Mason Fine taking over in Saskatchewan

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

SSK lost to Toronto 31-13 today.

Mason was 27-39 for 302 yards and 2 INT. He was relieved at some point and the back up was 4-5 for 100 yards and a TD.

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I watched most of the game through the 3rd quarter before tuning out. That offensive line is just horrible. He'd have pressure in his face immediately after receiving the snap. Most incompletions are from being rushed into the pass and getting hit while releasing the ball. Could have had a TD to close the first half after great field positioning. Fine gets them down inside the 5 and they run it up the middle. RB loses the ball while fighting for more yards. Just poor quality play all over that offense.

It seems the Riders are just a poorly coached team. That kickoff coverage is laughable. Mason is a wizard but he just doesn’t have the velocity that the third string guy has. When you’re getting pressured like that you have to be able to sling it hard enough to get the ball to the receiver before the db can get his hands to it. Mason is great but pro players are just so dang quick, even in Canada. I imagine Mason won’t feel very good tomorrow morning. I’d bet getting smacked by 6’9” 287lb Shawn Oakman probably doesn’t feel too good.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

It seems the Riders are just a poorly coached team. That kickoff coverage is laughable. Mason is a wizard but he just doesn’t have the velocity that the third string guy has. When you’re getting pressured like that you have to be able to sling it hard enough to get the ball to the receiver before the db can get his hands to it. Mason is great but pro players are just so dang quick, even in Canada. I imagine Mason won’t feel very good tomorrow morning. I’d bet getting smacked by 6’9” 287lb Shawn Oakman probably doesn’t feel too good.

He can fit it in tight spaces in the short and intermediate game, and has in his two CFL starts, but there hasn't been enough time for the deep routes to develop with how soon the defensive line comes crashing in. A lot of his deep balls would likely be on target if he wasn't getting smacked down mid release.

The 3rd string guy did well in garbage time but it's called garbage time for a reason. Don't think he'd do much better when the game is still in play and against the competition Mason faced on those defensive lines.

I hope Mason gets one more chance against a team that isn't best the west/best in the east. I'm not in tune with what their media folks are saying but it's a cut throat industry. Just a shame his opportunity comes on such a poorly coached team, as you pointed out, and against the top 2 teams in the CFL.

• Thanks 1

I forgot all about the game yesterday.  I watched last week and planned to watch yesterday.  
Based on the one game I saw, I agree with some of the things that have been said:  bad o-line, questionable play calling at times,  no run game (see bad o-line).  I hope Mason continues to get the starts.  He’s put up good numbers except of course the INT’s.

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

I forgot all about the game yesterday.  I watched last week and planned to watch yesterday.  
Based on the one game I saw, I agree with some of the things that have been said:  bad o-line, questionable play calling at times,  no run game (see bad o-line).  I hope Mason continues to get the starts.  He’s put up good numbers except of course the INT’s.

Unfortunately INTs and TDs are what matter, not yards. He’s got plenty of the former and almost none of the latter. I can’t imagine he gets many more chances if he keeps that up. 

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Unfortunately INTs and TDs are what matter, not yards. He’s got plenty of the former and almost none of the latter. I can’t imagine he gets many more chances if he keeps that up. 

True.  Even as I typed what I did, it felt like I was downplaying the INT’s when, as UNT fans the past few years, we know what game changers they can be😩😂

9 hours ago, NT93 said:

True.  Even as I typed what I did, it felt like I was downplaying the INT’s when, as UNT fans the past few years, we know what game changers they can be😩😂

I'd say the difference here is Fine's interceptions have come with the games already out of reach or close to being out of reach. He's not throwing them in critical moments granted the games also haven't been close enough late for there to be critical moments.

Mason's team beat Ottawa 26-24.

He was 23/37 for 296 yards and 1 TD. This was my first time watching a CFL game from start to end. The multiple WRs running in motion and 3 downs kept throwing me off. But it was entertaining!

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

He's 1-2 as a starter. More touchdowns get you more dubs and more importantly for him more PT.  Driving the bus won't win him the starting job.

As others have touched on, the Riders' OL sucks.

First two losses: 8 sacks taken
Last night: 0 sacks taken

But also, nice to not have to play one of the two best teams in the league. The Riders will take on another middle-of-the-pack team in the Alouettes (4-3) this weekend but in Montreal.

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think field size is playing into this view.  CFL fields are almost 12 yards wider, in addition to the extra deep endzones.

It's the upper-deck weather covers (going vertical adds an illusory height), pressbox/suites all the way around, and virtually no endzone seating that are really doing it. Pretty nice looking stadium if you ask me.

56 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If I'm not mistaken, Mosaic Stadium (where the riders play) doesn't offer any bench seating. It's all individual seats with an arm rest which takes more space. 

Interesting facts about Mosaic Stadium.

Capacity: 33,000 expandable to 40,000

Opened: 2017

Cost: $278,000,000

Suites: 38

The south endzone is SRO known as "Pil Country".

Corporate sponsor: Original contract with Mosaic was signed in 2006.  It was a ten year contract for $3.75 million.

Watching him play yesterday, there are some serious issues with that team. There seemed to be major miscommunication between the WRs and Fine throwing some crazy airballs to the middle of no where. There were a couple of dimes he threw that reminded me of his days here, but between the Oline and recievers... It's no wonder the team is struggling.

Either way, any chance to watch him play is worth while. Haven't watched CFL for a long while.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1