The Clock Rule...

NorthTexasWeLove

is awful. 

The games are still extending into 3+ hours of "football", but possessions and snaps have significantly been reduced. After watching several games, teams will be looking at roughly 3 possessions a half, 6-ish a game. 

2 score leads going into the 4th now seem unsurmountable. Anything more than 1 turnover will now feel defeating. Chipping away at an early 21-3 deficit to come back and win will be non-existent. 

With all of this said, teams that can run the ball with success will now have the upper hand over up-tempo and/or fast scoring programs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

is awful. 

The games are still extending into 3+ hours of "football", but possessions and snaps have significantly been reduced. After watching several games, teams will be looking at roughly 3 possessions a half, 6-ish a game. 

2 score leads going into the 4th now seem unsurmountable. Anything more than 1 turnover will now feel defeating. Chipping away at an early 21-3 deficit to come back and win will be non-existent. 

With all of this said, teams that can run the ball with success will now have the upper hand over up-tempo and/or fast scoring programs. 

Texas A&M to hire Memphis' Darrell Dickey as offensive coordinator

"What's that you say?"  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

is awful. 

About 6 per game? Just looking at Minnesota vs Nebraska and Utah vs Florida:

Minnesota possessions: 10

Nebraska possessions: 9

Florida possessions: 12

Utah possessions: 12

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

FIU: 12

La Tech: 13

UConn: 9

NC State: 10

Even Navy/ND (with Navy's strategy trying to slow the game down:

Notre Dame:8

Navy: 7

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Maybe 6 meaningful chances for points per game. I don't know. I read some SI article, and they were bringing up points about it all. I'll try to re-find and post url. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Florida was down 24-11 with the ball and 6:30 left and it felt like they had zero chance. Not because of talent, it's just unrealistic with the new rules. In my opinion they should have made this change for first and third quarters only. "The Drive" would never have happened under these rules. 

I already hate it, it wasn't for less commercials thats for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Florida was down 24-11 with the ball and 6:30 left and it felt like they had zero chance. Not because of talent, it's just unrealistic with the new rules. In my opinion they should have made this change for first and third quarters only. "The Drive" would never have happened under these rules. 

i think the rules would have been the exact same as they were for the Drive, that was inside of two minutes

Edited by golfingomez

2 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i think the rules would have been the exact same as they were for the Drive, that was inside of two minutes

Yeah, it was. It just speeds the game up to that point. Odds are The Drive opportunity doesn't actually happen, the game ends before that. 

Teams no longer have to sit on the ball to milk the clock. And it's difficult to just sit on the ball to get the playclock under 10 or 5 every snap to play conventional football. It's unnatural and teams will often mid-game forego that plan to play the game. Now teams can play that style and it not look like they're playing that style. Huddle-break-get to LOS under 10-hike under 5. And a 10 play drive can take 10 game minutes without it looking unorthodox and obvious. 

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, it was. It just speeds the game up to that point. Odds are The Drive opportunity doesn't actually happen, the game ends before that. 

Teams no longer have to sit on the ball to milk the clock. And it's difficult to just sit on the ball to get the playclock under 10 or 5 every snap to play conventional football. It's unnatural and teams will often mid-game forego that plan to play the game. Now teams can play that style and it not look like they're playing that style. Huddle-break-get to LOS under 10-hike under 5. And a 10 play drive can take 10 game minutes without it looking unorthodox and obvious. 

maybe the 'fix' here is to change the play clock to 35 seconds? i really don't have a problem with the clock changes, i just wish they would limit the amount of challenges per game. no booth challenges... only from the sideline

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Was never a fan of the rule change, just needed to stop breaking for commercial after every possession.

This. Just split the screen like they do with golf and soccer and call it “”play through” like they do. Get the commercials and doesn’t bog down the game. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Naw, Florida just had no chance. Had it been a better offense, it could have happened