Jalie Mitchell

This is a tough one for me. She is a great ambassador for the program, great person overall, and fantastic alum. She's got 4 years over .500 but barely. Had two good years beforehand. 

We gave Slinker 20 years despite 5 good years out of 21. 

Does she deserve another year or two? More and more universities are throwing good dollars behind their women's basketball programs and seeing amazing results. Is it time for us to change course? 

I say no despite what she represents to the university. 

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

This is a tough one for me. She is a great ambassador for the program, great person overall, and fantastic alum. She's got 4 years over .500 but barely. Had two good years beforehand. 

Does she deserve another year or two? More and more universities are throwing good dollars behind their women's basketball programs and seeing amazing results. Is it time for us to change course? 

I say no because of what she represents to the university. 

Good points.  I just don't think she will ever get us to the next level.  Something is missing with her and I just don't think it will ever be right.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

I say no because of what she represents to the university. 

She has a 60-77 conference record over 8 seasons and just had her worst year overall, IMO. It’s time for a change. She’s not bigger than the program. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely ridiculous to take her out when she did, Jalie 100% did this on purpose. She should be gone by Monday, if I’m Jared.

What a horrible way to go out as a coach, but I’ve given up on 2nd chances. Embarrassing! She can’t even teach her girls basic basketball knowledge!!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Absolutely ridiculous to take her out when she did, Jalie 100% did this on purpose. She should be gone by Monday, if I’m Jared.

What a horrible way to go out as a coach, but I’ve given up on 2nd chances. Embarrassing! She can’t even teach her girls basic basketball knowledge!!

Why would she have taken her best player out on purpose?

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Don’t think it would have mattered. Noble wasn’t playing well. The big loss today was McGruder fouling out. She played a strong game. Better than Noble today. 

• Upvote 3

I felt like she did the best she could.  A lot of these players were highly ranked but not hreat teammates.  I feel like Jalie is still learning what it takes to be a good coach.  She will never be great.  I realize that offends people but great coaches don’t need 8-9 years to find their way.  And absolutely no way we should hire Karen Aston.  Lady is a big fraud that can’t won at nUTSAck.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Don’t think it would have mattered. Noble wasn’t playing well. The big loss today was McGruder fouling out. She played a strong game. Better than Noble today. 

The team wasn't prepared for the end of the game. McGruder was saddled with 4 fouls and was the only person covering the UAB ballhandler and it was a "foul immediately" situation. Of course Kendall was was rightfully tentative because her team needed her shooting ability out there, but there is no way that she should have been the player forced to sacrifice that foul.

This was a costly oversight by Jalie. She lost her best outside shooter and 15 valuable seconds off the clock.

• Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1

3 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I felt like she did the best she could.  A lot of these players were highly ranked but not hreat teammates.  I feel like Jalie is still learning what it takes to be a good coach.  She will never be great.  I realize that offends people but great coaches don’t need 8-9 years to find their way.  And absolutely no way we should hire Karen Aston.  Lady is a big fraud that can’t won at nUTSAck.

Jalie is not going anywhere this year. She just earned an extension after last year's NIT season and she's a very popular North Texas Hall Of Fame icon on campus.

I do think that next year is is the year she needs to show what she can do. I think that she'll be up to the challenge.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

If i were the AD I would probably tend to pull the trigger this year. It was a horrible year, and even JMs best years it never really felt as if she was about to win the conference. She has made the semi-final twice, never advanced to the final, never been a top three seed either, i.e. never really contended for a regular season title either, never even won division (when that was a thing). Her teams were seeded outside the top 10 more often than in the top 4. Also, we may not know what JMs ceiling is, but even the best case scenario still doesn't feel like an NCAA bid in the next 2 years. Given how long she has been at this, that kind of is below the line, and it is probably time to throw the dice on somebody new.

But I get the hesitancy by some. it always seems like there is reason to believe that next season is gonna be better, and after two decent seasons, this season feels a bit like an aberration. However it could be just as likely that the two prior years were a bit of a longer outlier and she has just trouble developing players and team chemistry.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

A Benford move

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

In the same way that we moved on from Seth, I feel we must move on from Jalie at this point.

She's an RV hire with mediocre results and plenty of years to establish her program.  I wish things would have really clicked the past 2 years, but we're about to move into a conference with a much higher competition level.  Thank goodness that mediocre is no longer "good enough" at UNT.

Appreciate that she has been a really strong ambassador for her university and hope that she is able to land somewhere quickly! 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

Jalie is not going anywhere this year. She just earned an extension after last year's NIT season and she's a very popular North Texas Hall Of Fame icon on campus.

I do think that next year is is the year she needs to show what she can do. I think that she'll be up to the challenge.

I just don't see a way for her to improve that much in one year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Maybe the roster is young? Thanks to a recent NIT season, a young roster will afford the coach a chance to coach it up and hope they grow.

for the past 8 seasons she has had these same excuses because players transfer in and out consistently, so is it a culture issue that she can not keep players consistently. Add in every year the injury excuse. At some point it is the coaching not the excuses. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, untbowler said:

for the past 8 seasons she has had these same excuses because players transfer in and out consistently, so is it a culture issue that she can not keep players consistently. Add in every year the injury excuse. At some point it is the coaching not the excuses. 

I don't disagree. I think she’s been given a longer leash because she is one of ours.

• Upvote 3

On 3/8/2023 at 6:27 PM, BillySee58 said:

It sucks. Anyone else sitting at 111-127 after 8 years and I’d say get em out. Right answer is probably that the bar should be the same for her.

Tina Slinker's winning percentage after 8 years here was 35%. She stayed on for another 11 years. Jalie's percentage is at 47% after 8 seasons. Slinker's percentage for her entire 19 years was at 46%. Of course Slinker gets inducted into the UNT Hall of Fame. I agree that we need to make a change and I understand that leadership has changed; where 35% wouldn't be acceptable today. We desperately need some Hall of Fame standards in place for coaches and players. 

Is it asking too much for a coach to win 51% of their games? 

• Upvote 7