Breaking!!! UNT land commit

7 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Happy with the pickup but how many O-Line do we need? Seems like we've got a metric ton of them.

We will lose 4 after the 2017/2018 season with 6 more that will be seniors during the following season when many of this year's recruits will red shirt.  The current roster lists 22, and I think 4 of those are walk-ons.

Redfearn also plays DT, so I would be interested to know if we were recruiting him as an OL or a DL.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We will lose 4 after the 2017/2018 season with 6 more that will be seniors during the following season when many of this year's recruits will red shirt.  The current roster lists 22, and I think 4 of those are walk-ons.

Redfearn also plays DT, so I would be interested to know if we were recruiting him as an OL or a DL.

OLinemen is a position you can really never have too many of. All it takes is an injury or two and suddenly you're shifting everyone around.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Happy with the pickup but how many O-Line do we need? Seems like we've got a metric ton of them.

Building depth and getting the right kids for this scheme is critical on the OL... After last years adjustment period and seeing how bad it was, adding as many as possible is a need. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Building depth and getting the right kids for this scheme is critical on the OL... After last years adjustment period and seeing how bad it was, adding as many as possible is a need. 

Quit calling it scheme. A 4-star 6'3" 300lb Guard wouldn't fit our "scheme"? 

Jw. 

Congrats, Jordan. Welcome Aboard! 

I have seen him play several times. Good player. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Jw. 

Not saying that at all about the difference in a 4* and 2*... Using the term scheme is the same as using offense, style, etc. Getting kids that can fit this style of play is critical. 

Getting kids that have played in spread and passing offenses is an asset. They also use similar terms and do similar things, compared to a kid that we get that would come from a triple-option or wishbone. 

We have seen first-hand having kids that are not used/built for this scheme not have success (look at last years results). This offense is completely different than what Mac ran. Getting kids that have been in it and that can develop into it are critical. 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Jw. 

Congrats, Jordan. Welcome Aboard! 

I have seen him play several times. Good player. 

I'll disagree, Stars or offers? Also let's drop that to 3 we won't be landing any 4 stars anytime soon.  If he has offers from navy, army, temple, Georgia tech, and New Mexico but he's rated a 3 star he may not fit here depending on his pass blocking ability/technique.  Our OL have to have able to move well in space with the stretch scheme we run yet still be able to pass pro.  Anywho we can agree to disagree but there absolutely is something to be said about recruiting to your scheme.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I'll disagree, Stars or offers? Also let's drop that to 3 we won't be landing any 4 stars anytime soon.  If he has offers from navy, army, temple, Georgia tech, and New Mexico but he's rated a 3 star he may not fit here depending on his pass blocking ability/technique.  Our OL have to have able to move well in space with the stretch scheme we run yet still be able to pass pro.  Anywho we can agree to disagree but there absolutely is something to be said about recruiting to your scheme.

You're probably better than I am at diagnosing tape but to counter that point didn't Mose come from trinity? Who notoriously is a power run team? I would argue that Parish is the only recruit we got that fits an air raid scheme. Most of the other OL recruits came from run heavy teams. Not trying to argue with you because I agree, which makes it all the more worrisome about the newest guys

• Upvote 1

Just now, MGNation92 said:

You're probably better than I am at diagnosing tape but to counter that point didn't Mose come from trinity? Who notoriously is a power run team? I would argue that Parish is the only recruit we got that fits an air raid scheme. Most of the other OL recruits came from run heavy teams. Not trying to argue with you because I agree, which makes it all the more worrisome about the newest guys

Yes, but with Mose he came from a very very heavy Power scheme at Trinity where he pulled probably 50% of the time which means he can definitely run your stretch or Outside Zone schemes.  Manase will have to work on Pass Pro technique which he'll gets hours on end of doing in practice and film work talking hand placement etc.  That's where you get kids into camp watch them pass pro etc if their run blocking peaks your interest you get them into camp and check hip bend and ankle flexibility (their stance) then watch their pass pro technique and work on correcting it.  If they don't change a dang thing all camp then move to next one, if they improve you keep an eye on them.  I've never coached OL so I'm probably under qualified to answer this, these are things college coaches who come through to look at players we have say when they like/don't like OL.  @BillySee58 can probably give more insight to  this position than I ever could.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2017 at 8:51 PM, MGNation92 said:

It will be interesting this OL in a year or 2.

Parish I hope can be special. The staff was very high on Mose from what @BeyondTheGreen said.  Hoping Newman can be something special as well. Would be nice to have a center of the OL that can just pave 2 or 3 yards.. Newman, Red, and Mose pushing the center of the line would be nice to see. But we need to bring in more tackles unless the staff is moving some of these kids out from guard. 

13 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

Looks like an excellent pick-up to me. Lost some interest due to an injury last year, was evaluated in camps by UNT staff and is active in 5 sports. To me that says the athleticism is there.

When a guy who is 305 pounds can play 5 sports at a 4A level, then I think that is a very good sign for where he will go once he focuses only on football. Add the limited film and then to me this guy has all the diamond in the rough sings you could want.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, outoftown said:

When a guy who is 305 pounds can play 5 sports at a 4A level, then I think that is a very good sign for where he will go once he focuses only on football. Add the limited film and then to me this guy has all the diamond in the rough sings you could want.

I mean does golf count? That was to get out of school, but I only joke I'm pumped about this kid he can play

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Marty said:

From Aubrey? I want SSP's evaluation of him.

His family (extended) have some $$. I grew up playing ball against one of his cousins.