Lots of smoke out there

emmitt01

No definitive announcements yet, but I've been seeing several articles from writers associated with Clemson, FSU and North Carolina saying their departures are happening "sooner than later."  

Without easily their best two football brands, and arguably the best basketball brand....how long before the ACC becomes the next to be cannibalized?   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

No definitive announcements yet, but I've been seeing several articles from writers associated with Clemson, FSU and North Carolina saying their departures are happening "sooner than later."  

Without easily their best two football brands, and arguably the best basketball brand....how long before the ACC becomes the next to be cannibalized?   

Have noticed the same thing and I think it is a foregone conclusion especially with Florida State a national championship contender.

• Upvote 1

This is not good news.
My prediction that is sure to be wrong -

After the ACC teams are picked apart by the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10, what is left will probably combine with WSU and OSU and then pick off teams from the AAC and MWC to fill out their league.

Then - What's left of the AAC and MWC will merge.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

They have all been looking for legal loopholes to get out of their GOR agreements (to the ACC until 2036).  FSU is leading the hunt, but 7 total schools want out.  FSU wants SEC $$ and probably has a standing invite, if they can get out of ACC jail.

Smut may get into the ACC just as they are about to go Out of Business!  LOL.

• Haha 2

On 9/28/2023 at 8:14 PM, NT80 said:

They have all been looking for legal loopholes to get out of their GOR agreements (to the ACC until 2036).  FSU is leading the hunt, but 7 total schools want out.  FSU wants SEC $$ and probably has a standing invite, if they can get out of ACC jail.

Smut may get into the ACC just as they are about to go Out of Business!  LOL.

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

• Haha 1

Florida State and Clemson seem to be the main agitators but people who tend to know what they are talking about say North Carolina is the top prize that SEC and Big Ten most covet.  Neither Clemson nor Florida State adds another dime in carriage fees for the SEC Network. Big Ten has never admitted a member not in the AAU (though Nebraska lost its membership) and neither Florida State or Clemson is AAU. I suppose for enough dollars B1G might change its mind.

North Carolina is AAU. Competent in football and a national basketball brand which matters in driving viewers to the conference network with games more days than just Saturday. Virginia would be Big Ten's second choice most likely. SEC might opt for VPI over UVA.

• Upvote 3