Boise State fires head coach

Travis

BSU fans lose their minds when their teaM loses 4 games or more. I mean loses it. And their AD is receptive to the fans. 
And so do the players honestly. A lot of them will start seeking moves elsewhere. I don’t think it is any surprise that this comes off of a week after their best WR announced he is hitting the portal.  

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

BSU fans lose their minds when their teaM loses 4 games or more. I mean loses it. And their AD is receptive to the fans. 
And so do the players honestly. A lot of them will start seeking moves elsewhere. I don’t think it is any surprise that this comes off of a week after their best WR announced he is hitting the portal.  

What is giving you these impressions?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Travis said:

I live in Boise. They are my number two team to follow after the mean green.  
This community here acts very differently than the North Texas community. And so does their Athletic Department. UNT is always number one to me, no doubt.  But they just have a different expectation here of what is considered success… Even if it might not be reasonable. But they get better results than we do because of it I think. 

thank you

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Travis said:

But they just have a different expectation here of what is considered success… Even if it might not be reasonable.

So did Florida. Since Urban Meyer left in 2010 they've fired coaches so quickly that it has all fallen apart for them. Billy Napier is under .500 as their coach after two seasons and they just gave up 701 yards on defense, the worst in school history.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Andy Avalos (one of their own) got fired today following a 41-14 win from last night. They are 5-5 on the year and he holds a 22-14 record going into his third year. Last year he went 10-4. Worst full year was first where he went 7-5. 

This is something UNT would NEVER do.  We would extend a lifetime tenured contract with those results. But I love that BSU has that little thing called standards. 

Meanwhile we have people here thinking we should retain coaches who oversee statistically the worst units of our program in FBS (and arguably in our history of our program at that).  

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-fires-andy-avalos/277-1410e2c5-a796-491a-af50-523c55ab365e?fbclid=IwAR018HIbelneh0jrawgZhDxiizu6IqXgncfTUOpCsERxxy2rP-YIOyBD9iE_aem_AeCjAyLLtV71Tjzi1r8gXTv5_5SN7bSlrGpIFvLVMXeFVE18AjKZFYQdTwcKZjskVsU#lovtjua2koieghb1z

We'd build a statue of him

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

In the past 20 years UNT has caught up to Boise in every possible category (athletic budget, salaries, conference affiliation,...), except expectations. This is why Boise never suffers real down periods. Anytime they sense their program is on the verge of falling off, they do what is necessary and go get a better coach. Boise understands that the cost of losing is far greater than what it cost to ensure winning. 

I'm on the fence with Morris, I'm not quite ready to get rid of Morris. I think he has a really good offensive mind, and I want him to be a success. But, if he can't do what is best for UNT and get us a winning defense, then Morris is probably no better than any of the other Air Raid head coaches, that can't field real defenses. No head coach should retain a DC whose defense ranks dead last in the FBS. If Caponi stays, I will have serious doubts about Morris' ability to be a head coach at this level. Right now, Morris reminds me too much of Littrell, and that is a major red flag. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Travis said:

This community here acts very differently than the North Texas community. And so does their Athletic Department. UNT is always number one to me, no doubt.  But they just have a different expectation here of what is considered success… Even if it might not be reasonable. But they get better results than we do because of it I think. 

This guy was coach of year in MWC last year. Tough crowd.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Serious question because I don’t know and I guess you may not either depending upon how long you’ve lived there.  Have they always had those expectations or did the higher expectations come with the success they found under Peterson?  

7 hours ago, Travis said:

Andy Avalos (one of their own) got fired today following a 41-14 win from last night. They are 5-5 on the year and he holds a 22-14 record going into his third year. Last year he went 10-4. Worst full year was first where he went 7-5. 

This is something UNT would NEVER do.  We would extend a lifetime tenured contract with those results. But I love that BSU has that little thing called standards. 

Meanwhile we have people here thinking we should retain coaches who oversee statistically the worst units of our program in FBS (and arguably in our history of our program at that).  

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-fires-andy-avalos/277-1410e2c5-a796-491a-af50-523c55ab365e?fbclid=IwAR018HIbelneh0jrawgZhDxiizu6IqXgncfTUOpCsERxxy2rP-YIOyBD9iE_aem_AeCjAyLLtV71Tjzi1r8gXTv5_5SN7bSlrGpIFvLVMXeFVE18AjKZFYQdTwcKZjskVsU#lovtjua2koieghb1z

Don’t be ridiculous. If we had the level of success that Boise has had over the last 25 years then of course we would have similar expectations but expectations have to be grounded in reality. We just fired the guy with the highest win percentage of any coach since Hayden Fry because he elevated the expectations of this program. Now we are expecting more from Morris than Littrell was able to achieve and hopefully more still from Morris’ successor but don’t get crazy thinking that we have anywhere close the level of success that Boise has had from which to set our expectations.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Don’t be ridiculous. If we had the level of success that Boise has had over the last 25 years then of course we would have similar expectations but expectations have to be grounded in reality. We just fired the guy with the highest win percentage of any coach since Hayden Fry because he elevated the expectations of this program. Now we are expecting more from Morris than Littrell was able to achieve and hopefully more still from Morris’ successor but don’t get crazy thinking that we have anywhere close the level of success that Boise has had from which to set our expectations.

And this is why we are mediocre. 

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, Travis said:

And this is why we are mediocre. 

Because the coaches we have fired weren’t as good as the ones Boise had hired away? Until you drop Boone Pickens money it’ll be a crap shoot until we hit Boise level success. While Dickey was winning Sun Belt titles, Dan Hawkins had Boise consistently ranked in the top 20 while compiling 1 loss seasons and WAC titles. It has only gotten worse since. I guess by your logic we should have fired Dickey during the conference championship run because of expectations.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Because the coaches we have fired weren’t as good as the ones Boise has hired away? Until you drop Boone Pickens money it’ll be a crap shoot until we hit Boise level success. While Dickey was winning Sun Belt titles, Dan Hawkins had Boise consistently ranked in the top 20 while compiling 1 loss seasons and WAC titles. It has only gotten worse since. I guess by your logic we should have fired Dickey during the conference championship run because of expectations.

Boise doesn’t have that much money. 🤷🏻‍♂️
and their facilities are crap compared to ours. 
what they do have is a rabid fan base that doesn’t accept mediocrity and they have had that for the last two decades. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Boise doesn’t have that much money. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know that. I’m saying they had a string of successful coaches that were hired away that built on top of what their predecessors had done. Unless you inject your program  with T Boone type money to fast track things, it is a crap shoot on your hires until you find the success that Boise did with coaches being hired away.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Serious question because I don’t know and I guess you may not either depending upon how long you’ve lived there.  Have they always had those expectations or did the higher expectations come with the success they found under Peterson?  

Not only Peterson but the guys before him like Hawkins and Koetter.