Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

20 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Anything but New Mexico against a G5, good lord

6 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Why?

I would love to see us play Utah State,Fresno State,BSU, or SDSU just to see how we match up. I believe all 4 have been in top 25 at one time or another this season.

9 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Why?

Playing another good team in an actual destination city our fans will travel to. I might be wrong, but I don’t feel like there would be a significant UNT contingent in New Mexico (I’d still go - but I bet a majority of fans pass). 

New Orleans Bowl last year was a blast again, outside of the Game outcome of course.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Lantern said:

Playing another good team in an actual destination city our fans will travel to. I might be wrong, but I don’t feel like there would be a significant UNT contingent in New Mexico (I’d still go - but I bet a majority of fans pass). 

New Orleans Bowl last year was a blast again, outside of the Game outcome of course.

What was everyone doing in New Orleans when not at the game? Honest question.

I was drinking. I can do that anywhere. For me destination city means I can get there lol.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

What was everyone doing in New Orleans when not at the game? Honest question.

I was drinking. I can do that anywhere. For me destination city means I can get there lol.

Eating like kings in one of the best food cities in America??? Haha. And drinking...

Seriously, I thought the UNT fan activities in New Orleans were pretty awesome last year.  The welcome party at the team hotel, the Pep Rally, Mean Green Fans Pub Crawl ect. were all awesome. 

Edited by Green Lantern

Just now, Green Lantern said:

Eating like kings in one of the best food cities in America??? Haha. And drinking...

Seriously, I thought the UNT fan activities in New Orleans we’re pretty awesome last year.  The welcome party at the team hotel, the Pep Rally, Mean Green Fans Pub Crawl ect. were all awesome. 

All that could be done in New Mexico. Eating is not as good and different though.

Im not against the New Orleans bowl I'm just curious to why so many seem to be against New Mexico.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, RiseUNT said:

All that could be done in New Mexico. Eating is not as good and different though.

Im not against the New Orleans bowl I'm just curious to why so many seem to be against New Mexico.

I agree with you that our fans “should” want to and be willing to travel to reasonable destinations. Like I said, I personally would go, and try and drag my family and friends with me. I just don’t get the sense that our fan base in general would be excited for Albuquerque. It’s not a “sexy” destination in most people’s minds.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think I am. Honestly don’t really want to find out. Really hoping we end up in Ft Worth (in a trade scenario), Shreveport or Dallas. All of those are guaranteed to have huge UNT turnout.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Green Lantern said:

I agree with you that our fans “should” want to and be willing to travel to reasonable destinations. Like I said, I personally would go, and try and drag my family and friends with me. I just don’t get the sense that our fan base in general would be excited for Albuquerque. It’s not a “sexy” destination in most people’s minds.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think I am. Honestly don’t really want to find out. Really hoping we end up in Ft Worth (in a trade scenario), Shreveport or Dallas. All of those are guaranteed to have huge UNT turnout.

With us having maybe the weakest schedule in fbs and the way we have been playing I don't want a p5. Va Tech just blew out Marshall. Last year FSU blew out SoMiss. Just because a p5 is 6-6 doesn't mean we are the better team right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Albuquerque, while it surely has its charm, is in no way a destination city, nor is it local/easily accessible compared to the TX/LA destinations. 

But way more than that, it's just the least desirable spot by a mile IMHO. It's on the very first day of the bowl schedule - in fact, it's literally the very first bowl game. Historically, that's the least desirable lowest rung to be on. We did that mess last year. I love NOLA as a city, but it was a bit of a buzzkill to see other CUSA teams we beat playing later on the bowl slate in games that felt like they had more gravitas. You never want to be the opening act. 

The more practice time and time together this team gets the better..... NM is the bottom of the barrel in that area. Also, NM has a considerably lower payout than Shreveport or Dallas. 

Not to mention what it does to fans.... NM kicks off in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. That's insane. It's before anyone is off for the holidays, it makes travel plans challenging, and if it is indeed a G5 opponent, it puts  us in a virtual no win situation like it did with Troy last year. Yeah, 10 wins is awesome and I want that really badly, but I honestly think we've got as good or better shot beating a BYU or Miami than we do a App St. or Nevada. Which one gets us attention and headlines?

It's just hard for me to see how the folks at the Indy (my first choice), the Artist Formerly Known as HoD, or Frisco wouldn't want NT in the game at this point. We're far and away their best option attendance wise with LaTech gone to Hawaii. 

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Albuquerque, while it surely has its charm, is in no way a destination city, nor is it local/easily accessible compared to the TX/LA destinations. 

But way more than that, it's just the least desirable spot by a mile IMHO. It's on the very first day of the bowl schedule - in fact, it's literally the very first bowl game. Historically, that's the least desirable lowest rung to be on. We did that mess last year. I love NOLA as a city, but it was a bit of a buzzkill to see other CUSA teams we beat playing later on the bowl slate in games that felt like they had more gravitas. You never want to be the opening act. 

The more practice time and time together this team gets the better..... NM is the bottom of the barrel in that area. Also, NM has a considerably lower payout than Shreveport or Dallas. 

Not to mention what it does to fans.... NM kicks off in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. That's insane. It's before anyone is off for the holidays, it makes travel plans challenging, and if it is indeed a G5 opponent, it puts  us in a virtual no win situation like it did with Troy last year. Yeah, 10 wins is awesome and I want that really badly, but I honestly think we've got as good or better shot beating a BYU or Miami than we do a App St. or Nevada. Which one gets us attention and headlines?

It's just hard for me to see how the folks at the Indy (my first choice), the Artist Formerly Known as HoD, or Frisco wouldn't want NT in the game at this point. We're far and away their best option attendance wise with LaTech gone to Hawaii. 

My question was why over New Orleans vs a sun belt team.

Same day. Mwc vs sun belt. 

14 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

No to both. We have a team that can get hot quickly and meddling P5 teams uninspired to play can and have folded quickly in bowl games. I want to see a match up where we are without doubt underdogs...a la vs BYU or Miami. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No to both. We have a team that can get hot quickly and meddling P5 teams uninspired to play can and have folded quickly in bowl games. I want to see a match up where we are without doubt underdogs...a la vs BYU or Miami. 

BYU isn't p5 and that's our problem. We got hot quick then burnout quick. 

P5 teams might not have better starters than us but they have depth. And we might get one of their dlinemen drafted!

• Downvote 2

Just now, RiseUNT said:

P5 teams might not have better starters than us but they have depth. And we might get one of their dlinemen drafted!

BYU has P5 talent and I think they are one of the de facto "P5" teams that 2 or 3 P5 conferences consider a P5 team for scheduling purposes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Board/103994/Contents/ACC-BYU-now-counts-as-a-P5-team-71096125

I think the Pac has also taken this on as well. Pretty sure of it actually. 

17 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Well, if that’s the question, then it’s because there’s no significant difference in opponents from SBC, CUSA, MAC and most of the MWC and AAC. We’re all “have nots” in FBS. I’d rather bowl in places where our fans will show out in good numbers and have a great time than base it on some insignificant difference in “perception”. Nationally no one really cares about these matchups. They’re for the players and the bowl team’s fans.  Hence, in response to your original question, NO Bowl > New Mexico Bowl almost every time. (Maybe exception if Boise St was NM Bowl opponent).

Of course if we can get one of the local bowls or Indy vs P5 or BYU, those scenarios would be preferred. No to Frisco. They couldn’t handle our ticket demand.

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Board/103994/Contents/ACC-BYU-now-counts-as-a-P5-team-71096125

I think the Pac has also taken this on as well. Pretty sure of it actually. 

Well P5 and G5 don't even exist. But Power 5 literally means from ACC, BIG10, BIG12, PAC12, or SEC. BYU and Norte Dame are not P5.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Well, if that’s the question, then it’s because there’s no significant difference in opponents from SBC, CUSA, MAC and most of the MWC and AAC. We’re all “have nots” in FBS. I’d rather bowl in places where our fans will show out in good numbers and have a great time than base it on some insignificant difference in “perception”. Nationally no one really cares about these matchups. They’re for the players and the bowl team’s fans.  Hence, in response to your original question, NO Bowl > New Mexico Bowl almost every time. (Maybe exception if Boise St was NM Bowl opponent).

Of course if we can get one of the local bowls or Indy vs P5 or BYU, those scenarios would be preferred. No to Frisco. They couldn’t handle our ticket demand.

Well at this time last year everyone was crying we were playing a sun belt team. So at least on this board there is a difference between MWC and Sunbelt. And as far as MAC I think they are the worst conference and I never want to play them.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RiseUNT said:

Well P5 and G5 don't even exist. But Power 5 literally means from ACC, BIG10, BIG12, PAC12, or SEC. BYU and Norte Dame are not P5.

Technically, you are right...they are not. But again, they are have P5 talent and are considered by 30 or so P5 teams as a 'P5' opponent type team in terms of scheduling. They certainly have the name recognition, following, and money as many P5's. Either way, point is, I'd happily rather be matched up vs BYU/Miami than any FunBelt or MWC team. 

1 minute ago, RiseUNT said:

Well at this time last year everyone was crying we were playing a sun belt team. So at least on this board there is a difference between MWC and Sunbelt. And as far as MAC I think they are the worst conference and I never want to play them.

We and the Belt are the worst. MAC, in terms of data, is a better conference as CUSA. And I as well want nothing to do with the MAC because it will probably be vs Buffalo and they would push our nose up into our brain. In terms of recognition, attention, support...It'd be more of the same as playing Troy last year. Like I said, I would prefer a BYU or Miami type team for obvious reasons in a regional bowl. As a far and low secondary option I'd take a good MWC team (preferably the loser of the MWC championship game) in New Mexico.