Our AD made a MASSIVE mistake with this HC hire

Travis

17 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

So you are saying the last coach was a horrible recruiter and this new guy didn't find us better alternative than Aune, Head, Rogers, or Earl?  Seriously no longer believe the big donors nor Adminstration are ambitious enough to make the moves necessary not to be left out new CFB the power that be are marching towards.  Us not even making a public attempt to bring in Coach Sanders tell me that we don't really want to win.  Make fun of the trust fund rubes of SMU all you want, but they WANT to win.  They probably won't but you can never claim they aren't trying hard enough.  I regularly skeptical of our leaders efforts and decision making.  FIRST GUESSED not second guessing.

Didn’t know UNT had big doners…not calling this team ‘Mean Green’ until they prove they deserve the moniker. North Texas was pushed around at the line of scrimmage and couldn’t convert on 3rd down…I read an article on ESPN that stated new head coaches have two rules they can use in transfers and recruiting, which helped Sanders and the Texas St. coach both bring into their programs dozens and dozens and dozens of new players…why didn’t North Texas do the same?

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Spring camp wasn't enough?  What about Fall camp or his time at Washington State?

BTW, anyone know who was on our football coach search committee?  Probably nutsak plants.

You really think camp is enough to determine everything about a team and get ready? Hes a new HC and staff taking over a program that underperformed under a previous HC. You really have no clue about what you have until you play a game.

Ya gotta give him some time to figure things out. Im not saying hes without criticism at all but rarely does a HC come in and do amazing at the very start

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Hes a new HC and staff taking over a program that underperformed under a previous HC

So that coach that underperformed in 2022, he was good and trending postive in 2021 right? 🙄.   You know Morris or another new coach could have had a whole year to evaluate the roster during a lame duck year in CUSA?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

You really think camp is enough to determine everything about a team and get ready? Hes a new HC and staff taking over a program that underperformed under a previous HC. You really have no clue about what you have until you play a game.

Ya gotta give him some time to figure things out. Im not saying hes without criticism at all but rarely does a HC come in and do amazing at the very start

It's not about coming in and doing amazing. Losing is not the irritant... getting boatraced is. I think we endured enough of that during the SL era. The firing of SL was to get away from the blowouts, being more competitive, and snagging a bowl trophy here and there when a matchup presents itself. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think some of these folk would fire Saban after losing to LaMo.

We didn’t need but the first game to determine that Benford wasn’t going to be the Saban of college basketball.  We didn’t need beyond the Oklahoma game to know that Dodge wasn’t going to be our Saban here.  To suggest that a Saban experience is more the norm is something that is quite debatable. Especially with a team that our new HC inherited that wasn’t ‘terrible’.  

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Travis said:

We didn’t need but the first game to determine that Benford wasn’t going to be the Saban of college basketball.  We didn’t need beyond the Oklahoma game to know that Dodge wasn’t going to be our Saban here.  To suggest that a Saban experience is more the norm is something that is quite debatable. Especially with a team that our new HC inherited that wasn’t ‘terrible’.  

Of course, but you still don't fire any of these people after Game #1.

• Upvote 2

A head coach can only do so much, but he is the captain of the ship and sets the tone and priorities for the program.  He owns the results we see in the field.  We are small, slow and not very athletic.  We lost a ton of talent to the portal.  Not sure if that’s because we didn’t “recruit” the players we already had and chose to focus on local high school players that aren’t going to help this year.  I’ve only watched future opponents FIU, LaTech and UTSA this year. FIU is going to be better than people think and UTSA is going to clobber stomp us.  

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Then you haven’t really been paying attention. Our fan support is not good, as evidenced by our financial numbers year after year. Just thank the students for the bulk of the financial support this program currently has.

Dude - there was more that showed up to SMU with no excitement heading into the season with a new coach or conference. Look that up. We didn't have nearly the level or showing we did for Houston or Indiana or hell... even TSU. 

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

So that coach that underperformed in 2022, he was good and trending postive in 2021 right? 🙄.   You know Morris or another new coach could have had a whole year to evaluate the roster during a lame duck year in CUSA?  

Lmao I wanted him fired after 2020. Id seen enough after that because of how horrible that year was. So what in gods name are you even talking about?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Lmao I wanted him fired after 2020. Id seen enough after that because of how horrible that year was. So what in gods name are you even talking about?

I didn't realize you were one the few that wanted him gone regardless of the outcome of the game against Miami OH, like I did.  The second extension wasn't warranted.  I am beyond frustrated with Adminstration and big donors appetite for mediocrity.  So the comment was aimed at that way more than what you actually said. 🤣

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I didn't realize you were one the few that wanted him gone regardless of the outcome of the game against Miami OH, like I did.  The second extension wasn't warranted.  I am beyond frustrated with Adminstration and big donors appetite for mediocrity.  So the comment was aimed at that way more than what you actually said. 🤣

Oh  I was confused by your response. Nah I liked Littrell until the 2019 season and after that I lost any interest in retaining him another year as there was no excuse for that. But figured he’d get one more year, which he got (and more), and I’d been openly campaigning for him to be fired since 2020. 

I am also frustrated by the acceptance of mediocrity as UNT can be so much more but they’re happy where they are i guess

• Upvote 2

On 9/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, Travis said:

It’s all in the title. This is going to be a very very bad era for North Texas football. 
I am all for the firing of SL. But we have taken big steps back with this HC and his Coordinators.  We look so unprepared against a mediocre P5 team.  

Come On fellas, you hire a DC thats never been a DC, a linebackers coach thats spent the last 5 years as an assistant player rep then you sprinkle in a defensive line guy thats never ran his own room and expect to not get 60 hung on you? Then your receipt keeper can maybe get us in a few high school kids (2 yr works in progress) when you need coaches and folks with connections with other coaches that can give you a heads up with portal kids.  Which is the single most important connection to have, in the new football environment

• Upvote 6

This thread title is ridiculous at this point but one thing that was really wrong Saturday is our HC did not have much of a presence. I could find him down there occasionally but he did not seem very directly engaged. It was also a problem with his predecessor early. If you don’t drive the bus, it WILL quickly go off the cliff.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

This thread title is ridiculous at this point but one thing that was really wrong Saturday is our HC did not have much of a presence. I could find him down there occasionally but he did not seem very directly engaged. It was also a problem with his predecessor early. If you don’t drive the bus, it WILL quickly go off the cliff.

A few times on the broadcast it would pan over to the UNT sideline and Morris is a small guy and he would sort of back peddle or sink into sideline crowd with much larger people all around him. It reminded  me of this...

Disappear Homer Simpson GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

It isn’t gonna be ridiculous if it turns out true.  Morris is gonna make me a prophet. 

• Downvote 3

On 9/3/2023 at 9:25 AM, Coach Andy Mac said:

Yup.  You basically get one home opener and it sets the stage for a year or longer in terms of support and fans.  Morris blew that terribly yesterday.  He underestimated how far down Littrell had lowered this program and now we  have to deal with that mistake for a very long time.  Morris is very green as a head coach and it showed yesterday. 

How far Littrell lowered the program?!? We were a 1-11 program when Littrell took over. 

• Upvote 7