PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

And how do Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State fund their programs on a television deal that won’t be anywhere close to what they are accustomed to?  ESPN isn’t paying a lot to televise the four least desirable PAC teams and a bunch of MWC teams (if they were willing to pay a premium for MWC content, they’d be doing it already). 

So what’s your argument here? The remaining pac schools will have to take a huge pay cut if they stay in the PAC so instead they should… take a bigger payout to go to the MWC?

The only way they don’t take a pay cut is getting in B1G/SEC/B12. Those conferences already crunched the numbers and don’t want them. 

They are gonna have to eat that payout either way. The PAC is an autonomy five conference, the MWC is not. 

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:And how likely are MWC schools to jump at what won’t be traditional PAC level money knowing any of the traditional PAC schools will bolt the second a real P5 (or is it P3 now?) offer comes?

Again what’s your argument here? The MWC schools should make less money and not go into an autonomy conference… why again? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

So what’s your argument here? The remaining pac schools will have to take a huge pay cut if they stay in the PAC so instead they should… take a bigger payout to go to the MWC?

The only way they don’t take a pay cut is getting in B1G/SEC/B12. Those conferences already crunched the numbers and don’t want them. 

They are gonna have to eat that payout either way. The PAC is an autonomy five conference, the MWC is not. 

Again what’s your argument here? The MWC schools should make less money and not go into an autonomy conference… why again? 

Where is your guarantee that this “autonomy” conference makes more than the MWC?   Since when have TV providers been clamoring for Cal and Oregon State content? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Where is your guarantee that this “autonomy” conference makes more than the MWC?   Since when have TV providers been clamoring for Cal and Oregon State content? 

I have no guarantees, but if you think TV execs want to pay more for Wyoming and Colorado St  than they do for Cal and Ore State then we can just agree to disagree. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, C Rod said:

Mike Aresco is working behind the scenes… 

MWC has also signaled to the PAC that they are open to a merger.

Thankfully the AAC has the type of elite educational-focused schools Stanford and Cal want to be associated with and the Texas recruiting & TV markets. 🙏🏼

We'd come out in a very good position if this were to happen. I don't know how likely to happen that is, but I hope Aresco explores all options. One thing he could pitch to the PAC 4 is we take the PAC name if it means keeping the autonomy tag, which IIRC has its own share of the CFP payout. Then say you will invite SDSU and CSU for 2025. That creates a nice bridge even if only Stanford and Cal join. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

We'd come out in a very good position if this were to happen. I don't know how likely to happen that is, but I hope Aresco explores all options. One thing he could pitch to the PAC 4 is we take the PAC name if it means keeping the autonomy tag, which IIRC has its own share of the CFP payout. Then say you will invite SDSU and CSU for 2025. That creates a nice bridge even if only Stanford and Cal join. 

But if only Stanford and Cal join…how do you “vote out” Washington State and Oregon State since they’re legacy members of the conference that would be overtaken?

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

But if only Stanford and Cal join…how do you “vote out” Washington State and Oregon State since they’re legacy members of the conference that would be overtaken?

I meant in the event that OSU/WSU prefer to go to the MWC. They might opt for the more regional side while Cal/Stanford might be enticed by the AAU schools the AAC has. Rice, Tulane, USF. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I meant in the event that OSU/WSU prefer to go to the MWC. They might opt for the more regional side while Cal/Stanford might be enticed by the AAU schools the AAC has. Rice, Tulane, USF. 

That would be the ideal situation for the MWC. That or those two schools going independent. If they decide to stay and try to rebuild the Pac, the MWC could very well be dead. 

Just now, TheTastyGreek said:

2024 Pac-4 Playoffs

Congratulations to the teams that qualified for the 2024 Pac-4 Postseason Playoff Tournament!

Pac-4 North Division: Oregon State, Washington State
Pac-4 South Division: California, Stanford

Do You Have a TV Network?

Do you own a TV network, TV station, streaming service, YouTube channel, Twitch channel, or maybe an Instagram/TikTok/X account with, say, 5,000 followers or more and want to broadcast an NCAA conference on your channel? My name is George Kliavkoff and I'd love to chat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are a lot of rumors circling on Twitter/X. 

The one that is gaining traction is that the PAC schools realize they still have the A5 status which is very valuable. Rumor is the PAC is considering merging with the top MWC schools and some AAC schools to maintain the name and A5 status. Apple is reportedly still in the hunt for content so *a* deal of some sort is reportedly still on the table. 

I *really* hope that Aresco is being aggressive here to get this deal instead of the MW and, subsequently, the A5 status for the American schools. If ESPN is as angry as reports suggest about not having west coast content, and Aresco has a good relationship with them as it appears he does, maybe they’ll come into the mix and provide the dollars necessary to make this deal go the AAC’s way. 

With where we are today, UNT either comes out of this in an even better position with a strong conference and A5 status, or in CUSA 3.0. Hopefully it’s the former. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dudes got some hardware and ad plugs to be as goofy af as he is. 

Everything that has been rumbling behind the scenes for months came to fruition. From here, I haven't heard or read or listened to anything to suggest what will happen next. I hope this guy is right. 

No chance in Hades.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

No chance in Hades.

Meh. At this point who knows. The mwc programs can't go unless theyhave  take 6 or 7. Those remaining 4 don't want to be associated with those nearby universities that they have looked down upon for decades, let alone 6 or 7 of them. Stanford goes indy. They'll have to scale waaaaaay back on sports offered and spending, and given their typical support good luck with all that. That leaves 3. Wazou, or st and Cal. They have 0 national pull. Just not sure what to make of it at this crossroad. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

They’ll probably add SMU, Tulane, and 6 schools from the MWC. Then there will be a MWC/AAC merger.

This guy Ben makes a good counter argument to this scenario which I hadn’t thought about before. 

Given the previous Apple deal was reported to have a tiered structure based on the number of subscribers, having small private schools isn’t good for revenue at all.

• Upvote 4