Not to reignite the "Replace The Pit" argument, but...

Matt from A700

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

They aren’t dead center…..

and sure going to games for 30 years and I’m a miserable fan…. Ok 🙃

DUKE STUDENTS SIT DEAD CENTER.  THEY SIT THE ENTIRE FREAKING SIDELINE.

Watch a damn game.  Section 17 is the ENTIRE sideline.

duke-blue-devils-seating-chart-at-camero

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

DUKE STUDENTS SIT DEAD CENTER.  THEY SIT THE ENTIRE FREAKING SIDELINE.

Watch a damn game.  Section 17 is the ENTIRE sideline.

duke-blue-devils-seating-chart-at-camero

In a lotto for 1200 seats they said and no not all dead center as that photo as from a student where he was gong to sit apparently. Go down the rabbit hole that is Reddit student section seating…. I got lost lol. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

In a lotto for 1200 seats they said and no not all dead center as that photo as from a student where he was gong to sit apparently. Go down the rabbit hole that is Reddit student section seating…. I got lost lol. 

Yes, if the section is the entire sideline then no not everyone will sit in the center...but the entire sideline IS student seating.  I didn't find any damn thread.  I've followed college basketball for years and it's been a long time thing that Cameron Indoor gives THE BEST seats to the students.  When you kept going on about Section 17 I found the layout of Cameron and it's THE ENTIRE sideline, which I knew it had to be. 

They have to wait out for the seats at get them, that's why Krzyzewskiville became a thing.  There's a lottery of sorts for the grad students.  I remember years ago when ESPN did a profile on it.  They only have to do the camping out thing for it once before the season, rather than the undergraduates who have to before every single game.  Perhaps things have changed a bit, but that was the old protocol.  And yes, students have the majority of the best seats...over 80% of the floor seating in Cameron Indoor was for undergrads and grad students.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Oh I see….. student should get in free and then sit in the prime seating. Your right….. your probably one of those new grads perhaps failed by the system. Your owed everything hm. 
students should also get free food and drink too 🙃

What makes you think the students get in free?  In fact, they through the mandated fees pay most of the cost of the entire athletic program.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

19 hours ago, Andrew said:

and sure going to games for 30 years and I’m a miserable fan…. Ok 🙃

30 years of sitting on your behind is not good for the body. Get up, stretch, cheer, have fun. Sedentary lifestyles lead to a plethora of illnesses. If for nothing else, do it for your health. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:12 AM, drex said:

I thought that the new plan was to keep the Super Pit, but maybe doll it up a little more.  I do think that a parking garage hooked into the Pit would be a good idea.  It could be built in the area just east of the Pit where the flag poles are, etc.  Crossing the street from the old Fouts Field parking is not ideal.

For years the master plan had always been to build a large parking garage in the old Fouts lot and make a pedestrian bridge going across to the Pit.

Screenshot2023-12-31at10_19_41AM.png.313bdd1ce7c38e6415463c7ee1621841.png

Screenshot2023-12-31at10_19_59AM.png.861681c6dc08b3099ea881cabd9dc86c.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

So many possibilities that I would be okay with but my one non-negotiable is that the student section needs to be moved to center court. I know some games are light on students (holiday break) but I’m okay with that over the boring, lifeless “loge”. 

Wouldn't it be tough to play a game with the students standing in the middle of the court?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

So then why is Baylor doing it?

Delusional to think our fan base and student body support is the same as Baylors. Why has Apogee student attendance suffered? Kids these days are lazy AF.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

On 1/2/2024 at 4:29 PM, wardly said:

Why would you put any money in a basketball venue that averages less than 4,000 fans per game?

Updating/building a venue is more than just catering to your current spectators. A more modern venue can provide a more entertaining product that entices people to return and serve as a selling point for recruits. If you go to an event and the place is electric and exciting, you have a better chance of getting those people to return. 

• Upvote 2

$212 Million seems very over-priced for only 7,000 seats...

"While there are parts of the $212 million facility not yet completed away from the court, the 7,000-seat arena with standing-room space for about 500 more spectators was ready for games. It came 20 months after ground was broken in May 2022."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39231462/baylor-bears-open-basketball-arena-banks-brazos-river

On 1/1/2024 at 11:24 PM, MDH said:

Delusional to think our fan base and student body support is the same as Baylors. Why has Apogee student attendance suffered? Kids these days are lazy AF.

Because we haven't had a winning season since 2018. 

• Upvote 5

On 12/29/2023 at 9:28 PM, NT80 said:

Not really a fan of a barn-style arena. 

It's the Waco way, surprised they didn't use any shiplap. 

Also the Superpit is fine. There could be a new jumbotron or something, but the structure itself is a beautiful venue for what it's used for. It would be a waste to build anything else. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 1/2/2024 at 4:29 PM, wardly said:

Why would you put any money in a basketball venue that averages less than 4,000 fans per game?

The same reason that we built Apogee when we averaged 17,000 fans a game. At least with basketball we hang banners in the rafters with some consistency. Better ROI than football in that regard.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

The same reason that we built Apogee when we averaged 17,000 fans a game. At least with basketball we hang banners in the rafters with some consistency. Better ROI than football in that regard.

So we are averaging only 20,000 fans in a 30,000 seat stadium. Did we overbuild? Also when you have a 10,000 seat arena with less than 4,000 fans on average it looks pretty pitiful.Until we get an understanding of the negative impact NIL wiIl have on our athletic program I really don't know what I would do regarding investing in more programs and bricks and sticks.

• Upvote 1