Pulse of the Fanbase..

NorthTexasWeLove

Before and After  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Was firing Seth Littrell possibly a mistake?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

9 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Because of bad decision thar reverberate for decades.  That makes minor mistakes down the line more punative.  I didn't mean say it was "easy".  But building legitimately successful G5 program isn't hard given proper timely investment and consistency of not rewarding mediocrity.  Leadership has not done that here.  Extending Seth twice is emblematic of that.  Every major positive move they have made has been a least 5 years late.

1. building decent FBS stadium late

2. Building large indoor practice staduim late

3. Hiring a coach with P5 experience late (and when they did, they did not surround him with a strong regional recruiting  reputation *Coach McCarney)

4. Committed to more modern offensive schemes and passing late (actually took a step back in that regard to hired Mac).  So now we should be in the 3rd generation of running variations of the spread not the second.  

5. Extending Seth without anything to show for it except bowl appearances.  Sorry but with only 5 wins against FBS competition and  more than half of FBS teams going to bowls a lower bowl appearance is barely a step above a participation trophy.  Can you think of a head coach top or near top in salary for their conference getting multiple extensions with salary increases without winning ANYTHING TANGIBLE? 

The facts are this program does A LOT OF STUPID 💩 that is first guessed by many on this board.   This infatuation with the color black is symbolic of that. 

And not that it would have an impact on winning here are the other symbolic things that were a least a decade late or more

1. Mean Joe Greene Statue

2. Something on par with a statue honoring Odus Mitchell 

3.  And great but at least 20 years late. Link below

All this is a pattern of constant pursuit of mediocity and maybe thinking it is "easy"

Other than the late facilities, I don't think any of that stuff has to do with why we're so behind as a program. All it takes is one coach who knows what they're doing to change course. Statues and not running the right offense 10+ years ago is irrelevant. None of those players would be here today and none of them would have any bearing on how the program is performing today.

10 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Why are we comparing ourselves to Wyoming, again?

I don't know, but we do play them next season at DATCU and two years later at War Memorial in Laramie.

Wyoming being the flagship university of the state isn't much advantage when the state has only 570,000 people in it. Denton County has 941,000 people.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We've needed three incredible second half comebacks to appear competitive this year.

True, but we’ve had three incredible second half comebacks.  The game is 4 quarters.

I don’t remember those under SL.  I just remember garbage points when the game was over.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NT93 said:

True, but we’ve had three incredible second half comebacks.  The game is 4 quarters.

I don’t remember those under SL.  I just remember garbage points when the game was over.

Tulane and Memphis were great comebacks. UTSA was more garbage time. Ironically, UTSA felt closer than Tulane and Memphis but the 2 redzone turnovers killed us. We get TDs on those drives instead of turning the ball over and we're probably getting a win yesterday. Sucks but it's the way things are when your defense can hardly generate turnovers themselves.

There's reasons to be optimistic with Morris but also reasons to be concerned. We can say SL got lucky with Fine but we could say the same with Morris and Rogers especially considering he started Earle games 1 and 2. The evaluation looks poor. Having Rogers on the roster to take over doesn't change that. We were all optimistic early with SL. He went to West Point and beat an 8 win Army team year 1 and then beat a 10 win Army team year 2. He beat Arkansas on the road. He sent many players to the NFL including an All American who got drafted. There's nothing early on that indicates Morris will do any better. Close loses don't change that.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

These Texas high school football connections are doing us wonders

The team that just beat us was coached by a former Texas high School football coach. I guess we need to go hire the best Kansas high school football coach. Small slow kids from Kansas are the way to propel this football team forward. Maybe you and some of your fraternity bros can walk on this spring. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, rcade said:

I don't know, but we do play them next season at DATCU and two years later at War Memorial in Laramie.

Wyoming being the flagship university of the state isn't much advantage when the state has only 570,000 people in it. Denton County has 941,000 people.

Exactly this, when I mentioned Wyoming as the flagship university of a state it comes with expectations but when you state is small in population you don't have the resources that help other flagship universities with drastically larger populations.  I look at G5 programs that have started playing FBS level (or restarted) within the last 25 years.  And our program just hasn't been run efficiently.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2023 at 8:25 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

Other than the late facilities, I don't think any of that stuff has to do with why we're so behind as a program. All it takes is one coach who knows what they're doing to change course. Statues and not running the right offense 10+ years ago is irrelevant. None of those players would be here today and none of them would have any bearing on how the program is performing today.

Having a consistent successful philosophy that is associated with your brand helps. And only mentioned the statues as a consistent trend of doing things late and half ass; like the transition from Littrell to Morris. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1