Breaking: North Shore WR Christopher Barnes Commits for North Texas

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: North Shore WR Christopher Barnes Commits for North Texas

If we could take just 30 seconds to stop arguing over whether our brand new coach is a bust before his first game, or whether verbal commitments represent a blood oath, I’d like to point out a few things: 

- This is ANOTHER commitment from a school that sees the late rounds of the HS playoffs A LOT

- He is f-a-s-t

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/15084804/63271d03d21b720e3c0d9b4e

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Go the F away

But, he isn't wrong. The P5 is dying. It's all about PM (Power Money) conferences and trying to be a PM type program in the AAC. The best players are now openly going to the highest bidders. There are collectives/programs in the AAC that are determined to be PM programs.

The sad truth is that if we aren't securing our share of PM quality players, we at best will be relegated to being a middle of the pack AAC program that won't compete for conference titles, a spot in the new 12-team playoff, or a spot in any future round of realignment 10 years down the road. 

How is out collective looking? Who have they signed? What are they paying? When we have these answers, we can better gauge our expectations for recruiting and winning. 

As to the topic of this thread... Barnes is a great addition. The guy is lightning fast and has good hands. Now I want him to Bleed Green.  

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

After me being unimpressed with Mazin Richards, I don't look askance at any highly touted player below FBS.  

It wasn't so much that he was from a small school, but that he's a senior from a small school. Most substantial talent would have been seen by then.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

If we could take just 30 seconds to stop arguing over whether our brand new coach is a bust before his first game, or whether verbal commitments represent a blood oath, I’d like to point out a few things: 

- This is ANOTHER commitment from a school that sees the late rounds of the HS playoffs A LOT

- He is f-a-s-t

He is electric lol, that highlight reel is a fun watch. Looks like he could take over return duties from Horton if he stays committed and comes here.

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2023 at 11:46 PM, 97and03 said:

I can’t image a scenario where this staff actually brings in a major recruit. HS recruiting has been ok but nothing more than the old staff. Charlotte just landed a guy with 50 offers, for comparison. I think they are energetic and hustling, but let’s be honest with ourselves. We hired an FCS coach who is still looking for diamond in the rough players while our peers are bringing in blue chips. Morris better be an amazing Xs and Os guy or he will be gone in three years. 

And currently Charlotte’s class is rated below our class and looking at their current class, I find not one player with 50+ offers or even 20.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

But, he isn't wrong. The P5 is dying. It's all about PM (Power Money) conferences and trying to be a PM type program in the AAC. The best players are now openly going to the highest bidders. There are collectives/programs in the AAC that are determined to be PM programs.

The sad truth is that if we aren't securing our share of PM quality players, we at best will be relegated to being a middle of the pack AAC program that won't compete for conference titles, a spot in the new 12-team playoff, or a spot in any future round of realignment 10 years down the road. 

How is out collective looking? Who have they signed? What are they paying? When we have these answers, we can better gauge our expectations for recruiting and winning. 

As to the topic of this thread... Barnes is a great addition. The guy is lightning fast and has good hands. Now I want him to Bleed Green.  

I guess my frustration is if you look around other boards no moderators let other schools fans come on and put as much crap on their boards as on this board. Would be nice if we actually had a spot where North Texas fans could discuss issues without having Houston or SMU fans chime in

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

18 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

- He is f-a-s-t

This kid looks great.  Fun tape.  Add great hands with above average body control to that track speed resume.  Hope we can hang onto him.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2023 at 11:53 PM, UNTLifer said:

And currently Charlotte’s class is rated below our class and looking at their current class, I find not one player with 50+ offers or even 20.  

I can’t find the tweet that claimed that but it might have been this guy? (The tweet I saw might have been inaccurate or an exaggeration.)  I don’t see that many offers but the ones he has are fairly big.

https://247sports.com/player/rod-gainey-jr-46117157/

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2023 at 11:07 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I guess my frustration is if you look around other boards no moderators let other schools fans come on and put as much crap on their boards as on this board. Would be nice if we actually had a spot where North Texas fans could discuss issues without having Houston or SMU fans chime in

It’s coming

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I can’t find the tweet that claimed that but it might have been this guy? (The tweet I saw might have been inaccurate or an exaggeration.)  I don’t see that many offers but the ones he has are fairly big.

https://247sports.com/player/rod-gainey-jr-46117157/

https://247sports.com/player/brandon-jones-46128570/

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2023 at 11:07 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Don't you love the "fan" that shows up to announce their team's commitments when they are not in our conference.  Real esteem issues.

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...

I don't see a reason to be anxious about this. Chris chose North Texas over Washington State back when WSU had a winning program and was a full member of the PAC12. All that has changed now. WSU has lost to every PAC12 school on their schedule except future MWC mate Oregon State. They'll be playing all future games far away in really remote locations without airports where his friends and family will never be able to see him and the Mountain West games are rarely on television in Texas.

That, and he has stated that "the Lord has a plan for him at North Texas".

I can see a player turning his back on a school, but on his friends, family, and his God? I would hope not.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1