B12 Chooses Preferred List Candidates

Cerebus

Commercial Appeal: Memphis a finalist for Big 12 expansion

Blaudschun tempers the report with "word has it" that invitations have been sent to Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UConn, South Florida and Central Florida from the American Athletic Conference, along with football independent BYU and two other AAC schools.

According to the story, each finalist is expected to make presentations to Big 12 officials — "presumably in Dallas" — during the next few weeks. After receiving the presentations, league commissioner Bob Bowlsby and his staff will trim the list to two candidates, Blaudschun writes, and Bowlsby will make his recommendations before the Big 12's board of directors at a scheduled October meeting. At that point, the board, comprised of league presidents and chancellors, conceivably could "vote to issue invitations.

Who would have though when we played Memphis in the NO Bowl (or beat Cincinnati, or played UH, or USF or possibly SMU) that a few short years later they might be in the B12.

Lost opportunities.  

This seems odd to me.  Why would the Big 12 put out a list that would alienate all the schools not chosen ?  Those not chosen will be the list of schools, specifically, that the Big 12 did not want.  The wiser approach would simply to announce the choice and be quiet about the non-chosen. 

but that's just me.

BEAT southern meth

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Commercial Appeal: Memphis a finalist for Big 12 expansion

Who would have though when we played Memphis in the NO Bowl (or beat Cincinnati, or played UH, or USF or possibly SMU) that a few short years later they might be in the B12.

Lost opportunities.  

Yes, former MVC conference mates Cincinnati, Memphis, and Louisville all moving up in the food chain. And to think we used to whip them like a red-headed stepchild!

• Upvote 4

Houston should get the invite. The B12 is basically almost half Texas though. So their location works against them. Cincy would probably be the best bet to link West Virginia a close travel partner. 

This is hard to take in as a UNT fan/alumni. If Houston does go... Is it even remotely possible to get into the AAC with SMU there? Serious question.. I know they block us, but if there was a way around their block?

Edited by GreenTexan13

4 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Houston should get the invite. The B12 is basically almost half Texas though. So their location works against them. Cincy would probably be the best bet to link West Virginia a close travel partner. 

This is hard to take in as a UNT fan. If Houston does go... Is it even remotely possible to get into the AAC with SMU there? Serious question.. I know they block us, but if there was a way around that?

Screw going around it. Bust through their BS and entrench ourselves into the AAC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Last time I attended the Cincy vs North Texas game at Fouts while in college we beat them 55-34.  Before that, 34-14, 35-13 and 28-14.  All wins for the Green.  Times have sure changed.  UNT really dropped the ball when the landscape starting changing.  What a shame.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

Thanks Brett.  So lets look at the AAC.  Is that a conference we want to be in?

If Wren makes something happen while we are in our current state of rebuilding (and him being so recently hired), that would pretty much negate any skepticism about the hire.

I could be disappointed we didn't at least pick up the phone with the BXII, but I have no idea if that door closed before Wren was brought in.

Houston is a head fake.  BYU is sitting pretty as an independent right now, but may be worried about a future shake-out.  Florida schools don't fit well geographically, same with UConn.  Memphis is interesting.  I could see a Memphis/BYU expansion.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

So, BYU and Cincy should be the two that get picked, with Memphis and Houston next.

If that occurs, the AAC will replace Cincy with NIU, Memphis with MUTS, and Houston with Rice.

CUSA would then replace MUTS and Rice with Arky State and ULL.

And doomsday will fall upon GMG. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I know I'm gonna hate myself for asking this, but why?

Sunbelt following us probably. I think I'd agree with Ben.. Obviously our last season doesn't warrant us the attention. But I hope we at least look into getting into the AAC if a couple spots open up. Yes... I know SMU and geography... But get our names out there and push hard for it.

Let's say the Big 12-2 decides to take 4 and spurns BYU.  Instead they take HOU, Cincy, MEM and USF or UCF to get to 14.

That leaves the AAC with:

1. Temple
  2. USF or UCF
  3. ECU
  4. Tulsa
  5. Tulane
  6. SMU
  7. UCONN
  8. Navy

ESPN has a clause in the TV contract that they can cancel if a certain number and combination of teams leave the conference.

If the rumor is true, UCONN goes back with its brothers to play basketball in the Big East and joins the MAC football only. That would bring the MAC to a total of 14 teams.

Would Navy stick around? They are football only right now. They will have no problem filling out a schedule as an independent.

If those two things happen, the AAC will look like this:

1. Temple
  2. USF or UCF
  3. ECU
  4. Tulsa
  5. Tulane
  6. SMU

At this point would it make more sense for a CUSA team to jump ship to join this group that will likely fall back down to earth with ESPN pulling the TV deal? Or would it make more sense to stand strong as a conference and force the G5 re-shuffle?

From a long term strategic standpoint, why would the P5/ESPN not want to destroy the "best" G5 conference in order to put a final strangle hold on TV dollars, the National Championship and club membership?

ESPN will have to pay the new Big 12 members regardless. To help offset this cost, why not scrap the AAC contract?

At this point the remaining members of the AAC, CUSA, MWC, MAC and Sun Belt need to get together and, as others have mentioned, waive entrance/exit fees in order to realign geographically. In this scenario, the MAC and MWC would probably be set and stand-pat.

A guy can dream can't he?

Edited by GangGreen
Spacing

2 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Sunbelt following us probably. I think I'd agree with Ben.. Obviously our last season doesn't warrant us the attention. But I hope we at least look into getting into the AAC if a couple spots open up. Yes... I know SMU and geography... But get our names out there and push hard for it.

SMU has Tulane, Tulsa, and probably Rice on their side for votes--always have. Those privates care for each other as much as possible.

SMU would do what they did back when CUSA had an opening--back an out of state public school with no market (La Tech), just making it clear that they want nothing to do with a close conference rival not named TCU. It was a blimp to make sure UTEP got in before we did.

Our only chance upward involves the MWC, but they are very content to wait out the Big XII and get the best of the leftovers, being TCU, Baylor, and others. Only other way things change is for CUSA to become the best G5 league and have the college football world openly say that. Right now, we are usually ranked with the MAC as the third or fourth best G5 league. That is probably our best chance to jump SMU on the college football totem pole.