UNT Day Of Giving has Officially Kicked Off!!

So, I upped my FB season tickets from two to five and that includes MGSF donation for each seat. Does that count? On a side note, it would be interesting to see which school or organization receives the most $ in donations. I personally think music, but I'd sure like to see a substantial amount going to the business school, engineering or science in general. Oh yes, and athletics.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

So, I upped my FB season tickets from two to five and that includes MGSF donation for each seat. Does that count? On a side note, it would be interesting to see which school or organization receives the most $ in donations. I personally think music, but I'd sure like to see a substantial amount going to the business school, engineering or science in general. Oh yes, and athletics.

And I'm almost positive this has been discussed earlier,  but this campaign makes me think of the child-like ads we are forced fed during softball game telecasts and also the cartoon like billboards we see around town. Who exactly is the university marketing to? Surely, not serious doners.  I would much rather give money to a serious endeavor of cranking out doctors, engineers or business entrepreneurs rather than a university that markets itself as a frat party school. 

Just one old farts take.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 3
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

And I'm almost positive this has been discussed earlier,  but this campaign makes me think of the child-like ads we are forced fed during softball game telecasts and also the cartoon like billboards we see around town. Who exactly is the university marketing to? Surely, not serious doners.  I would much rather give money to a serious endeavor of cranking out doctors, engineers or business entrepreneurs rather than a university that markets itself as a frat party school. 

Just one old farts take.

I agree. I would much rather be involved with a giving endeavor tied to this site or the people here who seem to really care.  Where does the money for the scholarship fund go?  I want to give my money to NIL because that seems like it could be a much better return on investment.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree. I would much rather be involved with a giving endeavor tied to this site or the people here who seem to really care.  Where does the money for the scholarship fund go?  I want to give my money to NIL because that seems like it could be a much better return on investment.

I've thought the same thing and I want the biggest bang for my buck. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Just one old farts take.

Respectfully, if you feel UNT markets itself as a "frat party school," you're very much out of touch with the current state of UNT and what a "frat party school" looks like. The Greek Life is relatively small at UNT and your biggest athletic departments in the country are tied to schools with much larger Greek Life. Many of those big donors come from their Greek Life as those are the students going through business schools and who end up generally making more money than the arts/music students.

An NT Daily article from 2012 shows, at the time, less than 5% of UNT students were members of a fraternity or sorority. In comparison, Alabama's website shows their Greek Life population makes up 35% of their total student population. Georgia is at 29%, Texas is at 14%, Texas A&M is at 11%, Ohio State at 10%, Michigan at 15.51%. These are the students who get involved with their school as students, go to games, set up tailgates, and come back as alumni seeking to relive those glory days with their old buddies. If UNT athletics wants to thrive, they need to grow that community.

If you need numbers tied to UNT, our largest donor Brint Ryan was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha at UNT and is still involved with that organization.

Just a younger farts take.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I do agree with this. The idea was floated around on here a few months ago, but there's a lot of grey area regarding this. For example, if we start a fund, what happens if we pay the athletes, and they don't pay taxes on the funds? Additionally, if we started an LLC to collect funds, we would have to hire a CPA to do our books. That would create independence/compliance issues with my current job.

I don't trust the Light the Tower fund. There's zero transparency from them. Someone on the board gave money to them and they didn't even get a receipt/acknowledgement. Why would I donate to them if they don't have their affairs in order?

The best course of action is to donate to the athletic department directly. Here's the link.

https://bit.ly/3nlXjgQ

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1

2 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

UNT comes up with a day of giving that gives people a chance to come in at whatever level they feel comfortable coming in at and it meets hostility here? I just don't get it.

This campaign is a good thing for the university. It's been done at other universities around the country too. Athletics even came up with some unique ways to bring in this year's accomplishments, honor Mean Joe, etc. All these things help people learn about this program and gives them an opportunity to dip their toes in the water. Once people are in, even at $9.40, they become new leads who the department can cultivate and hopefully bring on board at higher levels. That doesn't even mention they found some donors (AD, head coaches, anonymous) to commit to matching some of these gifts. $'s in are good for this program no matter how they come in.

Well said. Was just about to say the same thing….you just said it much better than I would have. Appreciate the response. 👍🏽

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Respectfully, if you feel UNT markets itself as a "frat party school," you're very much out of touch with the current state of UNT and what a "frat party school" looks like. The Greek Life is relatively small at UNT and your biggest athletic departments in the country are tied to schools with much larger Greek Life. Many of those big donors come from their Greek Life as those are the students going through business schools and who end up generally making more money than the arts/music students.

An NT Daily article from 2012 shows, at the time, less than 5% of UNT students were members of a fraternity or sorority. In comparison, Alabama's website shows their Greek Life population makes up 35% of their total student population. Georgia is at 29%, Texas is at 14%, Texas A&M is at 11%, Ohio State at 10%, Michigan at 15.51%. These are the students who get involved with their school as students, go to games, set up tailgates, and come back as alumni seeking to relive those glory days with their old buddies. If UNT athletics wants to thrive, they need to grow that community.

If you need numbers tied to UNT, our largest donor Brint Ryan was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha at UNT and is still involved with that organization.

Just a younger farts take.

I don't take issue with anything you stated. If all that is true, thats great. All I know is what I see other schools advertise and that's academics and what that contributes to society as a whole. The ads UNT puts out does not inspire me as being a serious institution. It's very juvenile  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

Would be interested in this as well but will probably give some today as well.

43 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I don't take issue with anything you stated. If all that is true, thats great. All I know is what I see other schools advertise and that's academics and what that contributes to society as a whole. The ads UNT puts out does not inspire me as being a serious institution. It's very juvenile  

I don't see how but maybe that's just me. I look at SMU's giving day website and they had challenges as well which included a pre-giving day social media challenge, student organization challenge, Greek organization challenge, young aluminum challenge, a "paint the map red and blue" challenge that was to get at least one person in every state to donate, and so on. Does all of that scream "serious institution"? None of that has anything to do with academics or anything that contributes to society. It's just fun ways to get people involved.

And before somebody comes complaining that I brought up SMU, I only did so because they're local, in our same conference, and have successful giving days and donation events.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't see how but maybe that's just me. I look at SMU's giving day website and they had challenges as well which included a pre-giving day social media challenge, student organization challenge, Greek organization challenge, young aluminum challenge, a "paint the map red and blue" challenge that was to get at least one person in every state to donate, and so on. Does all of that scream "serious institution"? None of that has anything to do with academics or anything that contributes to society. It's just fun ways to get people involved.

And before somebody comes complaining that I brought up SMU, I only did so because they're local, in our same conference, and have successful giving days and donation events.

Perhaps you're right. I'll admit that I don't know anything about art, I just know what Iike.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I’ll never give a dime to NIL.  Granted, I’m a very low end donor so whatever I do won’t make much difference either way, but I’m not paying a kid to play ball for UNT.  I’m going to give up some of my salary to give to a college kid who ends up making more per year than I do?  Not gonna happen.

Now, if NIL ever becomes what it was designed to be, I might pay for an autograph or buy a specific players jersey if they get a cut of the profit.  

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Not bad so far

image.png.dfe4739789e8eff9316e8b623a46de17.png

Thankfully the average gift is much more than I was able to contribute, but the amount donated to athletics is underwhelming to say the least.  I may have to look between the sofa cushions and see if I can’t come up with a little bit more to donate.