North Texas logo is gone?

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Maybe I'm confusing what a "score bug" is.  When I see game scores flashed or listed they usually have a small logo next to them, is that what this is referring to?  

image.png.34c6f0e2ef5c1258d39d55e21eebabf4.png

This is a score bug. Most of the time there's not enough space to write out "North Texas." What I think Jared is saying is instead of having "North Texas" shortened to "N.Texas" we'll use "UNT" instead. The logo should just be the Diving Eagle. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

image.png.34c6f0e2ef5c1258d39d55e21eebabf4.png

This is a score bug. Most of the time there's not enough space to write out "North Texas." What I think Jared is saying is instead of having "North Texas" shortened to "N.Texas" we'll use "UNT" instead. The logo should just be the Diving Eagle. 

Unless things change this season, every network except NBC has enough room on the bug for “North Texas.” ESPN definitely has enough room, that’s the one that matters now being in the American.  

However, on ESPN’s bottom line, their ticker, they have been using “N Texas.”

If the networks aren’t using the logos or wordmarks that the AD would like them to use, then they need to be more aggressive in getting them the right logos. The networks will use whatever the school wants them to use, but some PA in Bristol won’t know if the school wants Diving EagleUNT or just plain Diving Eagle if nobody tells them. They’re making art for hundreds or thousands of teams across all of their properties. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

However, on ESPN’s bottom line, their ticker, they have been using “N Texas.”

If the networks aren’t using the logos or wordmarks that the AD would like them to use, then they need to be more aggressive in getting them the right logos. The networks will use whatever the school wants them to use, but some PA in Bristol won’t know if the school wants Diving EagleUNT or just plain Diving Eagle if nobody tells them. They’re making art for hundreds or thousands of teams across all of their properties. 

That is what I was thinking of.   But I have seen the other, score bug also.  I have seen a small "Diving Eagle North Texas" logo used before and it's way too small to read it.  I don't mind UNT in these cases.   

It's like when I first started seeing GCU or SMC in basketball scores.   I had to think what schools those were until I got familiar with them; now I recognize them.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:12 PM, NT80 said:

Apparently they want us to start saying 'UNT'

Why can't we drop the 'U and just be 'NT'?.. like Notre Dame is not usually denoted UND, it is simply 'ND'

Is it Houston or UH?

Memphis or UM?

Texas Tech or TTU?

Baylor or BU?

Penn State or PSU?

Name or initials?

I will only speak for Houston.  Almost everyone here calls it U of H. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, MeanGreenATO said:

I firmly hate the UNT branding. When you leave the Metroplex, there's a significant drop in the odds someone knows what you're referencing. As someone who now lives out of state, it's easier to explain that I went to North Texas instead of answering the follow-up question of "where's UNT?" 

Leave it to Central Florida and some of these other schools who are OCD about going by an acronym because they feel they've earned the right to be a brand. It's one of the dumbest things in college athletics. 

if you think you hate UNT branding you will loathe the UNT marketing in Houston.  They make it sound like a used Volvo. 

basically "Go to UNT, its boxy, safe and cheap!"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:59 PM, NT80 said:

Terrible idea.  WE ARE "NORTH TEXAS"!   Have been for over 100 years!   

I didn't graduate from UNT, and never use it to say where I went to college. 

Southern Cal, Southern Miss, East Carolina, South Florida, etc all have no issues with direction in their name.

Southern Cal and South Florida primarily go by USC and USF.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I have no problem being called UNT and using that more, but we need to come up with a better logo for athletics then the UNT with the diving eagle. That one is good for the university as a whole but its not a good sports logo. Either stick with just the SOW, or figure out how to make the UNT work better. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I have no problem being called UNT and using that more, but we need to come up with a better logo for athletics then the UNT with the diving eagle. That one is good for the university as a whole but its not a good sports logo. Either stick with just the SOW, or figure out how to make the UNT work better. 

Exactly! Even UTSA was smart enough to figure this out. Doesn't take a graphic designer to figure out which one looks better.

University:

image.png.85f8cfabe86ab59d7883c7d8260a3ebe.png

Athletics:

Texas-SA Roadrunners Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG ...

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Exactly! Even UTSA was smart enough to figure this out. Doesn't take a graphic designer to figure out which one looks better.

University:

image.png.85f8cfabe86ab59d7883c7d8260a3ebe.png

Athletics:

Texas-SA Roadrunners Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG ...

i agree. Maybe a stylized UNT with Mean Green underneath or too the side... throw in the SOW and now we cooking

On 7/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, NT80 said:

Terrible idea.  WE ARE "NORTH TEXAS"!   Have been for over 100 years!   

I didn't graduate from UNT, and never use it to say where I went to college. 

Southern Cal, Southern Miss, East Carolina, South Florida, etc all have no issues with direction in their name.

East Carolina has to be one of the worst "directional" names. There is no state called "East Carolina".... only North or South Carolina. So, the name should be either NE Carolina or SE Carolina. Talk about directionally/territorially challenged.

And then there is the overly vague collection of "directional" names. Starting with...

Northwestern.........Northwest of where? Our name at least gives you a state to work with.

Southern Cal.....that's a lot of territory to go hunting for their campus.

Southern Miss......see above.

South Florida.....see above.

Southern Methodist,,,If you assume that the name is referring to the deep south, then that covers an area starting in Maryland and ending in Texas. They might as well have called it "Find-us-if-you-can- somewhere-in-the-southern-states-University."

• Upvote 1