Austin Aune entering the NFL Draft

Coach Andy Mac

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

All's fine as long as he doesn't hire an agent and is clear to return next season.

Many of you are probably rolling your eyes at this point. Please hear me out.

True, Aune is probably the least heralded record setting quarterback around. He had the dubious honor of taking the stage after one of our greatest performers ever, Mason Fine. He's been good, on rare times spectacular, with several forgetable performances mixed in. Yet every year we sign a new Wonderboy to replace him, and Aune has continually beaten them out for the job.

By announcing his intentions to turn pro, Aune's scholarship can be awarded to another player, so this benefits us. Aune may not have Elon Musk money but he's got to be very financially secure, and the price of a year's tuition is extremely cost efficient to pursue his favorite hobby while advancing his education. I say hobby because as a 30 year old, husband, father, post-graduate student, and successful business owner, Aune really needs football about as much as he needs a pet elephant.

During this upcoming season North Texas and Aune will continue to gain notoriety, as not only being the oldest current player in NCAA major football, but alo being the oldest player in FBS football history to ever score a touchdown (Colorado and Western Michigan have had older kickers). Then he can try to go pro after next season, even if he's played a reserve role. If he makes it onto an NFL roster, even just for a training camp, that just adds another chapter to his legacy.

These are the kind of stories that books, movies, and legends are based on, and it's one of ours creating that story.

Austin Aune - Football - University of North Texas Athletics

"The End Is Inevitable Maverick. Your kind Is Heading To Extinction." "Maybe So, Sir, But Not Today."

From what I understood back when he signed after being drafted, Part of his Yankees contract included them paying for college if he didn’t make it to majors after a set time, so I wouldn’t think we are using a scholarshiP on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Trivia time -- which QB sounds pretty good to you?

Candidate A -- 2406 yards passing   19 TD's  10 INT's

Candidate B -- 3309 yards passing  32 TD's  13 INT's

Candidate C -- 3306 yards passing  31 TD's  9 INT's

Candidate D -- 2642 yards passing  17 TD's  9 INT's

----------------------------------------------------------

OK, so most of you are probably going with candidates B & C and thinking candidates A & D are "weak sauce".  And, the envelope please ....  Candidate A is the great Will Levis from Kentucky, listed as a top 3 QB by both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay for the upcoming NFL draft.  Candidate D is Spencer Sanders from Oklahoma State, who is hitting the transfer portal and I know some of y'all are very excited to get this Denton Ryan grad back in his hometown.

Candidate B is Austin Aune and Candidate C is Tanner Mordecai from SMU.  What's my point?  Well, for starters, how many SMU fans have spent their entire fall doing insane rants on the message board almost each and every game about how their QB sucks?  Some of the posters on here seemed so upset with Aune I'm surprised they didn't threaten to jump from the top of the Eagle Wing.   Second of all, Sanders vs Aune?  11 passes less thrown by Sanders than Aune //  15 less TD's for Sanders // just a 0.9% difference in completion percentage between the 2.

So, why am I posting this?  Do I think Aune will play in the NFL? Probably not, although I hope I'm wrong.  I'm posting this because our guy finished 17th in the NCAA for yards thrown, 8TH in TD's thrown and some of y'all act like we had an Andrew McNulty / Josh Greer combo at QB this year.  Be thankful for what you have ... you may miss it when it's gone.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

58 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

Trivia time -- which QB sounds pretty good to you?

Candidate A -- 2406 yards passing   19 TD's  10 INT's

Candidate B -- 3309 yards passing  32 TD's  13 INT's

Candidate C -- 3306 yards passing  31 TD's  9 INT's

Candidate D -- 2642 yards passing  17 TD's  9 INT's

----------------------------------------------------------

OK, so most of you are probably going with candidates B & C and thinking candidates A & D are "weak sauce".  And, the envelope please ....  Candidate A is the great Will Levis from Kentucky, listed as a top 3 QB by both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay for the upcoming NFL draft.  Candidate D is Spencer Sanders from Oklahoma State, who is hitting the transfer portal and I know some of y'all are very excited to get this Denton Ryan grad back in his hometown.

Candidate B is Austin Aune and Candidate C is Tanner Mordecai from SMU.  What's my point?  Well, for starters, how many SMU fans have spent their entire fall doing insane rants on the message board almost each and every game about how their QB sucks?  Some of the posters on here seemed so upset with Aune I'm surprised they didn't threaten to jump from the top of the Eagle Wing.   Second of all, Sanders vs Aune?  11 passes less thrown by Sanders than Aune //  15 less TD's for Sanders // just a 0.9% difference in completion percentage between the 2.

So, why am I posting this?  Do I think Aune will play in the NFL? Probably not, although I hope I'm wrong.  I'm posting this because our guy finished 17th in the NCAA for yards thrown, 8TH in TD's thrown and some of y'all act like we had an Andrew McNulty / Josh Greer combo at QB this year.  Be thankful for what you have ... you may miss it when it's gone.

Part of the problem for him will be how weak our strength of schedule has been. How much more he would have been picked off by faster DBs, Corners and Safeties? 

• Downvote 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, jtm0097 said:

I hope he has a great workout for the scouts and someone signs him to a practice squad. I think the practice squad guys make like $11,000 a week. So that's over $200,000 a season. Best of luck!

Yes that is his ceiling in his first year.  But the practice squad for young players.  I don’t know how many week development time on the practice squad a 30 year old rookie will get.  I would guess not more than half the season.  If he isn’t definitively better than the 2nd QB they probably cut him.  He has 4 years max to bounce around practice squads.

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

QB's are pretty sure of themselves and they all believe they are the best.  That is why they are QB's.  I don't thing crazy fans would chase them away.

And we are far from crazy.  Friends and family that watched games with me that didn’t have a rooting interest in the game were unimpressed with Aune and more critical than me.  So the criticism is mild here considering our modest expectations.  Because I am not sure that another last second loss to UTSA gets Seth fired before the bowl.  I assured that minimally he begins the year as head coach in a lame duck year or gets 1 or 2 years tacked on the end of his contract if he won the bowl game.

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I wonder if he hired a consulting firm to advise him on his decision.

If so, I hope the University didn't hire the same firm.....................😎

Not sure now,  but the NFL Players Assoc used to provide evaluations for players considering entering the draft. I don't know if they still do.