The New Coaching Model

MCMLXXX

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Coach Prime is a unique 1-of-1 but he should be the new CFB model.

"Coach Prime is an outlier but we should adopt his formula"

???

He's not an outlier. Several programs are filling their rosters with 25-40-60-70% transfers. What he is, though, is a media magnet. And, therefore, you will never hear the end of it. The longer it works, the louder it will become. 

Side note: Travis Hunter is freaky. 

4 hours ago, Udomann said:

I HATE the new models.

I want to watch UNT players. I don't want to watch UNT's rent-a-team play like SMU has. 

NIL+Portal has killed college football.

Unfortunately, we have to roll with it or die.

This.  I have absolutely no interest in watching semi-pro football, especially one w/o a salary cap.

But, like you said, that's where we are.  I no longer watch any pro sports and quit watching NCAA BBall since teams rarely lasted more than 1-2 years.  I don't watch P5 games because of the way things have gone and it looks like we're either going to have to behave the same way or be 3-9 forever.  Either way, the end is getting closer unless something changes once the 2 big conferences become the main focus of college FB.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

There isn't one particular right way in building a football program. A holistic approach is probably going to be the way a good solid mid major program is going to have to build for sustained success IMO. And just remember, like the mid major program we are, we can't ignore being able to COACH UP a roster and develop players.

That said there is nothing about college football that has been killed. The sport has been the exact same except now players have rightfully been given the freedom to take advantage of their NIL just like the schools, coaches, TV networks, advertisers etc all have done for decades. And by the way the money continues to get bigger and bigger because people love it and apparently can't get enough of it. 

24 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

And by the way the money continues to get bigger and bigger because people love it and apparently can't get enough of it. 

That money is likely not getting bigger because of fans (exemplified by dropping attendance across the board at football games), but by the school and donors who are learning you can now buy wins instead of working for them.

I don't mind if a player gets paid his fair share for usage of his value to drive revenue. It's the uncapped, uncontrolled, and uncompetitive amount they are playing ball for.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Udomann said:

That money is likely not getting bigger because of fans (exemplified by dropping attendance across the board at football games), but by the school and donors who are learning you can now buy wins instead of working for them.

I don't mind if a player gets paid his fair share for usage of his value to drive revenue. It's the uncapped, uncontrolled, and uncompetitive amount they are playing ball for.

And funny enough people here are suggesting we go whole hog in on transfers while we sorely lack an large NIL collective and donors in general. And some of those people admittedly do not even donate to UNT! How would we keep up?

• Upvote 1