last two games I probably let it fly 100 times out of 100 in that situation.

Yeah, I mean he was red hot so I can't have much of an issue and I guess I don't.  Still though, even if he hit it, you're leaving the Owls with a ton of time.  I wanted to give them as little as possible to tie or retake the lead.

1 minute ago, 3_n_out said:

25.3 I went back to check but its neither here nor there.  We led or had a tie for all but 3 minutes in change on the road without Rubin.  Get back to Denton regroup and lets get back to it!

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Ah thanks. Maybe it's just the Mean Green glasses, but it just feels like we were getting called for every little thing.

That's because we were, particular Davis getting any whistle he wanted. Meanwhile, Allen can catch an elbow requiring stitches and officials are gagging on their whistle.  

The block call on Walker was BS,  too. Our guy was set. Their guy, Vladimir 🇷🇺, committed to bulldozing whatever in his way and he gets the and 1 block call. BS. 

The out of bounds called on UNT late in the 1st half where the official just guessed and gave the ball back to FAU for an inbound play 3 for Davis...all the while the ball clearly being out on FAU. Official didn't ask for help, didn't do a anything. 

Side note: I'd like Ross to get a little more animated during BS games like this one. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

We got the rebound with around 30 seconds, which reset the shot clock to 20.  Buggs let it go with like 12-13 seconds on the shot clock.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CMJ said:

Yeah, I mean he was red hot so I can't have much of an issue and I guess I don't.  Still though, even if he hit it, you're leaving the Owls with a ton of time.  I wanted to give them as little as possible to tie or retake the lead.

No doubt, I'll always feel good about our defense at the end of a game. But it would have definitely been less stressful up 3, know you have to defend a 3.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Just watched it again since I had it recorded. When the shot clock reset for us to :20 it was about a 5.5 second differential.

Edit: ah I get what you are asking. We did get a a :20 shot clock, but what I was saying is that they (FAU) would have had 5.5 seconds to get the last shot even if we would have drained the shot clock down to 0.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

My only question about this game is how did we only get to shoot 4 free throws all game? Are they really that clean of defenders down low?

No. 

But also, we don't attack the rim either. We do floaters and pull ups. However, I thought a few of Allen's post moves warranted a whistle. If his name was Johnell Davis he would have had at least a couple and 1's. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Just watched it again since I had it recorded. When the shot clock reset for us to :20 it was about a 5.5 second differential.

Edit: ah I get what you are asking. We did get a a :20 shot clock, but what I was saying is that they would have had 5.5 seconds to get the last shot.

The other thing to consider is if we would have had as good a look as Buggs did. We don't always get good looks in half court situations like that. Bottom line is if Buggs makes it, we're saying great shot and I like our chances of denying them a good look at a three at the end of the game. This is a tough team and one that deserves the support of the students and alumni. GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

How far we have come!

December 23, 1998

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) - On a record-setting night for No. 5 Maryland, coach Gary Williamsallowed himself to loosen his tie and crack a joke.

Lonny Baxter set a school record by hitting all 10 of his field goal attempts and scored 28 points Wednesday night as the Terrapins registered the most lopsided victory in school history, 132-57 over winless North Texas.

27 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Did we even drive the paint a lot to force fouls?  I feel like that's not our typical game.  Sure we can do it, but our guards don't usually pin their ears back and go to the goal like some do.

26 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No. 

But also, we don't attack the rim either. We do floaters and pull ups. However, I thought a few of Allen's post moves warranted a whistle. If his name was Johnell Davis he would have had at least a couple and 1's. 

We had more pull up jumpers than them but they shot 6 more 3s than us. 26 of their 57 FG attempts were 3s while 20 of our 57 were 3s. Here's the shot chart below. 

Screenshot_20240128_151558_ESPN.jpg.e4f94f5939a1fef119ea49692c4c7414.jpg

I don't think we had a single trip to the line from being in the bonus. We were whistled for 17 total fouls to their 11. No loose ball fouls or anything called on them when they were in the bonus. Pretty insane IMO.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They didn't attack the rim any more than us. In fact, both teams had 57 total field goal attempts. Of those 57, we shot 20 3s and they shot 26 3s. Here's the shot chart, black for UNT and blue for FAU. The difference is we were called for 17 fouls and them for 11. I don't think we got a single trip to the line for being in the bonus.

Screenshot_20240128_151558_ESPN.jpg

A shot breakdown like that doesn't tell you if the shots were near the basket because of guards driving or because the front line players got the ball down low to begin with.

I didn't think the game was called egregiously on their behalf.  Fans (ALL fans in all sports) blame the refs for 90% of the losses when it's probably less than 10.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1