CUSA Bowl Change for This Season

James329

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

This works for me....I hate spending money in Dallas since they stole 1.2 billion dollars from there police and fire personnel. I say to hell with Dallas, I'm going to Ft Worth!

The Fire/Police pension has made several questionable investments/decisions, so the problem is not solely based within the city itself.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yea it's a possible CUSA problem, if the Big10/12 can provide enough teams.. but they haven't filled it so it doesn't matter about the match up when it's so low on the order for them to fill. 

January 1, 2011 Texas Tech 45 Northwestern 38 40,121 notes
January 2, 2012 Houston 30 Penn State 14 46,817 notes
January 1, 2013 Oklahoma State 58 Purdue 14 48,313 notes
January 1, 2014 North Texas 36 UNLV 14 38,380 notes
December 26, 2014 Louisiana Tech 35 Illinois 18 31,297 notes
December 26, 2015 Washington 44 Southern Miss 31 20,229 notes
December 27, 2016 Army 38 North Texas 31 39,117

Actually if you look at the bowl's history, the only team that's really gotten mediocre "name" opponents is North Texas (probably perceived that way on UNLV and Army's end about us as well).  As a mater of fact, I believe that if it hadn't been for the Penn St. fiasco, we'd have ended up with a Big 10 opponent in 2014 like La Tech got in the subsequent HOD bowl.  

This is a step down trade opponent wise for the conference.  Noting will convince me otherwise.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

P5 v P5 games tend to do better in drawing TV audience and sponsor dollars.

Games involving G5 are driven much more by ticket sales.

Maximizing revenue means it will always be hard to hold on to a bowl that a P5 is committed to and hard to hold on to the P5 opponent whenever a P5 league isn't wild about the bowl they are working with.

Long past time for the G5 to enter into an agreement that each conference will have X ties to a bowl alliance and contract as a group with a group of bowls and then get the matchups that make the better financial sense. If that means one year NOLA is AAC vs. MWC and St Pete is CUSA vs. MAC so be it, just flush out the bowl tie system as it exists because it creates weird inefficiencies for the G5 that hurt ticket sales and TV interest.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

The Fire/Police pension has made several questionable investments/decisions, so the problem is not solely based within the city itself.

We'll see when the state and federal lawsuits filed against CoD and pension board work thru the courts.

20 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

P5 v P5 games tend to do better in drawing TV audience and sponsor dollars.

Games involving G5 are driven much more by ticket sales.

Maximizing revenue means it will always be hard to hold on to a bowl that a P5 is committed to and hard to hold on to the P5 opponent whenever a P5 league isn't wild about the bowl they are working with.

Long past time for the G5 to enter into an agreement that each conference will have X ties to a bowl alliance and contract as a group with a group of bowls and then get the matchups that make the better financial sense. If that means one year NOLA is AAC vs. MWC and St Pete is CUSA vs. MAC so be it, just flush out the bowl tie system as it exists because it creates weird inefficiencies for the G5 that hurt ticket sales and TV interest.

I agree with this, but I also have absolutely no problem with the G5s creating their own playoff system, either. The top 8 G5s, not including the one who gets to go to the BCS Bowl Game, all play in a playoff system using their bowl tie-ins for regional quarterfinal games. For example, the Armed Forces Bowl, the NM Bowl, the Motor City Bowl, and the St. Pete Bowl host the closest teams to their cities in an opening playoff game. Then the semifinals are in Las Vegas for the teams out West and in New Orleans for the teams in the East. The play the championship game in a differnet setting each year.

Give the G5s a chance to do what every other level of college football allows for their teams--a chance to win a national championship.

• Downvote 4

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

We'll see when the state and federal lawsuits filed against CoD and pension board work thru the courts.

Sorry for the OT reply but something had to be done about the potential insolvency otherwise the City of Dallas would be crippled trying to fund this retirement fund. The City already is struggling to keep its police officers on the force by paying a competitive salary and Dallas has some awful roads needing desperate work to be performed.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I agree with this, but I also have absolutely no problem with the G5s creating their own playoff system, either. The top 8 G5s, not including the one who gets to go to the BCS Bowl Game, all play in a playoff system using their bowl tie-ins for regional quarterfinal games. For example, the Armed Forces Bowl, the NM Bowl, the Motor City Bowl, and the St. Pete Bowl host the closest teams to their cities in an opening playoff game. Then the semifinals are in Las Vegas for the teams out West and in New Orleans for the teams in the East. The play the championship game in a differnet setting each year.

Give the G5s a chance to do what every other level of college football allows for their teams--a chance to win a national championship.

I'll pass on that. That's what FCS is for.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

I'll pass on that. That's what FCS is for.

So, you like telling your players that they will never be national champions while playing at this level? But thanks for making us more money because we can whore ourselves out better this way than if we were at an FCS school!!

You can have it both ways. No G5 school will ever get the chance at being in the playoff. Zero chance. Their P5 media/coaches/voters will make sure an undefeated Boise State, who is the closest we have to being a P5 acceptable name in the G5s, will never get that chance.

I think it would be a lot of fun to see a CUSA team playing a MWC team, an AAC team playing a MAC team, etc...for something more the a bowl victory in a game that only matters to the fans of those schools.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I also have absolutely no problem with the G5s creating their own playoff system,

There are a couple of big problems with this. First of all, it would eliminate millions of dollars coming to the G5 conferences as revenue sharing to make up for the slim chance any G5 has of ever getting into the playoff. If the G5s have their own playoff, they don't need P5 money. Problem is a G5 playoff would only generate a fraction of the money the current system does. 

Second issue is you actually trigger the separation between P5 and G5 conferences. While many fans of G5 schools say it's inevitable, it's not like it's right around the corner. The commissioners of the SEC, PAC 16 and ACC have all said a full separation isn't yet in anyone's plans. And there is a reason for that - the bottom 2/3 of the P5 conferences depend on playing G5 schools to become bowl eligible. If the P5 schools in the future choose to pull away, then set up a playoff. But the G5 shouldn't chase them - and their millions of dollars - away! 

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

There are a couple of big problems with this. First of all, it would eliminate millions of dollars coming to the G5 conferences as revenue sharing to make up for the slim chance any G5 has of ever getting into the playoff. If the G5s have their own playoff, they don't need P5 money. Problem is a G5 playoff would only generate a fraction of the money the current system does. 

Second issue is you actually trigger the separation between P5 and G5 conferences. While many fans of G5 schools say it's inevitable, it's not like it's right around the corner. The commissioners of the SEC, PAC 16 and ACC have all said a full separation isn't yet in anyone's plans. And there is a reason for that - the bottom 2/3 of the P5 conferences depend on playing G5 schools to become bowl eligible. If the P5 schools in the future choose to pull away, then set up a playoff. But the G5 shouldn't chase them - and their millions of dollars - away! 

You know, the FCS plays a playoff system while still getting money from games with FBS schools. Same with Division II and FCS opponents.

All I've suggested is that the top G5 team still get their money award and the prestige of being in the January 1st bowl game with the worst P5 team that still gets an invite and has to play the G5. The best of therest of the G5s, instead of playing in meaningless, pissant bowl games against each other, could try something crazy like playing each other in a three week playoff and calling it their playoff to be the G5 National champions. It's not like there would be a lot of competition, TV wise in December for these games. Nobody watches bowl games on TV unless it matches up names that people want to watch, aka P5s.

For God's sake, try something different than just being the cheap trick for the Power Teams and their money. RV liked us being over a barrel, pants down--so do the majority of G5 ADs because it's easy money. But the fans and the teams are the ones who get the most hurt in all of this. We are the only 60 schools in America that don't ever play for a national championship, but completely sell that out so they can get easy money from being the vehicle that gets 6-6 and 7-5 power teams bowling.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, GangGreen said:

This has been the case for quite some time.

In recent years the MAC has had no P5 bowl tie, and the Sun Belt never has. Even though our media deal was gone and our conference hasn't been stellar in the field, we still had a P5 bowl tie. This news officially places C-USA at the lowest levels of the FBS. Very sad.

Edited by Side Show Joe