SB NATION/Underdog Dynasty: Apogee Welcomes The Word

Talon90

I dunno about that score.   I think the writer obviously grasps an understanding of UNT's offense, but this game will be about running the ball, not Fine bombing the poor Cardinals into oblivion.

Now, we have a very crowded stable of RBs, each one wanting to prove to be the best one, so maybe it could get ugly.

• Upvote 1

Nice writeup but the score prediction is skewed...and screwed. First, I don't think we would let the game get that lopsided. Second, weather is going to dictate a lower score than that.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno about that score.   I think the writer obviously grasps an understanding of UNT's offense, but this game will be about running the ball, not Fine bombing the poor Cardinals into oblivion.

Now, we have a very crowded stable of RBs, each one wanting to prove to be the best one, so maybe it could get ugly.

NT is not going to stop throwing the ball and running their game plan.   Fine is going to play until he gets big numbers. 

I expect a lot of those short running plays against SMU will go for a lot more against ICW.  

Coaches are well aware of the value of running up big numbers in the current environment.   Having a QB and offense that puts up big stats is good for the visibility of the program.   Fine is becoming a serious candidate for a lot of honors.

New Mexico put over 60 on this team.   The first team will be on the beach way before that happens.  

ICW maybe a tougher game than most fans think.  However, if NT has another high intensity game the score could get out of hand.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT is not going to stop throwing the ball and running their game plan.   Fine is going to play until he gets big numbers. 

I expect a lot of those short running plays against SMU will go for a lot more against ICW.  

Coaches are well aware of the value of running up big numbers in the current environment.   Having a QB and offense that puts up big stats is good for the visibility of the program.   Fine is becoming a serious candidate for a lot of honors.

New Mexico put over 60 on this team.   The first team will be on the beach way before that happens.  

ICW maybe a tougher game than most fans think.  However, if NT has another high intensity game the score could get out of hand.  

The run game VS SMU was troubling.  I know Dykes was stacking the box & blitzing a ton keeping the run game in check, but we need to be able to run out of that anyway.  NT needs to work out some kinks there.  A game against a FCS opponent provides the opportunity to do just that.   
If we continue to just Air Raid & don't take time to get the running game going, we're not going to get another chance to work on it until we play UTEP.

• Upvote 1

These kind of games make me nervous and that's because of a school North Texas once played called Cal Poly-Pomona.

The week after North Texas beat the University of Tennessee Volunteers up in Knoxville we had a bye.  The week after the bye we had a home game against Cal Poly-Pomona.  

Many laughed at their name wondering how (and why) would we schedule that California school.  We students were wondering how much we'd run up the score in that game, too.  Fact is, we barely escaped with our lives barely beating a school called Cal Poly-Pomona who took us all the way to the end of the 4'th quarter before a near sellout at old  (as Bill Mercer would call it) "venerable"  Fouts Field.   

Beat Incarnate Word! 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Interesting question of whether we allow the score to run up (assuming we can) to get Fine more recognition.  You would think the Coaches would say "no" because it's not seen as being sportsmanlike, but if big stats for Fine bring more attention and excitement to the program, will they go for it?

IMO, field conditions may dictate that we play a more conservative game resulting in a lower potential score. I shudder to think what could happen to Fine's stats if he is trying to throw a wet ball in the rain and receivers are trying to catch said ball. Runners holding onto the ball will be difficult enough. Forget the stats, just earn a win and move on. JMHO.

• Upvote 1