WBAP's Steve Lamb Saying He's Hearing its NT vs Navy In Armed Forces Bowl

FirefightnRick

Mixed feelings about that.  After seeing what Navy did to SMU (who beat us), that could be an extreme embarrassment.   Great bowl for sure, but I don't know if getting beat 73-10 in a great bowl is a positive or negative?  

Could we agree to a running clock?  Or maybe 8 minute quarters?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Mixed feelings about that.  After seeing what Navy did to SMU (who beat us), that could be an extreme embarrassment.   Great bowl for sure, but I don't know if getting beat 73-10 in a great bowl is a positive or negative?  

Well.....we've evidently already saddled that bronc.  Too late to worry about it now.  

If you want to cheat and go ahead and hang on with both hands, please do.  Oh..and you might want to wear a mouth guard too.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I've heard Army, I've heard Navy, and UT.

Army is a more likely win, but it's a rematch and that doesn't really rank as something bowls want to put together. UT is a long shot win, but a far more likely one than Navy. As far as in-state reputation goes, beating UT would help a great deal, especially with people who aren't as familiar with football as we might be.

And Navy? I dread that matchup. They're far stronger than UT. They strolled over SMU.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Though we don't match up all that well with Navy this will be phenominal if it happens.  

Best bowl in Texas, maybe this region next to Sugar and N.O.

I was wrong in thinking how this APR thing would be received.

Kudos to the WBAP morning crew for giving us props for our academic position to qualify for a bowl game.

Rick

Home run. Promoting our APR would be awesome for the image of the school!

Would be a strong crowd!.Would Ft Worth turn green?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Home run. Promoting our APR would be awesome for the image of the school!

Would be a strong crowd!.Would Ft Worth turn green?

Probably not corporately but no reason why it couldn't from everyone else.  

The University of North Texas better matches the identity of the people of Fort Worth than tcu or any other area or bowl competitor by a long ways.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Maybe we have all who've been hurt back minus those kicked off the team.  We'd need some turnovers to stay in game (like all the ones we won this season).

Again, Navy would want to play a ranked team which I hope is part of our future under SL.

Agreed. One step at a time though.

• Upvote 1

While I see the exposure would be great, I don't see how the AFB is supposed to be one of the best bowl games in texas? Maybe I'm just not a fan of playin bowl games in other CFB teams stadiums. Oh well. I literally live 2 blocks from the stadium. AFTER PARTY AT MY PLACE 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, Mickey said:

At least we have seen this offense recently, although Navy has better athletes. Welcome the challenge.

GO MEAN GREEN!

2 minutes ago, PRAK said:

While I see the exposure would be great, I don't see how the AFB is supposed to be one of the best bowl games in texas? Maybe I'm just not a fan of playin bowl games in other CFB teams stadiums. Oh well. I literally live 2 blocks from the stadium. AFTER PARTY AT MY PLACE 

Do you not like the Rose Bowl?

Did you dislike the Orange Bowl and Fiesta Bowls before they went to NFL stadiums?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

HoD was a huge turnout because it is easy for our not usually interested alums to drive from their homes surrounding Dallas.  They don't make the drive to Denton, honestly not sure how many of them would make the drive to Ft Worth.  

But the odds of finding all the contents of your car intact afterwards are greatly higher.  So there's that.

But seriously..we've brought 3k-5K to the AC on down years for regular season games.  .  A bowl game should be much better.  We would bring tons more than the MUTS did three years ago.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

But seriously..we've brought 3k-5K to the AC on down years for regular season games.  .  A bowl game should be much better.  We would bring tons more than the MUTS did three years ago.

I would assume we would bring 20-25k, which is a good turnout but short of the 35k we took to HoD.

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

HoD was a huge turnout because it is easy for our not usually interested alums to drive from their homes surrounding Dallas.  They don't make the drive to Denton, honestly not sure how many of them would make the drive to Ft Worth.  

I dont know Cerebus, the games on a Friday at 3:30ish so it would give a lot of people the excuse to miss work. That and it's an bowl game that draws more interests than your fair weather UNT fans. I doubt we match our attendance from HOD but I bet it's close. But this is all hypothetical 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1