MGB: Sunday night recruiting tidbit

Brett Vito

UTSA doing what UNT should be able to, but never does.

This is a serious curb stomping and makes me wonder how competitive UNT will be with UTSA in future games.

7 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Well the only things we can tell ourselves is that rankings don't matter, and Littrell is recruiting players to fit his system. On paper, we are losing many battles. 

Which will lead to losing seasons. All we can really do is hope for some HUGE surprises on signing day.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

This is a serious curb stomping and makes me wonder how competitive UNT will be with UTSA in future games.

Future games?  We weren't that competitive in San Antonio last season.  NutsaK was the superior team.  This year's recruiting will help them continue "curb stomping" us.

We recruit at the FCS level.  We run athletics at the FCS level.  Maybe that's where we should be.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7

10 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Future games?  We weren't that competitive in San Antonio last season.  NutsaK was the superior team.  This year's recruiting will help them continue "curb stomping" us.

We recruit at the FCS level.  We run athletics at the FCS level.  Maybe that's where we should be.

If this class ends up 11th ranked, and with the problems in BBall right now and the refusal to fix it, that would bring up the typical question at UNT: did we make the right hire(s)? Still too early to declare it, but that question will gain traction.

And it should.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Which will lead to losing seasons. All we can really do is hope for some HUGE surprises on signing day.

So your saying we could have saved $100k+ a year hiring coaches who apparently can't recruit a high level for CUSA standards, sorry but right now UTSA has made a much better hire with Wilson, who has even less to work with in regards to facilities.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

It's time to panic. We are losing everyone. Setting up for a very very poor class and I'm pretty mad about it! Why are we not able to get these guys!? Even with a surprise huge signing it will be a poor overall class at this point. 

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That is abundantly clear at this point. Both were hired at the exact same time taking over down programs. 

Right now, Wilson is wearing Littrell's ass out in recruiting, beating Littrell in every single recruiting battle.

EVERY SINGLE ONE. 

Couldn't agree more! I don't know the difference in recruiting but on the field they beat us and in recruiting they are waxing us and the rest of the conference! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Uh ugh I would just like to say WTF! Did you see the offer list on those players! Insane!

That's what could happen here with the correct hire. Still 3 days left, but without more than one huge surprise, Ill seriously doubt if we made that hire. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I feel like the theme of this class is diamond in the rough. The majority of the commits were not recruited very heavily by other programs. The staff will have to develop these guys to fit their system.  I am never going to bash a kid that wants to play for UNT. I do like that we have kids committed to us from big  Texas high schools. Having success on the 5A/6A level in Texas will translate to the FBS level.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Going by ranking this recruiting class is below the average of where McCarney recruited. if SL loses Bradley and can't add similar quality, then his leish needs to be shortened. It would mean that he has to be able to regularly get to bowls and get into the conference championship conversation with essentially the kind of roster he has, because as of now, it does not look like he is a good enough salesman capable of upgrading it with higher ranked players.Essentially it would mean that what he is in season two is what he will likely be in season 4 of his contract.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Going by ranking this recruiting class is below the average of where McCarney recruited. if SL loses Bradley and can't add similar quality, then his leish needs to be shortened. It would mean that he has to be able to regularly get to bowls and get into the conference championship conversation with essentially the kind of roster he has, because as of now, it does not look like he is a good enough salesman capable of upgrading it with higher ranked players.

He should consider massive staff changes if this is the best class the current one can put together. 

Still 3 days left, but this is Sun Belt era recruiting right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

He should consider massive staff changes if this is the best class the current one can put together. 

Still 3 days left, but this is Sun Belt era recruiting right now.

Considering Seth seems more like Xs and Os, doesn't look like he hired enough recruiters to surround himself with. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Considering Seth seems more like Xs and Os, doesn't look like he hired enough recruiters to surround himself with. 

Exactly this is the problem I think too. There are a lot of good Xs and Os coaches, but you do need some proven recruiters. That is also why I was not too happy with the Biagi for Perry hire. Perry was the only semi proven salesman on the staff, Biagi may be a good salesman, but he isn't proven. If SL was convinced Biagi was a good salesman, he should have gotten rid of someone who hasn't proven to be in his first year here. As it stands he will have to evaluate the coaches he has and how they did in recruiting and one or two should be let go at the end of next season and replaced with guys who are good salesreps. And if he doesn't get there himself, its WBs job to tell him so at their evaluation under four eyes.

I expected this staff to get middle of the road ranking and then outperform their C-USA recruiting ranking on the field by 3-4 spots. I still expect that0 they outperform their recruiting ranking by those 3-4 spots, but now that will only lead UNT to mediocrity .

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

Bingo.  Let me add some mayonnaise to Tasty's already well made sandwich here.   Whether you believe in them or not, there are data points which help to make logical assessments about recruiting classes.  These have been and continue to be driven off of other school offers.  If a kid has full scholarship offers from Texas, OU and A&M, he most likely is going to be ranked higher in the data than a kid who only has D II offers.  What we have seen historically here  (Dickey, Dodge, Mac etc) are lower data points.  Next what we see is a rationalization of the data.  "Stars don't matter", "We got the guys we wanted" etc etc... What I think Tasty is saying here is that with improved facilities and conference, and a history of following post recruiting results on the field, there is less of a willingness to buy into the standard rationalizations.