The American declares itself a "Power 6"

AAC has good hoops but they make less than the Big East in raw dollars before splitting it and since Big East has fewer teams, they really are a good bit back of Big East.

Basketball has no analogy to the P5 in football. In football it means a guaranteed invite and guaranteed bigger share of the bucks.

From this morning, maybe the AAC is trying to reinforce their standing amongst college football media that they belong at the top level of college football. I've been saying this for a while now about this upcoming schism.

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd was recently on XM this morning with some interesting thoughts upon conference realignment. He believes that there will be a divisional split where the current P5, AAC, and MW conferences all form the new division one (everyone else gets regulated down and forms their own mid major playoff).

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

From this morning, maybe the AAC is trying to reinforce their standing amongst college football media that they belong at the top level of college football. I've been saying this for a while now about this upcoming schism.

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd was recently on XM this morning with some interesting thoughts upon conference realignment. He believes that there will be a divisional split where the current P5, AAC, and MW conferences all form the new division one (everyone else gets regulated down and forms their own mid major playoff).

No one has ever put forward a convincing economic or legal case for this happening.

Assuming a complete break from the NCAA and 100% of all turnbacks to Division I going to that group, is less than $3 million per school.

Taking CUSA, Sun Belt, and MAC out of the CFP distribution works out less than $500,000 per school, realistically less since CFP makes payments to full scholarship FCS leagues.

The entire value of a COMPLETE break which is unlikely is less than $3.5 million per school.

If there were an anti-trust challenge that were successful the risk per school would be roughly $52.5 million.

People really have no grasp on the dollars involved and where they come from. Ticket sales, donations, and sponsorships are the REAL money followed by TV money. None of which is impacted by Division I as a group having 350+ members or FBS having 128 or whatever it is now.

NCAA and CFP money is the only impact and the CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt share is walking around money for Texas and Michigan.

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

The entire value of a COMPLETE break which is unlikely is less than $3.5 million per school.

If there were an anti-trust challenge that were successful the risk per school would be roughly $52.5 million.

This is the reason I have always said the P? is never going to cut away from the rest of FBS.  They can already get everything they want from the NCAA and keep shielded from lawsuits.  It makes no sense to risk all of that for a little bit of money.  What makes sense is to just continue to trim dead weight into the G? bucket.  Which is why I think P5 - > P4 sooner or later.

Not to mention that dropping off the lesser schools probably risks blowing their "amateur" status. They do not want to be employers who are liable for long term employee health results.

SEC commissioner about a week ago on the super division.

Sankey, who has been serving as SEC commissioner since June 2015, also shot down any talk of a potential "super division" of Power 5 schools separate from the rest of the NCAA's Division I programs in football.

"Whenever I'm asked that question I say you know I'm only asked that question and have the conversation in media gathering like this, seriously, it's not an agenda item at any meeting," Sankey said. "We've committed now, what are three years in to a new governing structure that was predicated on the "big tent" model of Division I where there are now 351 Division I members? They're all very different but it is working and I think it can continue to work."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/greg_sankey_addresses_speculat.html

• Upvote 1

SO what'd I miss? I was out getting my North Texas Mean Green 2016-2017 College Football National Championship Ring engraved, since I was the starting QB/S/KR/PR/PK for our record-shattering team this past season.

That's how you do delusions, folks. Delude bigly. Power 6? WTF is that? That's setting your crazy-bar way too low.

UNT - Power 1 Football Program since 10000 BC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...