Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...

Jonnyeagle

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t get where all this quarterback hate directed at Littrell is coming from. His tenure included 4 years of what many see as the best qb in UNT history, and one, ONE, year without him. That one year was a year without spring ball and a year where on the results of a PCR test you could lose any offensive weapon hours before any game. The results? He used 2 quarterbacks to try and replace our all time leading passer. One of the 2 returns as one of the highest rated quarterbacks (statistically) in CUSA and will be competing for the starting job with an ‘ACC transfer who is a former 4star.. The other is competing for the starting job at a Big12 school. I think maybe some of you are overreacting.

I think as I look back....Fine's senior year was a debacle for Littrell. After two 9 win seasons, how do you threaten to leave, get more money to stay, come back with your record breaking QB and completely crap the bed. Why did you not ride Mason Fine to better recruiting (especially O-Line). Fine got the crap beat out of him his senior year because Littrell Had Not upgraded the O Line. He also made really bad assistant hires in that time as well. So were those two 9 win seasons because of Littrell? or two seasons of extremely weak schedules. Remember even in those 2 seasons, when we did play a good team not only did we get beat, we got stomped.

Safe to say I soured on Littrell after that year and he hasn't turned it around since.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So Fine averaged more yards per game and Ramsey had a higher TD’s per game average.   No real big statistical edge here.

Sometimes I feel like our fan base trips over itself to point out how much better players (and coaches) from the “good ol’ days” were

The point being made that Ramsey and Fine numbers were close on average game basis.   The obvious point being that if Ramsey had played in has many games as Fine, his numbers are comparable. 

Sure history almost always has better performers because you are comparing a few years with almost an century. 

As far as a comparison of the qbs.   I think Fine was the better QB, not as apt to be intercepted and a better short game.  Ramsey had a better long ball and overall a better group of receivers.   Fine was not a running QB, but he was a lot more mobile than Ramsey. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think Mason is overrated but those two nine-win seasons are. 

Edit- Trying to get one of every vote, keep’em coming. 

Double edit- Only two more but someone thought I deserved a double Barney. Can’t really argue with that. 

Triple edit- Honestly I thought NT getting to a NYE6 game would be the moment I would say “ Now I can finally die in peace” (beating Purdue was pretty damn close) but this accomplishment might have to do. 
GMG! 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think as I look back....Fine's senior year was a debacle for Littrell. After two 9 win seasons, how do you threaten to leave, get more money to stay, come back with your record breaking QB and completely crap the bed. Why did you not ride Mason Fine to better recruiting (especially O-Line). Fine got the crap beat out of him his senior year because Littrell Had Not upgraded the O Line. He also made really bad assistant hires in that time as well. So were those two 9 win seasons because of Littrell? or two seasons of extremely weak schedules. Remember even in those 2 seasons, when we did play a good team not only did we get beat, we got stomped.

Safe to say I soured on Littrell after that year and he hasn't turned it around since.

I get your point but my post  was just about us having good quarterbacks during his tenure which we absolutely have had.

To your point, I think most of Mason’s wasted senior season was due to the loss of Harrell and bringing in that waste of a job title named Bodie. It was clear he was in over his head and Littrell couldn’t save us midway through the season. Last season we began to get back on track (offensively at least). I agree we get punched in the mouth way too often when we play solid CUSA or bowl teams (not to mention those boulevarding SOBs). I think those had more to do with our defense not getting stops which should change this season.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I get your point but my post  was just about us having good quarterbacks during his tenure which we absolutely have had.

To your point, I think most of Mason’s wasted senior season was due to the loss of Harrell and bringing in that waste of a job title named Bodie. It was clear he was in over his head and Littrell couldn’t save us midway through the season. Last season we began to get back on track (offensively at least). I agree we get punched in the mouth way too often when we play solid CUSA or bowl teams (not to mention those boulevarding SOBs). I think those had more to do with our defense not getting stops which should change this season.

I’m in man. Let’s see it. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

think most of Mason’s wasted senior season was due to the loss of Harrell and bringing in that waste of a job title named Bodie

So well stated.  Bodie Reeder was a terrible hire but good gracious Seth has had so damn many.  Reffett, Clint Bowen who wanted to kick the twins off the team, Langston and the list goes on into eternity.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

So well stated.  Bodie Reeder was a terrible hire but good gracious Seth has had so damn many.  Reffett, Clint Bowen who wanted to kick the twins off the team, Langston and the list goes on into eternity.

I really don’t think Reffet was a bad hire. He had a couple of solid (although unspectacular) seasons here before the wheels fell off in 2019. Bowen was a total head scratcher and turned out to be the disaster most anticipated. Reeder was not a “bad hire” in the same way that Bowen was. Reeder was a rising commodity and Seth gave him his shot. It didn’t work out and it seems their styles were not fully compatible (which SL should have vetted better) but I don’t really fault Seth for choosing Reeder based on his EWU offenses. Harrell and Filani were also young coaches that Seth gave a shot to, as was Cobbs. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. 
But Bowen was unforgivable. 🤮

• Upvote 4