Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

Who doesn't like a good chart?  Sweden has been in the news a lot lately and an interesting study as they have not practiced the same extreme social distancing that other developed nations have adopted.  The first chart shows total case deaths and the second one shows case deaths per 1M inhabitants.  These are on a logarithmic scale.  As we all know by now (hopefully), deaths are a lagging indicator, so this could change as we move out a few weeks or months, but with Sweden basically tracking right along with everyone else (with the exception of South Korea), it would seem that the virus is going to do what the virus wants to do regardless of what we do.  Sweden has not closed their country.  Will they regret this decision in a month or two or will they look like the smart ones?

So, what's different about South Korea?   Is it that, as a society, they are more accustomed to wearing facial coverings and it doesn't carry the stigma that they do in western societies?  Are they better at personal hygiene?  Better/more aggressive testing?  Their social distancing?  Herd immunity?  Drugs/treatment regimens?  Something else or a combination of all of the above?

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 10.31.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 10.32.21 AM.png

• Upvote 1

A movie messageboard I also frequent on has folks from all over (which is how i stay in the loop with international efforts to fight this), and here is what one guy from Sweden posted a few days ago.

I live in Sweden and here they have, until recently (they're starting to test more and more people), mainly tested those who are so ill that they require hospitalisation, and those working in the medical field. So there are no doubt a lot of people out here that have it without knowing, or know it but don't require any medical help.

And while it is true that we do not have a technical lock down, I constantly see people in media and social media act like we do not care and that it's business as usual. Which couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, schools are still open (high school and up have moved to distance learning), but unlike others who may have to be told to stay home, most of us do so willingly. And those that can work from home, do.

Social distancing is in our blood to begin with. Which I'm sure helps. We're told to stay home if we are sick, no matter what kind of sick that is. And to stay away from people over 70, who are told to avoid going out, even to the store. Public transport has more than halved and we're asked not to travel around the country. And in most cases, people seem to listen. Easter travel was down over 90% this year. I live in the second largest city in the country and it's a damn ghost town out compared to how it usually is. So yeah, we're not on lockdown, but it's definitely not business as usual here.

As for the numbers of positives/deaths this weekend, yes, they're down, but we always have dips during the weekends because hospitals don't report as often. Just like it was when we had numbers around 100 deaths in a day. That wasn't actually the case, but looked like that because of delayed numbers. The numbers have been pretty even lately, both in terms of deaths and new cases. Same with the intensive care patients. It could all change and we could be a complete mess tomorrow. But as of now, hospitals still have plenty of beds left and are handling it the best they can.

Some may think it's best to shut everything down, and maybe it is. Or maybe this is what they feels works best for us. Here they have implemented things that can be sustained for a long period of time.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

As a follow up, a few posts later he added.

A big issue we have had is that a lot of our hospice and retirement homes have been affected. There is also an issue with information not having reached areas with non-Swedish language citizens, mainly the Somali and Syrian community, in time, and these groups have so far been most affected it seems.

I don't really like to compare how countries do it, because no one knows yet really what works or doesn't work in the long run. And what works in some countries may not work as well in another. In terms of Norway for example, they might have had a completely different age group catching it, thus lowering the numbers because here, like everywhere else, it is mostly the very old and already frail that end up dying. Which again, is a big reason for our numbers.

Some countries may be doing great now on lockdown, but no telling what happens when they open up again. Swedes in general have a lot of trust in their government and health experts, so I think the majority of people trust that they know what is best for us. Obviously we'd all like to have lower numbers, but even countries on complete lockdown aren't doing as great, for a variety of different reasons. If they told us that our way of doing it wasn't working and that they wanted to implement a compete shut down, I'd trust that that is what is best for us and would be all for it. But so far they haven't seen a reason to do so, yet. We're not in a state of panic here. Hospitals are still managing and people are serious about keeping their distance. We're not out partying or going to the movies and acting like what happening out there isn't happening to us, like some make it seem. But we simply have a different approach to it, and one that we can manage for as long as needed.

But again, what works here might not work other places and what we're doing now might not be what the experts think is the right path by this time tomorrow. I mean I can look at other countries and perhaps not really agree with everything they do, but in the end I do not live there and they have their people and experts to listen to that'll do what they deem best for them, just like we have ones that do the same for us. I don't think either is right or wrong. The only wrong thing would be to act like there is no problem and change nothing, which seems to be what certain parts of the news media make it seem like we're doing, when again, that couldn't be further from the truth.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, CMJ said:

A movie messageboard I also frequent on has folks from all over (which is how i stay in the loop with international efforts to fight this), and here is what one guy from Sweden posted a few days ago.

Thanks for sharing.  It sounds like Swedes, in general, are practicing good, common sense on their own without being subjected to constant PSAs on how to wash your hands (or maybe they get those all the time anyway so they are better at it than most).

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

very cool to have a president openly calling for insurrection against state governments. very cool and fine. 

EV0OR3sXgAE6cOv.jpg

It would be so much better if he singled out police departments actions and said “they acted stupidly”.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

yeah for the life of me I can't figure out which of those is worse...

You used the word “insurrection” which is not a synonym for liberation. Yes the statement I quoted is worse. I hope the citizens of those states are liberated come November.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Looks like folks in L.A. have said F it!

Rick

We seem to be in a country full of people that not only want their freedoms/liberties (rightly so), but want to get away with as much as possible.  In the face of government recommendations, they test the limits.  See what they can get away with.  Couple that with all the misinformation being spread around, and it's a recipe for chaos.

Enough of that.  Swung by to share some new developments via Abbott:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article242082331.html

BUSINESSES REOPENING

Beginning Friday, April 24, retail businesses that are not deemed “essential” by the state, may allow for pickup or home delivery. They must abide by guidance issued by the Texas Department of State Health Services, which requires payments be done over the phone or online, that employees be screened and have their temperature taken before entering the premises, that they wear face masks, maintain 6-feet of separation and more.

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

You used the word “insurrection” which is not a synonym for liberation. 

It is in this case. Also, police do stupid things all the time. 

50 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

He didn’t.  

Do you often stretch the truth like a Nancy Pelosi face lift?

Rick

He did, and your attempts at humor are almost as terrible as mike huckabee's. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Speaking from my experience and my wife - there are more people out and about but nowhere near an average weekday yet.

Sweet!  You still have time to take advantage of less congestion on the roads and get to the store to stock up on toilet paper and whatnots.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Meaning.....”I can’t make you read and fabricate out of thin air or imagine he said it like I can”.

Other words...he didn’t say it..

Rick

Is there anything the guy could do you wouldn't agree with?

I feel like if he legalized weed and psychedelics nationwide and started legislature on easing bestiality punishments you guys would be like "it's about f'in time" 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I feel like if he legalized weed and psychedelics nationwide and started legislature on easing bestiality punishments you guys would be like "it's about f'in time" 

I'm old enough to remember when Rick absolutely lost his ish at Obama when literally one guy died from Ebola a few years back. I guess 30,000 people when the president has a R next to his name doesn't quite incite the same disappointment in his leaders. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

34 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Why do you worry?  If he’s been so bad for the country as 99% of the media and talking heads have done their absolute best to portray him to be he’ll be voted out of office, right?

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5