New DL Commit?!?!

14 minutes ago, Ian Campbell said:

Jake Shipley has played both OLB and DL. He played DL in High School and was moved to linebacker at Oregon. I'd imagine he's coming to us to play DL.

It's probably him then, thanks!

• Upvote 3

Do "edge rushers" check for off-tackle/end runs before going after the QB? Because one of the most effective runs against our defense was a simple off-tackle run to the left. I think on two occasions it got a TD, and on other occasions it got very large gains. We're not talking about trick plays with lots of motion. They just handed it to the RB and he straight away took of toward the left DE (who often wasn't there) and was often untouched by anyone playing any position in the DL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Do "edge rushers" check for off-tackle/end runs before going after the QB? Because one of the most effective runs against our defense was a simple off-tackle run to the left. I think on two occasions it got a TD, and on other occasions it got very large gains. We're not talking about trick plays with lots of motion. They just handed it to the RB and he straight away took of toward the left DE (who often wasn't there) and was often untouched by anyone playing any position in the DL. 

The most simple play has been killing us all the way back to the year App State made our defense look comical. There is a video on youtube that breaks down the Iowa State 3-3-5 and points out how the off tackle run is the main weakness and requires the middle (star) safety to crash downhill and keep the run to 3 yards or less. It will remain a problem I'm not convinced we have the personnel to run this defense.

• Upvote 5