My Pick To Save UNT Football (WREN PLEASE READ)

TheReal_jayD

I know it will probably never happen. Despite that, I do believe we have all come to the conclusion Seth is not the answer and will not be moving forward. So if you will, allow me to share some thoughts on this subject.

Let me first say, I really wish we would just rip the band-aid off and move on. We have missed the coaching staff building and development period, and pissed away most of the recruiting period up to this point in time.  When a change clearly needs to be made, there really is not a perfect time to do it.  Simply put, Wren needs to just go ahead and “old yeller” him. 

But there is one coach that I think could come in here and turn it around pretty quickly.

Chad Morris - Bio, Net Worth, Salary, Football, Coach, Contract, Team,  Fired, Record, Wife, Age, Facts, Wiki, Nationality, College, Family, Son,  News - Gossip Gist

Now before you disagree, hear me out. He does not get near enough credit for what he started building at SMU. Their roster was in a much worse spot than ours is today when he was initially hired. He is a coach with charisma and has proven he can build excitement around recruiting. He also can produce results - something we have lacked around here for a while. (I don't want to hear about recruiting rankings, we may have been high ranked but we weren't winning many battles).  Simply put, we can do much better and I think he could be a big part of that.

He is a also TXHSFB legend. I believe he would be one of the very few hires you could make that could go toe to toe with Jeff Traylor from day one when going after a TXHSFB kid. (Traylor worked under Morris at SMU and Arkansas). Chad would probably tell you going to Arkansas was a horrible move. Trying to turn a power run team into a spread team over night in the SEC wasn't going to happen quickly enough for the SEC. But even with poor results on the field he was still able to recruit against some of the big schools (Alabama and Georgia) and quite often win.

If he stayed at SMU I believe he would have accomplished similar to Dykes did if not better. Dykes gets all the credit but Morris laid the foundation and made SMU a destination again. It was not that before he arrived and it hadn't been for a while.

UNT needs someone like Chad Morris.  Someone who can gIve the fans hope and the top recruits a place they really to want to go. Not to mention, his daughter is already on the staff and does a great job.  

There is also a very good chance you could get his son (a 5 star QB) to make the 35 mins trip north to come play for his dad. Last time UNT hired a former SMU coach it worked out pretty damn well.

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I know it will probably never happen. Despite that, I do believe we have all come to the conclusion Seth is not the answer and will not be moving forward. So if you will, allow me to share some thoughts on this subject.

Let me first say, I really wish we would just rip the band-aid off and move on. We have missed the coaching staff building and development period, and pissed away most of the recruiting period up to this point in time.  When a change clearly needs to be made, there really is not a perfect time to do it.  Simply put, Wren needs to just go ahead and “old yeller” him. 

But there is one coach that I think could come in here and turn it around pretty quickly.

Chad Morris - Bio, Net Worth, Salary, Football, Coach, Contract, Team,  Fired, Record, Wife, Age, Facts, Wiki, Nationality, College, Family, Son,  News - Gossip Gist

Now before you disagree, hear me out. He does not get near enough credit for what he started building at SMU. Their roster was in a much worse spot than ours is today when he was initially hired. He is a coach with charisma and has proven he can build excitement around recruiting. He also can produce results - something we have lacked around here for a while. (I don't want to hear about recruiting rankings, we may have been high ranked but we weren't winning many battles).  Simply put, we can do much better and I think he could be a big part of that.

He is a also TXHSFB legend. I believe he would be one of the very few hires you could make that could go toe to toe with Jeff Traylor from day one when going after a TXHSFB kid. (Traylor worked under Morris at SMU and Arkansas). Chad would probably tell you going to Arkansas was a horrible move. Trying to turn a power run team into a spread team over night in the SEC wasn't going to happen quickly enough for the SEC. But even with poor results on the field he was still able to recruit against some of the big schools (Alabama and Georgia) and quite often win.

If he stayed at SMU I believe he would have accomplished similar to Dykes did if not better. Dykes gets all the credit but Morris laid the foundation and made SMU a destination again. It was not that before he arrived and it hadn't been for a while.

UNT needs someone like Chad Morris.  Someone who can gIve the fans hope and the top recruits a place they really to want to go. Not to mention, his daughter is already on the staff and does a great job.  

There is also a very good chance you could get his son (a 5 star QB) to make the 35 mins trip north to come play for his dad. Last time UNT hired a former SMU coach it worked out pretty damn well.

Where is the trash can 🗑?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He would be a solid replacement. He is a great recruiter and getting Chandler would be the cherry on the top!  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Morris might be a great recruiter but can not coach worth a shit at the college level. 

He sucked at UA after Jerry Jones got him hired and he was barely above .500 at SMU. 

If he has an athlete advantage and all the bells and whistles he wins, but once you put him on level playing field he can not beat his peers

Big no for Morris, he is no better than SL

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

With the Morris record I think you need to look at what he inherited at both schools. UA may have of been a worse situation because it was a run base offence with O qb talent. His recruiting classes were strong and that is who Pittman started with. Obviously a very strong recruiter and OC. It may sound petty but in this day and time (social media) you need a head coach with charisma.(McC) As we have seen happen at the P5 levels the number of assistants need to increase along with pay.

He would be at the top of my list.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

The biggest mistake with the title - What makes anyone think Wren gives a crap about the fans and UNT football being successful on the field? Notice I said on the field; Wren is all for upgrading facilities and overpaying the HC to make his work look nice on paper. We get to the AAC and instead of a bump and gone into self explosion mode. So please, spare me ANY talk about the great Wren.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The biggest mistake with the title - What makes anyone thing Wren gives a crap about the fans and UNT football being successful on the field? Notice I said on the field; Wren is all for upgrading facilities and overpaying the HC to make hos work look nice on paper. We get to the AAC and instead of a bump and gone into self explosion mode. So please, spare me ANY talk about the great Wren.

I know all of this latest news is disheartening and I also know from reading your posts that you are a good fan and supporter.  I do need to defense Wren here for two reasons.  One is Grant McCasland.  Wren took a major risk going after McCasland and putting $500K on the table when a lot of UNT people sawr that as risky.  Secondly, Wren got us into the AAC and that is a major accomplishment especially when you consider the schools who did not get in that were arguable more deserving.

That said, Wren seems to have a "don't rock the boat" management style and uses heavy delegation to his subordinates.  Nothing at all wrong with that but in this particular case with Littrell the status quo is not going to be acceptable.

• Upvote 4

Just now, meangreenfaninno said:

I know all of this latest news is disheartening and I also know from reading your posts that you are a good fan and supporter.  I do need to defense Wren here for two reasons.  One is Grant McCasland.  Wren took a major risk going after McCasland and putting $500K on the table when a lot of UNT people sawr that as risky.  Secondly, Wren got us into the AAC and that is a major accomplishment especially when you consider the schools who did not get in that were arguable more deserving.

That said, Wren seems to have a "don't rock the boat" management style and uses heavy delegation to his subordinates.  Nothing at all wrong with that but in this particular case with Littrell the status quo is not going to be acceptable.

I am at my boiling point after hearing about the "sleeping giant" that NT football should be for 30+ years. Maybe it time for us (Alums and fans) to stop taking shots are other schools for what they do and realize out Football program is a cluster F. I am happy with the way Grant and BB are playing but the truth is Football has been taken care of facility wise and we overpay the HC to become a total wreck. I hate to say, but I am starting to believe that our invite to the AAC has as much to do with location as anything else. I think the AAC wanted to make sure they would keep a DFW presence if SMU leaves. As far a Wren's "don't rock the boat" management style; why pay such a high salary for someone who is not willing to make the hard, and not always comfortable decisions? I can understand hands off when you have a program succeeding, but we have 3 straight years of failures. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1