DCTF: Are Texas State and North Texas Case Studies in Roster Building

TheReal_jayD

48 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I don't know if Caponi can install a 4-man front defense in a week, but even if it sputters, it would be better than watching the 3-3-5 kill any chance of a win in Ruston. 

I don’t disagree, but I’ll play devils advocate.  What would be our reaction if Morris was a Flexbone guru, but it was failing miserably with Littrell’s Air Raid roster?  Would we expect Morris to run a version of the Air Raid since that’s what he has the personal for?  

Honestly, and I really don’t mean this as a knock on Caponi, but he may not even know how to teach another defense.  Kind of the same as it’s unlikely Morris could teach another offense.  A lot of these guys are married to the system they know and trust.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I did a study last year at one point our average raking of the teams we beat was something like 157, I am not sure we were anything but better than the bottom dwellers we beat.  Portal out some of the playmakers and we are really bad. 

Probably true, but when you’re 7-5 and play in the conference championship game and almost win a bowl game, it’s not nearly as apparent as when you’re 1-11 (Colorado) or 4-8 (TxSt).

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Don’t agree Bennett’s defense was serviceable. I agree things have gotten worse, and didn’t think that would/could be the case. 

Fair.  They were marginal defenses except for 2021 which was his best year, yet somehow we regressed to 2007/2008 ridiculousness.

Edit:  Bennett's defense in 2021 was ranked 68th, the year after taking over for Bowens 127th/last ranked D.  Weird how he did not require a complete rebuild.  In 2022 his D finished ranked 120, not good and a contributing factor to Seth's demise so don't want to get too revisionist history with Bennett. He had one pretty decent year and one that was not light years ahead of this one (but 'only' gave up 32 pts per game, a solid 20 ppg below where we currently sit).

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I don’t disagree, but I’ll play devils advocate.  What would be our reaction if Morris was a Flexbone guru, but it was failing miserably with Littrell’s Air Raid roster?  Would we expect Morris to run a version of the Air Raid since that’s what he has the personal for?  

Honestly, and I really don’t mean this as a knock on Caponi, but he may not even know how to teach another defense.  Kind of the same as it’s unlikely Morris could teach another offense.  A lot of these guys are married to the system they know and trust.  

If we were in a tear down scenario it might make sense to bring in a guy with a tangent philosophy.  If you are just trying to take what has had moderate success and take the next step I would not expect the AD to hire a guy that requires taking it down to the studs.  If this is what we have done then I think the AD failed at his job.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Fair.  They were marginal defenses except for 2021 which was his best year, yet somehow we regressed to 2007/2008 ridiculousness.

The somehow was we lost players, switched schemes, hired an inexperienced DC, and brought in no experienced players for that new system through the portal. 

i don’t KNOW if we have the Xs and Os (or the coach to scheme them), but I’m positive we don’t have the Jimmy’s and Joes for it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If we were in a tear down scenario it might make sense to bring in a guy with a tangent philosophy.  If you are just trying to take what has had moderate success and take the next step I would not expect the AD to hire a guy that requires taking it down to the studs.  If this is what we have done then I think the AD failed at his job.

I agree.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Other fans that aren’t even NT fans are starting to notice the bad trend that Morris has been talking about…

Good for honesty, but it’s clear he got off to a horrible start because this shouldn’t be coming out of a head coach’s mouth in WEEK 2 OF THE SEASON!!

IMG_7267.jpeg

OMFG.  I wonder how that team meeting went?  Did he come in and just say, "men, we've talked about my vision for this program from day one.  We worked on it during spring ball, honed it during fall practice and have seen the results during our first two games.  I'm here today to tell you to forget all that, we're gonna try something new."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I guess I’m not following.  I think it’s a good sign that Morris realizes and accepts that his plan isn’t working or getting buy in.  That’s a sign that we will, in fact, see adjustments being made.

Would you rather have someone who kept the blinders on and just kept marching down the wrong path?

It's probably more semantics or maybe airing it in public.  I have no problem changing strategy, tactics, approach or game plan (which should change to some extent each week), but I don't think his vision for the program should change unless he now believes it's unattainable or not attainable in any reasonable timeframe.  Wasn't it partly his articulated vision for the program that got him the job?  If he's resetting it, what is it now?

Edited by keith

I don't expect wholesale changes during the season.  They may tweak some things here and there but I highly doubt a scheme change. 

I assume even a 3-3-5 defense has packages that puts an extra defender in the box that makes it look/act more like a 7 man front.  Maybe we can lean on those packages until things stabilize.  Of course any reaction in one area will impact another area so we will likely be choosing between 'in the stomach or in the face'.

I suspect Morris will try to adjust the same as Littrell did and start emphasizing the run game in order to slow things down to try and limit the time his defense stays on the field.  Let's hope that adjustments are made quickly because this defense is headed toward historical ineptness if something doesn't change soon.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

I don't expect wholesale changes during the season.  They may tweak some things here and there but I highly doubt a scheme change. 

I assume even a 3-3-5 defense has packages that puts an extra defender in the box that makes it look/act more like a 7 man front.  Maybe we can lean on those packages until things stabilize.  Of course any reaction in one area will impact another area so we will likely be choosing between 'in the stomach or in the face'.

I suspect Morris will try to adjust the same as Littrell did and start emphasizing the run game in order to slow things down to try and limit the time his defense stays on the field.  Let's hope that adjustments are made quickly because this defense is headed toward historical ineptness if something doesn't change soon.

Maybe start Enoch at NT and put Rod at DE. We have a competent NT backup in Moore who reportedly is playing well. This moves Mazin back to LB as an outside pass rusher (quasi fourth lineman). 
Honestly I don’t know the answer but a 240lb DE in this system isn’t working and our LBs are on the small side. This would improve both problems.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I guess I’m not following.  I think it’s a good sign that Morris realizes and accepts that his plan isn’t working or getting buy in.  That’s a sign that we will, in fact, see adjustments being made.

Would you rather have someone who kept the blinders on and just kept marching down the wrong path?

It was meant to be a bigger gut shot at Teflon Todd. Dodge was the worst coach in the history of NT football. Hopefully, Eazy E rights the ship quick. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, NT93 said:

Yeah, Caponi might not be able to coach a 4-6 or another type of defense. But, it seems he can't coach a 3-3-5 either. At this point, what the harm in trying something we might be better suited to run. I don't think it can get worse than giving up 46 to FIU.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Yeah, Caponi might not be able to coach a 4-6 or another type of defense. But, it seems he can't coach a 3-3-5 either. At this point, what the harm in trying something we might be better suited to run. I don't think it can get worse than giving up 46 to FIU.

To steal a quote from another thread:

*ACU has entered the chat*