We Need a North Texas Athletics Network....

Despite what C-USA says, they don't have a real media deal outside of beIN Sports. That is a real problem. I have always been reluctant to embrace online streaming as a TV broadcast, but I could be changing my mind. The Big Sky Conference has launched their own network on Pluto TV,... and It is a really nice setup. It would be great if North Texas and other C-USA universities could take back our 3rd tier media rights. I'd much rather watch our streaming games on this free platform (adds are played at intervals throughout the broadcast, just like television), versus giving money to ESPN3 (The Deuce). For those that have never heard of Pluto TV, it works just like satellite. You can change between channels and everything.

How great it would be to watch all of the Mean Green sports on something very close to real TV, 24 hours a day.

Check it out.

http://pluto.tv/

Also, here is a thread about the Big Sky's network, from the CSNBBS board.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-821964.html

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Despite what C-USA says, they don't have a real media deal outside of beIN Sports. That is a real problem. I have always been reluctant to embrace online streaming as a TV broadcast, but I could be changing my mind. The Big Sky Conference has launched their own network on Pluto TV,... and It is a really nice setup. It would be great if North Texas and other C-USA universities could take back our 3rd tier media rights. I'd much rather watch our streaming games on this free platform (adds are played at intervals throughout the broadcast, just like television), versus giving money to ESPN3 (The Deuce). For those that have never heard of Pluto TV, it works just like satellite. You can change between channels and everything.

How great it would be to watch all of the Mean Green sports on something very close to real TV, 24 hours a day.

Check it out.

C-USA would be smart to pair with any and every possible streaming thing available. People have talked about how the C-USA livestream isn't great, so this could be a way to get other schools to improve there TV game, or if not then they only stream/show schools with quality production. 

UNT had a game last year stream on the CampusInsiders App (app on your phone, laptop, even xbox as well) and it was great.  Along with the game on twitter as well.  Yes if it is free, it sucks that we aren't getting any $ from the deal but it helps get us in front of people. I have no idea how often recruits are out visiting schools but getting the conferences games on free apps like campusinsiders or pluto.tv would be nice. It allows for possible recruits to see and hear about the campus (in a limited fashion), and lets kids that are out of state as well a chance to see us. 

• Upvote 2

This would be great if it could ever be done.  Could be used as a great recruiting tool for families outside of Texas. I've been a huge advocate of NT making recruiting outside the state of Texas a top priority. NT is an after thought to most people in this state. Hit up families in other states and pitch the ease to watch their child on almost any decent online streaming service. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/18/2017 at 9:53 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Check it out.

I've got a cousin who for years was the head remote guy at ESPN:  http://events.sportsvideo.org/csvs2011/2011/03/18/steve-cozort-senior-director-of-remote-and-studio-operations-espn/  For awhile back in the late 90s, he was based in Dallas.  He's got his own production company these days, but it's based out of Charlotte, NC.

I could hit him up and ask him what would be the realistic cost of producing your own stuff.  Although, my guess is, our Radio/TV program has enough people in the industry to know what it is already.  With as many media savvy grads as we've had throughout the years, you'd think we'd be leading this thing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I've got a cousin who for years was the head remote guy at ESPN:  http://events.sportsvideo.org/csvs2011/2011/03/18/steve-cozort-senior-director-of-remote-and-studio-operations-espn/  For awhile back in the late 90s, he was based in Dallas.  He's got his own production company these days, but it's based out of Charlotte, NC.

I could hit him up and ask him what would be the realistic cost of producing your own stuff.  Although, my guess is, our Radio/TV program has enough people in the industry to know what it is already.  With as many media savvy grads as we've had throughout the years, you'd think we'd be leading this thing. 

Media savvy grads who don't give a rats ass. We've got thousands of Craig Millers out there. Not just radio front men, behind the scenes guys/gals as well.....

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Media savvy grads who don't give a rats ass. We've got thousands of Craig Millers out there. Not just radio front men, behind the scenes guys/gals as well.....

Hey now, I'd love it if they would talk to me about something like that. But I'm not going to pay for it myself! 

• Upvote 2

Because I don't know all of the contractual details that we have with the C-USA, can someone explain to me why we (and other schools similarly situated, I suppose) can't produce our own home games and have a deal with a local station to broadcast?  Am I mistaken to say/believe that is what we do with radio (games and coaches shows)?

I assume we give up a certain amount of media rights to the conference.  I also understand a local station would expect us to sell enough ad time during the game to make it worth their while.  Is this something we've tried in the past?

I ask this because, for the G5s mostly, it seems like producing your own content tailored to your very specific audience seems to be the "future now here" in many industries.  Can a media or media/ad purchasing expert here give us the inside baseball on this type of thing?

The conference broadcasts are essentially the network that will continue to evolve into a more advanced status.  The individual schools broadcasts range from unwatchable to passable.  No money here, but at least it is exposure.  The conference should mandate higher standards and fine those institutions that don't comply.