SO much love

Why Tom Crean would come here:

Leicester City had 5000 to 1 odds to win the Premier League this season, and if Tom Crean believes in miracles, then North Texas is the ideal fit for him.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/8/14835616/tom-crean-coaching-search-indiana-missouri-lsu-nc-state-georgetown

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That article should scream into the deaf ears of every 23, Lifer, MBA, Caw Caw, and the other AD and administration apologists on this board. You propagate a perception of UNT being a bunch of losers. It's a national perception. It's a deep cultural problem throughout UNT and it's ever dwindling fan base.

Note the mention that Benford was allowed to coach out his contract? Note the "it's North Texas" comment? Can you jackwagons get that everyone outside your little echo chamber world points and laughs at something you think is doing just fine and dandy? 

This is why UNT athletics fails, and I'm convinced now more than ever that nothing will ever change. 

It's just a tough sell here, when anyone who knows anything about our history of apathy (or worse) towards athletics, then sees that winning doesn't matter first, but cost does. Usually, your candidates tend to be guys looking for a retirement check (McCarney) or guys looking for a first head coaching job at this level (everyone but McCarney).

Its pretty simple. The university placed its value on lots of students and on music/fine arts. That will never change--ever. It's been this way for multiple decades. The community doesn't want it to be any different. 

Ill always follow our teams because it's my alma mater, but I've come to realize in the last few years that I want to win more than the university does at football or basketball. And that's ok. My degree from here is still very valuable and will always matter to me. But I've got three smaller kids who already follow other programs because they know North Texas is really bad at sports.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It's just a tough sell here, when anyone who knows anything about our history of apathy (or worse) towards athletics, then sees that winning doesn't matter first, but cost does. Usually, your candidates tend to be guys looking for a retirement check (McCarney) or guys looking for a first head coaching job at this level (everyone but McCarney).

Its pretty simple. The university placed its value on lots of students and on music/fine arts. That will never change--ever. It's been this way for multiple decades. The community doesn't want it to be any different. 

Ill always follow our teams because it's my alma mater, but I've come to realize in the last few years that I want to win more than the university does at football or basketball. And that's ok. My degree from here is still very valuable and will always matter to me. But I've got three smaller kids who already follow other programs because they know North Texas is really bad at sports.

A great 30/30 about UNT would be something titled along the lines of "Killing A Program: UNT Basketball's Demise and the Culture Behind It." 

Of course, it would need to be at least a 2 parter. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

32 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That article should scream into the deaf ears of every 23, Lifer, MBA, Caw Caw, and the other AD and administration apologists on this board. You propagate a perception of UNT being a bunch of losers. It's a national perception. It's a deep cultural problem throughout UNT and it's ever dwindling fan base.

Note the mention that Benford was allowed to coach out his contract? Note the "it's North Texas" comment? Can you jackwagons get that everyone outside your little echo chamber world points and laughs at something you think is doing just fine and dandy? 

This is why UNT athletics fails, and I'm convinced now more than ever that nothing will ever change. 

You do realize they never mentioned Benford was allowed to coach out his contract.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

You are correct. But they did said he coached 5 years. 

Well, sure but that isn't the same at all.  For all those readers know Benford had a decent four years before his fifth and still had several years on his contract left.  Nothing gives the indication that he coached out his last year.

Look, I'm mostly on your side, but you go over the top a lot and see things that aren't there.  This was one of them.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Well, sure but that isn't the same at all.  For all those readers know Benford had a decent four years before his fifth and still had several years on his contract left.  Nothing gives the indication that he coached out his last year.

Look, I'm mostly on your side, but you go over the top a lot and see things that aren't there.  This was one of them.

I think every college fan knows that standard contract lengths are 4 or 5 years. So they would be left with the impression that Benford got extended a year without a winning season or that he was allowed to coach out his contract without a winning season. And college basketball fans are the ones reading this article.

But you are right. It doesn't actually say it in the article. 

Notice how the article points out he was allowed to coach 5 years without producing a winning season? Then says "It's North Texas?"  

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

No it doesn't.  The "It's North Texas" bit is nowhere near the 5 years part.

That was an Indiana Hoosiers blog (one of the top 8 or so most prestigious programs in college basketball history).  They'd say "It's (insert school)"...about just about any non power league school sans Wichita State and Gonzaga.

• Upvote 3

Why is it WB fault that TB coached the 5th year??? RV gave TB the 5th year, are you saying that you wanted WB to come in and just fire TB before ever playing a game? Thats great, fire him right before the season with coaches already locked in at their jobs/ schools, along with adding a 3rd buyout even if for 1 year to the debt/ penny pinching for the AD Budget this year (that again WB did not get any say in). 

We can ask and fight to why they didn't fire TB mid-season, but it shows a few different things:

1- TB replacements options were either as bad or even worse than him,

2- The firing of TB would have lead to possibly an increase in game performance, but it has been brought up that the stats show it still wouldn't have had a major impact in the season in terms of W/Ls. 

3- If TB was fired, then it just added another hoop that WB has to deal with in terms of evaluating the MBB/WBB programs,

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

sorry but wake me up when we stop getting butt-hurt by an article written by a guy who graduated high school in 2015

You mean like the guys that would be sophomores on our teams now? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Yet you bash the new AD and athletic department when they've only been here for a few months.  If they are wrong for being apologists then you're equally wrong for your criticism.  

I bash the new AD for lack of action. There have been zero major moves made since his arrival. He chose not to rock the boat by keeping around a guy that openly and aggressively campaigned for his job. He chose not to rock the boat by letting Benford coach out the season. This is concerning that he will ALWAYS choose not to rock the boat. Because, so far, we have seen nothing else from him. 

Zero.

Zip.

Zilch.

That deserves criticism. If you don't want to end up with RVII, that is. 

Remember: It is North Texas...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

29 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I bash the new AD for lack of action. There have been zero major moves made since his arrival. He chose not to rock the boat by keeping around a guy that openly and aggressively campaigned for his job. He chose not to rock the boat by letting Benford coach out the season. This is concerning that he will ALWAYS choose not to rock the boat. Because, so far, we have seen nothing else from him. 

Zero.

Zip.

Zilch.

You just don't comprehend much. WB came out and CLEARLY stated why he didn't let TB go mid-season. There were numerous factors that he weighed and he stuck by his plan. It's obvious you didn't like his decision or timeline. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

You just don't comprehend much. WB came out and CLEARLY stated why he didn't let TB go mid-season. There were numerous factors that he weighed and he stuck by his plan. It's obvious you didn't like his decision or timeline. 

One of the mods is playing CBS and editing my post. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Zero.

Zip.

Zilch.

No major moves ... except replacing the ENTIRE leadership of the AD office with his own hires.  

Keeping a guy who wanted his job ... Or perhaps he has the internal confidence and support of the administration to handle that "guy" and perhaps that "guy" is also mature enough to still do his job and work well for his new boss.

Letting Benford coach out the season ... he plainly stated several good reasons for doing so which is really self evident.  Even if you disagree with that you have to agree that Baker has a much more experience in leading an AD office and making decisions like this than you.  He's also much closer to the situation than anyone on this board.  Plus, if rumors are correct it seems he's been working on Benford's replacement for awhile.  

Because, so far, we have seen nothing else from him - additional support staff added

Zero.  Track/soccer field.

Zip.  IPF

Zilch.  From most reports the Ticket Office is functioning much better.  Plus from reports recruits visiting practice are being handled much better.

• Upvote 7