Fan support

slider1986

42 minutes ago, Screaching Eagle said:

Class of 2019 here.. my first impression of UNT football was when we were blown out 66-7 on homecoming in my first semester in the fall of 15’. We definitely have came a long ways since then and now I hold season tickets for football and basketball. With that said, I think it’s easy for us to sit here and say that winning is the only way to develop fan interest. Yes winning is great but that starts with good recruiting, and good recruiting starts with a passionate fan base that supports our student athletes no matter what. When recruits come on campus to watch a game and there’s absolutely no one in the stands, and the atmosphere sucks, who would want to come here. Eric and his staff can only do so much. The least we can do is show up rain or shine, win or lose and cheer on the mean green. Money is another way but not everyone can provide that obviously. 

We have such fair weather fans even though we’ve actually had some decent teams. Compared to many cusa schools we should be grateful. I would like nothing more than to start competing with some of the larger programs in the state just like everyone else in this thread, but it’s going to take some investment either with our attendance or money. 

We have made progress whether we think so or not and the American is the next stepping stone. I’m sure if we have start having sustained success in the American our fans will find something else to complain about like high ticket prices or the stadium being too crowded lol

I think if we get more than 20 in my section we may quit attending. That LaTech game in 2018 really cramped my style. Good thing we lost, got my section back. Been nice ever since. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think if we get more than 20 in my section we may quit attending. That LaTech game in 2018 really cramped my style. Good thing we lost, got my section back. Been nice ever since. 

I don't know how we do it, we are on the 50 yard line, about halfway up, and we've gone almost 5 years in a row with no one having seats next to us, and almost always an empty row, even during the "crowded" games.

I'd love for this trend to NOT continue!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

I don't know how we do it, we are on the 50 yard line, about halfway up, and we've gone almost 5 years in a row with no one having seats next to us, and almost always an empty row, even during the "crowded" games.

I'd love for this trend to NOT continue!

I like laying out on the seats. We sneak our umbrellas in, there's no one in the 50 rows behind us so we pop them open and lay over multiple seats. We then it into a little day at the beach. 

When is our stadium expansion happening again? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/1/2023 at 8:21 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Littrell lost this fanbase between the periods of flirting with the Kansas State job and getting throttled by a skeleton crew coaching staff in the N.M. Bowl in 2018.  

Rick

Actually, he not only lost the fanbase he lost the team but more importantly he sold his integrity for a few hundred thousand dollars. 
I hate to be a “I told you so kind of guy” but when he held everyone hostage, his employer, the team and the fans during that time period I boldly proclaimed from that day forward Littrell would never be successful here.  
But in all fairness to Littrell, our Administration was just as guilty for participating in that travesty. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Actually, he not only lost the fanbase he lost the team but more importantly he sold his integrity for a few hundred thousand dollars. 
I hate to be a “I told you so kind of guy” but when he held everyone hostage, his employer, the team and the fans during that time period I boldly proclaimed from that day forward Littrell would never be successful here.  
But in all fairness to Littrell, our Administration was just as guilty for participating in that travesty. 

I don’t recall or know the details of the whole SL to KSU fiasco but with that being said, I have no reason to doubt you… that if the issue was SL trying to get a few extra 100k out of the university, Wren was a fool. 

WB did a lot of great thinks, but if he allowed and let SL sucker himself (WB) and AD office into a longer deal at that time, it needs to be called out.

• Upvote 3

Let me just say that I believe the University has made some positive moves recently when it comes to the football program even though they might be too late. 

Inflation is going to seriously hurt many G5 programs when it comes to season ticket purchases and really just ticket sales in general. 

It’s not only going to take some really creative thinking and marketing ideas but it’s also going to take cutting ticket prices in half in order to put people in the stands.

Winning will most definitely help but inflation is now the elephant in the room. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I don’t recall or know the details of the whole SL to KSU fiasco but with that being said, I have no reason to doubt you… that if the issue was SL trying to get a few extra 100k out of the university, Wren was a fool. 

WB did a lot of great thinks, but if he allowed and let SL sucker himself (WB) and AD office into a longer deal at that time, it needs to be called out.

Of course it does. But collegiate athletic departments doing whatever the hell they want with 0 accountability is one of the great mysteries of the world. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, smoothfresh said:

A kid (or his/her parent)under the age of 18 should not have to pay a dime to attend any UNT sporting event.  

I grew up in Ft. Worth in 50's and 60's. During that time TCU had a "FROG CLUB" for kids that could sit in the end zone for 50 cents. I realize that was in the stone age for some of you but it seemed to be very popular. The Baptist Church spends a large portion of their revenue on youth programs with the mission to get the kids and their parents will follow. This has also proven to be very successful . My point is that it wouldn't cost anything to fill unused end zone seats with the establishment of an "EAGLE CLUB" . You could charge adults a nominal price for a ticket and let accompanied kids in for a buck. Just a thought.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, wardly said:

I grew up in Ft. Worth in 50's and 60's. During that time TCU had a "FROG CLUB" for kids that could sit in the end zone for 50 cents. I realize that was in the stone age for some of you but it seemed to be very popular. The Baptist Church spends a large portion of their revenue on youth programs with the mission to get the kids and their parents will follow. This has also proven to be very successful . My point is that it wouldn't cost anything to fill unused end zone seats with the establishment of an "EAGLE CLUB" . You could charge adults a nominal price for a ticket and let accompanied kids in for a buck. Just a thought.

Scrappy Club still exist?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Yes. $30-35 a kid?  My little one is/was invited to one of each volleyball/soccer/football/MBB/WBB game. Its been a good experience for the little guy. 

Great. Since my kids and grand kids are grown I wasn't aware of the Scrappy Club.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

Great. Since my kids and grand kids are grown I wasn't aware of the Scrappy Club.

Ha!  You can still try. The max age is 12, I think.

My 6 year old keeps throwing around the old, “I’m a bigger Mean Green fan because I’m in the Scrappy Squad and you’re not.”  I’m equal parts offended and proud. 😂

Edited by Glory to the Green
Typo
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/2/2023 at 12:13 PM, MeanGreenDan said:

It was 33° with a wind-chill in the twenties. But don't worry, no one is questioning your manhood, you get your tough guy fan badge for the day.

sarcastic drag race GIF by Robert E Blackmon

It was 33 degrees at kickoff.  By midnight it was in the high twenties.

I was there, my west coast "I hate anything below 55 degrees" better half was there with me.  We were wearing 5 layers, warm with being over served alcohol at the tailgate, and armed with lots of HotHands hand warmers.  We should call a spade a spade.  It was cold AF, everyone knew it would be cold AF, and it was a less than ideal experience weather wise.

I was honestly impressed with our turnout.  I think those b*tching about it probably weren't there, aren't ever at the stadium formerly known as Apogee during the season, and don't hold season tix to anything.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, rcade said:

Remember the 9th most attended bowl this year featured Tulane.  A G5 team, picked to be last in the AAC this year, who has worse average attendance than UNT in a city/region filled with fans and t-shirt fans of a purple and yellow tiger team an hour away in Baton Rouge.  I'm inspired that we can rally our fan base when I think of the Tulane story.

We know D1 attendance stats are padded, but we are still averaging 2k more fans in those padded stats than Tulane did for their near perfect season.  If it wasn't for the very well attended Southern Miss game, where there were Golden Eagles than Green Waves at the Tulane Stadium, their average attendance would probably be even lower.

And the Rose Bowl is the most amazing venue to watch a packed CFB game in America.  Yes its old, its hard to get into the seating area, concessions suck, parking sucks, its hard to get to in LA, you're packed like sardines at 90k fans, but damn its awesome.  Utah fans knew this was their last chance ever to win a Rose Bowl, and Penn State had only won one Rose Bowl prior, despite multiple times at the Bowl Game .  That place was destined to be packed to the gills.  If only Cam Rising hadn't gotten knocked out for the second year in a row.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:52 PM, Screaching Eagle said:

When recruits come on campus to watch a game and there’s absolutely no one in the stands, and the atmosphere sucks, who would want to come here. Eric and his staff can only do so much. The least we can do is show up rain or shine, win or lose and cheer on the mean green. Money is another way but not everyone can provide that obviously. 

This kid gets a good portion of it.  Our Game Day atmosphere sucks.  Its bad in Football and its bad in Basketball.  Many of our C-USA conference mates have average attendance too, but when you're at their stadiums on a Saturday there is never dead air.  UNT on the otherhand has moments where you could hear a pin drop in between plays.  Its a combination of poor MC'ing, poor advertising tactics in between plays, lack of variety in anything played over the speakers, or shown on the crappy video board,  a bad sound system, and an overall lack of professionalism in the way the game is produced.

I harp on this over an over on this message board.  I honestly think the BMD and Club Level types don't care because in between plays we can go inside and get a slice of cake or another buffet plate.  But the fans sitting in the bleachers look bored out of their skull during the games.  I often wonder if anyone responsible with our in-game experience has been to any of our conferencemates or other NFL/NBA professional sports games.  I'm guessing NO.  If they had, they would know that even with our $hitty video boards and archiac crappy speaker system, they could be doing more to keep energy up and people engaged in the game.

Mean Green fans hold themselves to a low standard and are more interested in skewering those who ask for more than wondering if there's room for improvement.  I have no idea why the fanbase and University is so self depreciating.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, smoothfresh said:

A kid (or his/her parent)under the age of 18 should not have to pay a dime to attend any UNT sporting event.  

You can use this idea tastefully, like a one-off promo, but it would be death if you implemented it permanently.  People would see it as an act of desperation, and perceive us as lower value.

On the other end of the spectrum, the side we are not yet on, you can up-charge beyond market value to create an illusion of higher value.  Again, we are not in a position to do that.  Not yet, anyways.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

You can use this idea tastefully, like a one-off promo, but it would be death if you implemented it permanently.  People would see it as an act of desperation, and perceive us as lower value.

On the other end of the spectrum, the side we are not yet on, you can up-charge beyond market value to create an illusion of higher value.  Again, we are not in a position to do that.  Not yet, anyways.

Like smuts tuition. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:07 PM, meangreenbob said:

Administration was just as guilty for participating in that travesty. 

No the Administration was just plain stupid giving him more years on his contract with 0 trophies and no significant bump in average home game attendance.  It is that bad decision along with 25+ years of bad decisions with very little consistency that impacts fan support more than anything else. The perception of alumni who are college football fans but not really Mean Green fans is that the Administration hasn't been fully committed to winning.  Seth staying a full year too long just reinforced that belief/perception.  So I don't blame Seth at all for trying to get the best employment situation his family.    They should have offered him and key members of his staff they mutually wanted to keep nice raises only with no extra years.  That way you could have let him walk at the end of 2021 by being successful or getting fired without financial hardship. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, let's devalue the product even more. Awesome idea

Yeah you’re right because those 20,000 empty seats at Apogee are getting a lot of value and those 5,000 empty seats at the Super Pit are to.   Giving kids under 18 free tickets doesn’t devalue anything 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1