QB Options

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am still intrigued by Rudder and think Head may have a little something as well.  Should be an interesting spring and fall.

Gunnell still here too.. all have talent,  if we don't get a guy I honestly don't think it's the end of the world. I think thw defense needs more help than qb

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

46 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

Strange choice, given Mordecai has at least 2 years left? 

I noticed a few situations were backup players are moving to P5s where they will probably not start, while others are going to G5s or FCS schools where they will most likely have a legitimate shot to start. Not sure the logic of going where you probably will not get playing time. I guess they have the self confidence that they can win the job.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I noticed a few situations were backup players are moving to P5s where they will probably not start, while others are going to G5s or FCS schools where they will most likely have a legitimate shot to start. Not sure the logic of going where you probably will not get playing time. I guess they have the self confidence that they can win the job.

That or they just want to hold a clipboard and say they “played” P5.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That or they just want to hold a clipboard and say they “played” P5.

This is definitely sometimes the case. Maybe not necessarily touting that they played P5, but definitely getting that P5 College experience.  

My daughter played softball and I know 1/2 dozen kids that willingly sat at larger programs just because the experience was different/better.    I realize softball and football are nowhere near the same but I do think it shows kids can have that mindset.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

This is definitely sometimes the case. Maybe not necessarily touting that they played P5, but definitely getting that P5 College experience.  

My daughter played softball and I know 1/2 dozen kids that willingly sat at larger programs just because the experience was different/better.    I realize softball and football are nowhere near the same but I do think it shows kids can have that mindset.  

Good point. But do you really want "clipboard" players on your team? If they are after the "experience", then I guess it good for them, might actually be better to have players a little less talented, but who want to complete and play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I think you are on to something. Bean stayed at KU and got a NIL as the backup.

Oh man... just because of this tweet and the dumb money spent on him advocating for it I'm running to their website and going to order them out of inventory.../s 

This will stop, or at least slow down, just about as soon as they realize it's a complete waste of money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Green with Envy said:

Maybe Braedyn is looking for a NIL deal with Master Lock(e).    They are based in Milwaukee.    😂😂

I guess being a backup at Wisconsin is a popular move, or at least more appealing than playing at North Texas!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I guess being a backup at Wisconsin is a popular move, or at least more appealing than playing at North Texas!

Who knows if we offered?

Who knows if we did, that he even considered?

Who knows that if he did consider, maybe WISC's bag was bigger?

Just because we liked him, and I did, doesn't mean the staff did.   They have eons more insight into these kids than we do.     In Morris we Trust?    🙂

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

Who knows if we offered?

Who knows if we did, that he even considered?

Who knows that if he did consider, maybe WISC's bag was bigger?

Just because we liked him, and I did, doesn't mean the staff did.   They have eons more insight into these kids than we do.     In Morris we Trust?    🙂

They must have liked him enough that the HC, QB coach, and Director of Recruiting were all following him on Twitter. 

Quick edit: both HC and QB following the other miss state QB as well. Who really knows. Seems weird to go to UW and be the 3rd stringer day one but oh well. Not my life lol. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2

Does NiL money become more important than a chance to start? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

You are talking HS, Mord has been an impressive college Qb!

I thought they had them listed, like the HS players, from top to bottom based on their ratings.  They don't, but here is how they rate:

Mordecai: Transfer .9100; HS .9092

Evers: Transfer .8900; HS .9312

Locke: HS .8935 (No transfer rating)

Either way, Wisconsin is now loaded at the QB position.  I didn't watch a ton of Cincy football under Fickell, but I would guess Evers most closely matches Desmond Ridder's skill set, Fickell's most successful QB at Cincy.  Should be interesting.

Back on topic, I would expect us to at least bring in one QB now and maybe one after spring ball.  My guess would be whoever is at the bottom of the depth chart at the end of spring will want to transfer out.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Could Mordeci (?) be a back up in his final year? I thought he had next level potential!!!

I doubt it. If I had to guess they intend for Mordecai to come in and start for one season while they see whether Locke or Evers is their quarterback of the future. One of those 2 will be back in the portal by week 4 of the 2024 season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1