If ACU Beats us…..

Cooke County Kid

So as for ACU. I was curious how they’ve started. 

They’re 2-0 with 2 blow outs  

Beat N Colorado 31-11 And Prairie View 45-16

Ironically, they play UIW (1-1) this Saturday. 

If we don’t make massive improvements this weekend, we’ll come back to Denton 0-3 facing a possible 3-0 FCS team that is going to be licking their chops to beat an FBS team that is in a downward spiral 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ohio won their division in the MAC last year with a 10-4 record!     
FIU finished with 1 win! 
So, YES. It's very, very different.

Bless you NT80, you're really trying... but you're continually missing very important details.

Well, just trying to tell all the stubborn people the reality is that Morris is here, and we're not firing him for at least 3 more years, so fans better just buckle up and accept it rather than starting their own new coaching search (which won't happen).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Well, just trying to tell all the stubborn people the reality is that Morris is here, and we're not firing him for at least 3 more years, so fans better just buckle up and accept it rather than starting their own new coaching search (which won't happen).

best-cry-ever-cry.gif

I know the reality.   That's where the frustrated reaction is coming from.   I've "accepted" a lot of losing through the years.   I was hoping to be done with it... at least, losing at this kind of "Bottom 10" level.   But, just like the Texas fans, I guess we should all just say, "We're Back!!!!1!!"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

best-cry-ever-cry.gif

I know the reality.   That's where the frustrated reaction is coming from.   I've "accepted" a lot of losing through the years.   I was hoping to be done with it... at least, losing at this kind of "Bottom 10" level.   But, just like the Texas fans, I guess we should all just say, "We're Back!!!!1!!"

Lol.  I'm with you, losing is never fun.  I still hope it's just a short transitioning for a few weeks to the new schemes, instead of full rebuild mode and sub-.500 for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

<snip>

Morris checked a lot of boxes that we wanted:  Texas background, college head coaching experience, good spokesman with fans and media, experience in building up programs, could re-establish connections to Texas high schools, familiar with putting together a staff and support staff, etc.

</snip>

I think it's time we re-evaluate the boxes and how important they are.  These are the same we've been after forever and it's gotten us jack-squat.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

As far as the FBS experience as a head coach I can make a huge list of successful head coaches that didn’t have FBS Hc experiences before their job. I just think you have to do a good job evaluating

Here at North Texas I think minimally you need successful FCS Head Coaching experience at a program that recruited/recruits heavily in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas.  And by successful I mean going deep into the FCS playoffs at least once and multiple appearances in the playoffs.  Coach Morris isn’t that.  He might win here but really knowing how to be successful in this region of the country above the high school level is critical.  The time for “learning while on the job” is just not available any more here if the program wants to keep up  with the San Diego States, Boise State USF, Memphis, Tulane, and ECU like programs

Edited by Mike Jackson

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

Morris checked a lot of boxes that we wanted:  Texas background, college head coaching experience, good spokesman with fans and media, experience in building up programs, could re-establish connections to Texas high schools, familiar with putting together a staff and support staff, etc.

Ehhh, he "built up" one program, UIW, to the tune of a 24-18 record. I generally like to see a longer tenure, better record, or multiple successful stops before giving the guy the kind of pedigree that was suddenly heaped on Morris AFTER we hired him.

A lot of guys can make it at one stop over a short time-frame. Sustaining success or taking it to multiple programs is what truly separates the greats from everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Here at North Texas I think minimally you need successful FCS Head Coaching experience at a program that recruited/recruits heavily in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas.  And by successful I mean going deep into the FCS playoffs at least once and multiple appearances in the playoffs.  Coach Morris isn’t that.  He might win here but really knowing how to be successful in this region of the country above the high school level is critical.  The time for “learning while on the job” is just not available any more here if the program wants to keep up  with the San Diego States, Boise State USF, Memphis, Tulane, and ECU like programs

3 of the 6 teams you listed have head coaches with zero head coaching experience on any level prior to taking their current jobs. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

25 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

3 of the 6 teams you listed have head coaches with zero head coaching experience on any level prior to taking their current jobs. 

So, why do we keep landing the duds? Did RV piss off some voodoo lady back at the New Orleans bowl in 2001? Because that seems like the most likely scenario.

Edited by Udomann
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

Ehhh, he "built up" one program, UIW, to the tune of a 24-18 record. I generally like to see a longer tenure, better record, or multiple successful stops before giving the guy the kind of pedigree that was suddenly heaped on Morris AFTER we hired him.

A lot of guys can make it at one stop over a short time-frame. Sustaining success or taking it to multiple programs is what truly separates the greats from everyone else.

The previous coach had NO stops and NO experience as a head coach.   

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

You know what those programs don’t have in common with ours?   They haven’t turned off their fans and been the but of jokes in their local markets for most of the last 20 years.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Udomann said:

So, why do we keep landing the duds? Did RV piss off some voodoo lady back at the New Orleans bowl in 2001? Because that seems like the most likely scenario.

I think about this way too much.  I think the industry is complicated.  Lots of people.  Places/homes are very different from one to the next.  Other random thoughts:

You can be a good HC, but if you don't have the right pieces in place, you fail.  You can be a good coach at one point in your career, and awful at a later point (thinking of McCarney, here).  You can a good HC in one place, and awful in another place.  Sometimes it's just not a good fit.  Sometimes you can have a pretty terrible coach strike gold at one stop, early in his career, then misfire the rest of his career.

Also, we have a history of making piss poor decisions.  Especially prior to 2013.  RV misfired on just about every major hire under his watch (Not sure if JJ was his hire or not).  And I hold him responsible for allowing Todge to bring in HS assistants.  Other bad decisions included going to 1AA.  More recently, allowing SL contract to play out like we did.

It's wild how all these various dynamics have aligned perfectly in Denton, to grant us the worst, most consistent misfortunes.