'18 QB Jason Bean (Mansfield Lake Ridge)

GMG24

On 6/28/2017 at 9:07 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

Thanks for posting this link.  I had watched some other film but they have been older.  This film is night and day better.  Instead of throwing a lot of jump balls from the back of his heals, this JR film shows him standing tall in the pocket and making decisive throws.  Big arm, quick feet, speed, decisive ... love this commitment.

So, for everyone to know if you click a kids hudl page and the video is old, there are a few tabs at top of kids pages.  Click video and then you can find most recent that way, not the "pinned" highlights.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 0:42 PM, MeanGreen13 said:

Roderick Young was the first legit recruiting win for Littrell and staff... this is probably a bigger DUB than that!

Sorry to be responding so late, just reading this thread now . . . but Roderick Young was recruited by Dan McCarney and played his freshman year under him and Chico.

• Upvote 3

Yeah it's amazing that player ratings change when kids all across the country get more offers or have offers pulled or commit to schools or decommit or perform at camps or tear ligaments. It's truly mind-blowing that kids aren't rated after their junior year and then locked in at that rating despite anything that happens before signing day. I can't think of any reason why a system like that wouldn't be far more reliable than one that changes.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So they change their star ratings at least once a week and you find that reliable?  Mmmm, okay.

No one's rating, on average, is changed once a week. Are 7 on 7 drills taking place this time of year? Are services at these places taking notes? Are sparq camps happening to get certified measurables? Are there a lack of offers that the services overestimated? There's a rhyme and reason to it. They aren't just jumping on the net and picking on poor little UNT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ben/Lifer:

I think the truth is, it's a little bit of both.  Yes, they do downgrade our guys.  But, you have to look at our track record and ask yourselves, "Well...why wouldn't they?"  We've been a graveyard for some QBs that had nice 2- and 3-star ratings as preps. 

Is it right?  Well, look...those guys have reputations to keep as well.  Until we can prove that we are a school that develops talent, recruiting services are going to be suspicious of guys who commit to us.

(I think they make a mistake doing this with Bean, but...that's just my opinion.)

As to Ben's point, yes...this is something I also preach.  In the 21st Century, you rarely get many true "he slipped through cracks" guys because these kids are always on display.

My son is 11 and has just played one year of tackle football.  But, the amount of football camp junk mail we already get (baseball as well...and, soccer for my daughter, and she's only nine!).

There are camp after camp after camp.  Junior Days.  Coaches sending video.  Kids posting their own videos.  Game film. 

The days of Pat Jones hiding/not returning Barry Sanders' film reels to his high school coaches so they could send it to other schools is long, long gone.  Everybody gets seen. 

And, that's why many of us have concerns with kids who have camped for years and been on film for years only have FCS and Division II offers...then we mysteriously sweep in.  It just isn't very promising.

To me, if you are sweeping in at the last minute - a day or two before signing day - and picking off one of these kids for depth/development, that's one thing.  But, if you are picking them off way in advance, as we seem to have fallen into the habit of doing lately...that's a problem in the long run.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Downvote 2

My angle is you rate the player's ability.  That doesn't change depending on where he decides to play.  Porsches are highly rated high performance cars.  They wouldn't get downgraded because I bought one.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

• 2 months later...

It was interesting reading everyone's comments on how pleased they were with this commitment, and to now read some of the same people criticizing it.  I have looked far and wide trying to find out if Bean is injured, Chandler just beat him out, has his team changed their offense, etc... without any luck.  It just seems really strange that he threw for just short of 3,000 yards last year with 29 TD's and now he and the other QB are combining for around 20 attempts per game and not a lot of yardage.  Does anyone live in the Mansfield area that might have heard something?  At this rate, I would be interested to know if our offer still stands.

Edited by UNTLifer

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It was interesting reading everyone's comments on how please they were with this commitment, and to now read some of the same people criticizing it.  I have look far and wide trying to find out if Bean is injured, Chandler just beat him out, has his team changed their offense, etc... without any luck.  It just seems really strange that he threw for just short of 3,000 yards last year with 29 TD's and now he and the other QB are combining for around 20 attempts per game and not a lot of yardage.  Does anyone live in the Mansfield area that might have heard something?  At this rate, I would be interested to know if our offer still stands.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/lake-ridge-eagles-(mansfield,tx)/football/stats.htm

Looks like they're running their QB more.  16 carriers for 116 yards in the first game.  They haven't updated stats from the last game.  

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/lake-ridge-eagles-(mansfield,tx)/football/stats.htm

Looks like they're running their QB more.  16 carriers for 116 yards in the first game.  They haven't updated stats from the last game.  

That js usually where I go for updates.  I can't confirm his week 2 stats but I posted what someone else listed for this week.  Really odd situation.

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

At the end of the day, you don't change offenses and bench a D1 quarterback if it is truly a D1 quarterback.

I don't know, if you've got a D1 pocket passer out there and you run a wishbone, I would think you'd have to try putting an athlete back there that just needs to pitch?

I have no idea what happened to Bean, but I just think your post might be over-simplifying things.

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't know, if you've got a D1 pocket passer out there and you run a wishbone, I would think you'd have to try putting an athlete back there that just needs to pitch?

I have no idea what happened to Bean, but I just think your post might be over-simplifying things.

Does anyone know if Mansfield Lake Ridge has a new HC or even OC?    

If it's still the same coaching staff as last year, then I highly doubt they'd just completely switch up their offensive philosophy from a pretty good one last year (going 3 rounds deep in the playoffs, eventually losing to the State Champs, Highland Park).   Lots of questions here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

If you had a d1 pocket passer you wouldn't switch to the wishbone. There are 130 d1 teams and 1,000s of high school teams. If you have D1 talent you use it unless you enjoy wasting talent and losing games.

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Does anyone know if Mansfield Lake Ridge has a new HC or even OC?    

If it's still the same coaching staff as last year, then I highly doubt they'd just completely switch up their offensive philosophy from a pretty good one last year (going 3 rounds deep in the playoffs, eventually losing to the State Champs, Highland Park).   Lots of questions here.

Why not? You put a QB in who can run you've now evened out defenses advantage as they now have to account for all 11 dudes.  Offenses with a non running QB are much easier to defend than ones with a running threat at QB.   My guess is Bean go at hurt somehow they decided to go with this'll kid in the mean time then realized what they had and said hmmm this is solid.  Had a competition for the job and this kid won bc of what he does with his feet.  Hell they've had 4 D1 QBs in their last 4 starting QB's..  

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Why not? You put a QB in who can run you've now evened out defenses advantage as they now have to account for all 11 dudes.  Offenses with a non running QB are much easier to defend than ones with a running threat at QB.   My guess is Bean go at hurt somehow they decided to go with this'll kid in the mean time then realized what they had and said hmmm this is solid.  Had a competition for the job and this kid won bc of what he does with his feet.  Hell they've had 4 D1 QBs in their last 4 starting QB's..  

Not like Bean was a statue.  He ran for almost 600yds and 7 TDs last season.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not like Bean was a statue.  He ran for almost 600yds and 7 TDs last season.

No doubt, but those were on scrambles primarily, not designed runs.  He can scoot for sure.