Back to football

GrandGreen

Saturday's game feels like one of the most important games in the last three years.  On the surface, nothing much is at stake in this game.   An early season match up between a top of the pack MTSU and a bottom dweller but improving NT will not excite the masses.  

No doubt, MTSU has the more talented, more experienced team led by a much more veteran successful coaching staff.  They have star power and have just came off a big come-from-behind win.  However, this is sitting up as perfect ambush game.   MTSU has never played particularly well in Denton.  There is a big tenacity for them to look forward to their next game when they have their big rivalry contest against WKU.  NT has improved every week in their overall game and should have a great home field advantage.  

A big upset may be in the works, but I wouldn't bet on it.   I am however, looking forward to a game that I really think NT will play hard and has a chance of winning.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4

I think the two game home stand is huge.

Before the season:  I would have been happy if either game was semi competitive and we didn't get blown out.

Now: I expect us to be competitive in both.  Football is a game played with a strangely shaped ball that bounces in unaccountable ways.  If some of those bounces go our way we just might walk away with a win in either.   We probably won't, but it's great to look forward to game day again instead of dreading it. 

How I would grade the results:

Blow Outs:  Things are not well.

Competitive Losses:  About as well as we could have hoped for in the preseason.

Split the Games: Holy smokes we actually can start talking about a bowl game without being involuntarily committed.  

Win Both:  I died, this is heaven.  I didn't think I had acted that good in life, but I'll take it.  

With this type of offense, you stand a chance in a game where you might be outmatched.  Refs like to throw the Pass Interference Flags.  That will help out a ton.  Especially if our boys come back and fight for the ball.  I am super excited rocked my green shirt today to work!  Will see everybody there this weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Saturday's game feels like one of the most important games in the last three years.  On the surface, nothing much is at stake in this game.   An early season match up between a top of the pack MTSU and a bottom dweller but improving NT will not excite the masses.  

No doubt, MTSU has the more talented, more experienced team led by a much more veteran successful coaching staff.  They have star power and have just came off a big come-from-behind win.  However, this is sitting up as perfect ambush game.   MTSU has never played particularly well in Denton.  There is a big tenacity for them to look forward to their next game when they have their big rivalry contest against WKU.  NT has improved every week in their overall game and should have a great home field advantage.  

A big upset may be in the works, but I wouldn't bet on it.   I am however, looking forward to a game that I really think NT will play hard and has a chance of winning.   

We should consider taking the attitude to just enjoy each Small Step.  

One game (W or L) is not going to diffuse the long term term goal our entire UNT athletic management team have set for our football & entire athletic program.   Most fans & alums feel as good about that aspect as they do watching the further development of this young football team. 

"IF"... we're part of a perfect storm & pull off a major upset tomorrow night someone please tell the stadium attendants they can expect fans, alums & students to not want to leave our victorious, sacred battleground 15 minutes after the final gun so they can lock the gates & go home.  Post B-C game (& win) you'd thought there was a bomb scare the attendants were so busy trying to hustle a few of us stragglers out of the stadium. 

So...shall we just enjoy those small steps now because it doesn't take a  palm reader to see much bigger steps are on the way.  Just sayin'...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1