MGB: Sunday night recruiting tidbit

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, Green92 said:

Until we can prove that we can consistently put a good product on the field, we're going to lag behind in recruiting. There's not a snake oil salesman in the world that can change it. Be grateful for the kids that do take a chance and hope SL can out coach the competition.  

Funny, because UTSA put almost the exact same product on the field and is kicking everyone's ass.

This is another tired excuse. It comes down to hiring assistants who can sell your program to young athletes. UTSA obviously did that, doesn't look like UNT did.

As to the bolded, THE most tired line used by UNT fans the last 30 some odd Februaries. It's complete BS. Strop hoping and start expecting and holding people accountable when those expectations aren't met.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

10 minutes ago, Green92 said:

Until we can prove that we can consistently put a good product on the field, we're going to lag behind in recruiting. There's not a snake oil salesman in the world that can change it. 

Bull.  UTSA finished the season one game ahead of us.  Yet they are absolutely destroying us in recruiting.  A one game difference does not account for a 17-3 lead in 3-star recruits.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Four Conference championships didn't help. 

I think those four conference championships, if they had been coupled with excellent administrative leadership, could have been the spark that turned us into a Boise St type of program. 

Instead, you all read the consultants report, that is not the level of leadership we got.   When your AD refuses to schedule home and homes with P5s because that would  require being creative to not get swamped by visiting fans, when his employees tell the consultants that that they felt lost and leaderless, when the AD ignores fan complaints year after year about simple things like customer service and ticket sales, when that AD can't even heal a personal rift with your most successful coach, and on on... that is how you squander four conference championships.  

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

HOD Bowl's didn't help.

You mean the HoD Bowl we won that resulted in LOWER Mean Green Club membership the next year?  I never found anyone who could come close to defending that happening. 

I'll be interested in who we sign on Wednesday.  It won't matter though what I think about our signees.  Like nearly everyone on this board I am ignorant about college athletics.  None of us will know whether this class was successful for three, four, or even five years.  At that time it won't matter whether a kid has 4 stars or 5 offers from UT, Alabama, & the ilk.   In the meantime I'll be rooting for each and everyone of the kids that sign with my school.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, GTWT said:

I'll be interested in who we sign on Wednesday.  It won't matter though what I think about our signees.  Like nearly everyone on this board I am ignorant about college athletics.  None of us will know whether this class was successful for three, four, or even five years.  At that time it won't matter whether a kid has 4 stars or 5 offers from UT, Alabama, & the ilk.   In the meantime I'll be rooting for each and everyone of the kids that sign with my school.

Really, because we have had mostly crap classes that have led to mostly crap football teams. I guess you can't see the correlation.

But, by all means, rah rah rah sis boom bah.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 12

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I wonder if it really is this bad?   

Or, are we being beaten-down with Benford-ball and taking it out on poor Seth & Co?  

I mean, it's clearly not going well, but is fearful, downtrodden, sarcastic reaction warranted?

Billy compared it to McCarney's 2012 class. That's bad. I mean, unless there is a series of miracles in the next 3 days.

I think basketball just exasperates the feeling of "can't UNT just get one thing right one time?!?! Ever?!?!"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

10 minutes ago, GTWT said:

THIS!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

34 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think those four conference championships, if they had been coupled with excellent administrative leadership, could have been the spark that turned us into a Boise St type of program. 

Instead, you all read the consultants report, that is not the level of leadership we got.   When your AD refuses to schedule home and homes with P5s because that would  require being creative to not get swamped by visiting fans, when his employees tell the consultants that that they felt lost and leaderless, when the AD ignores fan complaints year after year about simple things like customer service and ticket sales, when that AD can't even heal a personal rift with your most successful coach, and on on... that is how you squander four conference championships.  

You mean the HoD Bowl we won that resulted in LOWER Mean Green Club membership the next year?  I never found anyone who could come close to defending that happening. 

Glad Kuehne pulled back the curtain on what we all thought was going on only to have it confirmed with yet ANOTHER kick to the nards. It was a tough pill to swallow and even tougher knowing what we could have been(the sleeping giant tried to get out of bed in the early oughts bu RV just kept adding blankets to the bed). But hey we do have a whole case full of "Coming In Under Budget" trophies thanks to RV. I know I am proud of those. 

1imqmi.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Really, because we have had mostly crap classes that have led to mostly crap football teams. I guess you can't see the correlation.

But, by all means, rah rah rah sis boom bah.

@GTWT, the Grinch was loosely patterned after 90....  He will get his heart as soon as UNT wins The C in the next year or 2....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4